Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one year old Caswell treatment is blowing up in my tank. I went to fill up during a long road trip a couple days ago and saw about a one-inch square in the tank that had no more coating. It is going to get a lot worse because I can see the coating lifting up around missing Caswell.
A word to the wise…get your tank sealing done by someone good. I did not use any of the guys on this site. I went to a local shop because I did not want to miss 2 weeks of riding by sending my tank out of town. Now my GT runs on gas and chunks of Caswell.
Any advice or experience on what the next best step is? Can the existing Caswell be stripped from the tank and then try again, or did I just buy myself a brand new tank?

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
Makes sense to read the instructions and follow them to the letter.
Anyone can paint but there are good painters and then painters...
Pay now or later...
Good luck with something Ducati should have looked after in the first place...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
My one year old Caswell treatment is blowing up in my tank. I went to fill up during a long road trip a couple days ago and saw about a one-inch square in the tank that had no more coating. It is going to get a lot worse because I can see the coating lifting up around missing Caswell.
A word to the wise…get your tank sealing done by someone good. I did not use any of the guys on this site. I went to a local shop because I did not want to miss 2 weeks of riding by sending my tank out of town. Now my GT runs on gas and chunks of Caswell.
Any advice or experience on what the next best step is? Can the existing Caswell be stripped from the tank and then try again, or did I just buy myself a brand new tank?
Contact JC at JCPakbikes. He can fix you up.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

6,048 Posts
We have a special technique that can remove 99% of any existing coating and recoat it
Email me for more info
We offer a lifetime guarantee against our work failing

JC

6,048 Posts
Following the instructions Caswell provides will not give 100% adhesion of the material. The inner tank has to be etched and scored up so the material will bond to the inner surface of the tank
We use a special custom built motorized tumbler and with our special abrasion media we tumble it 10 or more hours to get the inner surface nice and rough so the caswell has something to adhere to
The adhesion is a mechanical one and not chemical so if the surface is smooth or glossy the caswell will not adhere properly

We have gone above and beyond the recommended installation instructions
and continuously look to improve the process and technique.
600 tanks and counting

Makes sense to read the instructions and follow them to the letter.
Anyone can paint but there are good painters and then painters...
Pay now or later...
Good luck with something Ducati should have looked after in the first place...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Caswell coat...

I went through JC's guy, but I really didn't know he went through that process to prep the tank - what seemed kinda pricey now seems like a bargain!

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
careful running it as is so it doesnt get into the fuel pump and really start to do some interesting stuff. drag to hear. good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just got my new coated tank back from JC last week. Glad to hear the level of prep involved. Still contemplating leaving it in the box as a selling point and putting out feelers for a sale with all this talk of increasing SC prices.

Hope the Caswell holds. I had originally planned on keeping this bike till my celestial dirt nap but I'm not sure that the plastic is going to hold that long, with our without coating.

6,048 Posts
I want a steel tank so I can use my magnetic tank bag again
;)

Just got my new coated tank back from JC last week. Glad to hear the level of prep involved. Still contemplating leaving it in the box as a selling point and putting out feelers for a sale with all this talk of increasing SC prices.

Hope the Caswell holds. I had originally planned on keeping this bike till my celestial dirt nap but I'm not sure that the plastic is going to hold that long, with our without coating.

6,048 Posts
I remember when I went to pick up my PS I was really excited and packed my Helmet, new boots and my trusty Magnetic tank bag I had been using on my ST3
Signed the final papers
gleefully received my keys
geared up
and
put the Magnetic tank bag on the tank and it slipped off the tank with a big THUD!
WTF?
Stupid me.....
WTF?
Salesman Shrugged and chucklingly... said "Yup, it's not a steel tank"
Had to leave the tank bag with the dealer so i could ride home
:(
Oh well at least it was and still is the coolest bike I have had to own to date

me too! I've been riding the girlfriend's GS500 to work lately, and remembered how much I missed the magnetic bag. Someone, get on it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts