Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some say hh pads on iron rotors will run too hot. ebc claims they work fine. anyone have first hand experience here?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Are you racing? I used HH pads on iron discs for about 9yrs. of racing and had no problems at all.I did replace them when they started to crack between the cooling holes but they all do that eventually no matter what pads you use.In street use it is unlikely you will get the brakes hot enough long enough to cause any problems.Just be careful,The added bite will suprise you when you grab a handful.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no racer here just hard street riding. thx for the replys. hh pads are awesome!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just a pad compound... believe its a metallic type. Several manufacturers make them, EBC does, Galfer does (that's what I've got), I think Ferodo does, etc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
"hh" is not a material designation or metallic compound. It is a friction rating. The brake industry had to come up with a way to measure the friction the various pad materials created, and for it to repeatable at each manufacturing facility. I wouldn't assume that determining which pad is suitable for your ductile iron rotors by the friction rating alone would be the best path. Sintered metallic pads are not all equal, some use bronze metallic shavings some use steel shavings. The steel shavings will eat iron rotors. A magnet is your friend when chosing sintered pads for iron rotors. I use organic pads, YMMV.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
We have seen a lot of iron rotors warp when using the wrong pad.
Choose carefully and make sure the pad is compatible.

-M

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I've been using sintered pads for decades with cast iron disks on my Guzzis.

I have used Dunlapads and EBC HH sintered (depending on the caliper, my LeMans has had 916 calipers for the past 10+ years)

They work great, but are hard on the disks (i.e. they eat them)

I much prefer Ferodo CP911* (now replaced by CP211, which seem even better). Better braking, with minimal disk wear.

Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
ditto.
I use the ferodo cp211 same as the old cp911 the work great not too much initial bite very strong and progressive and consistence very easy on the iron rotors

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
do you ride in the wet? if so - hh copper sintered and cast iron can be an issue. There are also two types of ebc pads, street and track. i don't know about the 900ss pads, if there are two in that model. I know there are for jap supersport classes. I wouldn't even consider the track versions on the street.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
do you ride in the wet? if so - hh copper sintered and cast iron can be an issue.
Actually, that's why I started using sintered on my Guzzis, because I found they worked much better in the wet with my cast-iron disks!

Tom

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Actually, that's why I started using sintered on my Guzzis, because I found they worked much better in the wet with my cast-iron disks!

Tom
I think that once they are warmed/dried, yes, but you don't always have time to dry them in traffic. Highway sure, but not in traffic. Just me though I guess.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I think that once they are warmed/dried, yes, but you don't always have time to dry them in traffic. Highway sure, but not in traffic. Just me though I guess.
Actually, they work much better wet and cold than the OEM pads.

Warm/dry anything works.

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts