Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I buy a case saver ? I tried Cycleworks and they no longer show one. They want $30 on eBay which seems a little steep for a piece of curved metal. Is that the going rate ?

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
I think I paid $25. Cheap insurance, and I'm a cheap ass. Of course, I couldn't bend a pic of metal without cracking three or four others.

Just sayin'.

Have a good one.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I know the standard ones will not fit a 750 IE. there is a ridge in the case that prevents them from installing properlly . I thought someone on this site had some for sale?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't think $30 is too much to ask. If they are a small production batch item the fabrication labor cost is the bulk of the expense.
If you have ever had a chain let go, and I have, this is really cheap insurance and you won't be chasing an insurance adjuster trying to collect

·
Señor Member
8,417 Posts
That does seem a little high priced for such a small piece of metal till you need it and don't have it. I had a chain break at freeway speed, that little piece of metal saved me a bunch of money.

·
Registered
954 Posts
(Ahem) :)

All with International postage, sent these all round the world?

All 2mm stainless steel, will be doing another VERY small run of titanium savers too in about a fortnight?

Dry-clutch, 851 through to the 1198:

Ducati 900SS ST2 ST4 M900 916 749 999 1098 1198 crankcase case saver stainless | eBay

1100/1100Evo Monster & Hypermotard:

Ducati M1100 1100 Evo 1100Evo Monster stainless crankcase case saver | eBay

600/750 carby (before the slave cylinder was added by the sprocket cavity, late 90's):

Ducati 600SS 600 SS M600 M750 750SS Monster crankcase case saver stainless race | eBay

I do an S4/S4R/S4RS saver as well, same as the dry-clutch saver but has an extra cutout to avoid the nubbin inbetween the slave and the sprocket shaft? Will list one ASAP! :)

ESSENTIAL Insurance for your Ducati...

Monster chain venting its cases...

blow up - YouTube

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't doubt the necessity to keep my cases from being destroyed, but by that logic an axle nut is worth a thousand dollars, because I'm not riding anywhere without one. But I do understand the peace of mind factor, that's why I'm in the market. In my case, I'm weighing buying vs making one. One question , though. I've had chain driven motorcycles that made a lot more power and I've never broken a chain. If these chains are breaking, why ? I have an oversize chain on mine anyway, as added insurance. Someone on a different thread claimed chain whip was causing the chain to jump the front sprocket and then, due to the shape of the case, the chain wadded up and broke everything. This seems a more likely scenario on a 80-90 HP bike. To keep this from happening, I mounted a bearing about 1/2" above the top row of chain. It's mounted to the swing arm with an aluminum bracket with the bolt that holds the chain guide on the side of the swing arm. It centers about 5" behind the sprocket centerline. If my chain rises during braking or downshifting , it cannot climb over the front sprocket. 470four, I take it you don't list those in the US eBay. I know shipping isn't cheap Intl.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd like to see a Pic of this if possible duc96cr
I mounted a bearing about 1/2" above the top row of chain. It's mounted to the swing arm with an aluminum bracket with the bolt that holds the chain guide on the side of the swing arm. It centers about 5" behind the sprocket centerline. If my chain rises during braking or downshifting , it cannot climb over the front sprocket.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Duc96cr- all listings are open to international bids? :)
Sold quite a few to Australia, USA, Europe, Asia etc? Postage to the States is as per listing- £10.88

Am also open to PayPal sales as a buy-it-now? Pm for details :)

·
Registered
954 Posts

:eek:

This is an early saver that got put to good use after a friends SS chucked its chain off its back sprocket on a track day??

The problem being a broken chain will get flicked off the sprocket and wedged into either the V-shaped cutout in this pic under the slave, or above the clutch pushrod? The alloy cases wont cope with said chain being stuffed into it under full throttle & will break up, dropping oil over you back tyre & boot. :(

Cheaper and less faff than new cases. ;)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Wow is this a common problem with the Supersports? :eek:

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's just plain ugly ! 470, you are great salesman ! As far as my roller chain guide, I don't know how to post a picture, but if my wife will help, I'll put one on. Took me about an hour to measure , make and install.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow is this a common problem with the Supersports? :eek:
ALL big Ducati's, all big twins even? :eek:

Where an inline four will smooooothly whistle its way up to top power, causing little stress to the drivetrain a twin will THUDTHUD THUDTHUD from nothing, huge wads of torque that will *ping* a worn or faulty chain and then - half a second later - STUFF that chain right inside your engine... :(

So yes - better to fit one and never need it than to have your chain break (tuned engine, pillion, track/race days etc) have to buy a new bottom end, and spend Summer sunny days rebuilding your Doocat.

Ducati used to make the savers themselves! They stopped doing them in 2005, presumably as a cost-cutting exercise??

Gives me a niche to fill tho lol :D

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's just plain ugly ! 470, you are great salesman ! As far as my roller chain guide, I don't know how to post a picture, but if my wife will help, I'll put one on. Took me about an hour to measure , make and install.
Parts list: Alum. strip 1/8x3/4x5". brg: RBC Y-32L, 2" shoulder bolt w/310" shoulder. spacers or washers . 310" hole, nyloc nut

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Awesome duc96cr !!
i'm constantly amazed at how creative & resourceful all you guys are on the Forums.."necessity is the mother of invention" or something along those lines...hehehe:)...Looks like another little garage project for me coming up..Thanks for posting the materials list as well mate even if its in foreign numbers...*joking...i'm old enough & lucky enough to be conversant in both metric & imperial

1 - 20 of 46 Posts