Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corse Dynamics Case Saver. Motowheels = $29.95 ($23.95 with mil-vet discount). Laser cut stainless steel, easy install.

Foo Foo .. or .. For Real?

LINK = https://motowheels.com/i-8328068-corse-dynamics-ducati-stainless-steel-case-saver-chain-guard.html

We used these on dirt bikes back before fire was discovered, but some of them were pretty much worthless. Especially if the chain packed up in one of the higher gears and hard on the gas. Their effectiveness also depended somewhat on the design of a given bike's cases and the case saver mountings.

How well does this one work on an air cooled 900? I suppose for $24 bucks it could be worth a try?

:yeah:

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I believe on some of these you need to also run a 14 tooth front sprocket for clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just knowing the carnage that can happen without one I'd say 24 bucks is pretty reasonable insurance. I doesn't appear as robust as a lot that I have seen relating to dirt bikes but anything to at least slow the impact and keep the chain from wadding up between he sprocket and case would be a good thing.

Reactions: Mojo66

·
Señor Member
8,378 Posts
I installed one right before going on a long ride for the first WCM. On the return trip my bike threw its chain. Fortunately for me it all rolled out the back. When I replaced the chain and sprockets I found two neat rows of deep gouges on the case saver the width of the chain. My guess is they were left by the last links going over the sprocket. It did what it was supposed to, best $25 investment at the time.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well then, seems like a done deal.

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions everyone.

:)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have run one of these for years. I bought two and still have the second one that one that never made it onto the 999. And for the record these definitely work with a 15th sprocket.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I run one on my bike and a buddy of mine runs one on his 999 as well.

It's cheap insurance Rex because a broken engine case is definitely not a pretty sight.
I was onboard before seeing your post and the images you attached. But now I am TOTALLY SOLD on the use of the case saver, after seeing the damage created by a packed chain. Dayum son! There's a whole lotta money in those pics!

Without any doubt ... totally well worth the lousy $24 bucks they cost!

I have run one of these for years. I bought two and still have the second one that one that never made it onto the 999. And for the record these definitely work with a 15th sprocket.
And even better news!

Alrighty then ... I'm off to Motowheels to add one of those to my shopping cart. So far it's a pair of Exact Fit timing belts, one of those battery cable kits, and I just added one of the case savers.

Total = $149.52 with free shipping.

Yet another great day as a member of this bad ass forum membership.

... we need a "thumbs up" emogee ...

:wink2: :smile2: :wink2: :grin2: :wink2:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Although all the pictures show it removed, use of this guard still allows the sprocket cover to go back on,...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
As both my Ducatis have suffered a derailed chain at some point in their moto lives, I run a case saver on my 996 currently and there will be one on my Supersport before it turns a wheel in anger.

The damage to the alternator cover on the 996 was bad enough that I had to buy a new to me replacement. There was thankfully little damage to the crankcase half.

The Supersport derailment caused serious but fixable damage to both the crankcase half, as well as the alternator cover. When I'm ready I'll post images and the details of that project. Right now, I'm only just finishing the repairs on that damage.

Definitely though, a case saver is cheap insurance against the damage that can ensue when a chain derails. I hope I don't ever experience that. Been riding for almost 30 years now, and never derailed a chain.....sean

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi,

Yes for sure! get one. Cheap insurance given the horrors that can ensue If your chain decides break on you.
I got mine from Desmo Times about the same price.

PS: I also got a freebie case saver with my Cox radiator & oil cooler guards (from Bellissimoto)
So I have a spare if anyone else needs one.

L8TR
Pete

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have the guys at Moto Wheels checking for me if this same item will also work on my 91 907ie, if so I will be getting one for the 900ss & one for the 907ie. Cheap insurance if I never have the chain derail so be it and good--but if I do the cost of this is way the hell less then the fix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts