Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody run into this? This is a 1970 widecase 350 desmo. This is the closest gasket in the kit, the gasket covers half the oil passage hole and I'm worried about getting oil up into the engine. Just cutting it out wont work either because the seal will be compromised and again it needs the seal to retain pressure. Any ideas? Any recommendation on a truer gasket set?

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Trace the case with a mechanical pencil, scan the trace, convert it to a vector drawing in CAD and laser cut a new gasket. That's what I do.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Trace the case with a mechanical pencil, scan the trace, convert it to a vector drawing in CAD and laser cut a new gasket. That's what I do.
Casor thats a good idea but we dont have access to those pieces of equipment.
"We"?

There are any number of sources that will do that for you. You send them the trace of the gasket, they do all of the scanning/CNC stuff and send you the gasket.

·
Registered
214 Posts
the gasket in your picture is for a very late ( about 73 /74 ) crankcase . those cases have the 2 thru bolt in the front and rear of the barrel spaced further apart .

correct gaskets are available . i have seen gasket sets that had both style gaskets in them . they where made by Athena .

we used to race Ducati singles and the centre gasket kept on creeping out when the engines where used in anger so i ditched the centre gaskedt and used grey gasket compound like threebond or yamaha bond and it worked like a charm .

regards Eldert

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Casor thats a good idea but we dont have access to those pieces of equipment.

Does anybody know if the correct gasket is available?
Mike,

If you can't find the proper gasket let me know. If you can get me a clean pic of the case, making sure the camera is as close to perpendicular as possible to the gasket face, along with some reference dimensions, I can get you a CAD model of the mating face/gasket that you could then print and use as a cut line template. Here is the process...

Import image to sketch plane and determine reference dimension.

Calibrate sketch image by entering true distance for reference dimension.

Sketch object geometry on top of reference image. This technique typically yields geometry which is within +/- .25mm tolerance.

The entire process would take between 15 min to an hour, depending on the complexity of the geometry. I used this approach to create 3D surfaces of the Pirelli Trofeo R's on the new Mono from laser scan data of the tire profile which they had given us. Point being, those scans had over 4K data points which made up the spline for the tire profile, and those took approx 1 hour each. I doubt this case is anywhere near as complex, so no worries on your end about taking up my time.

Besides, I'd love to help out if you need it. Let me know.

Attachments

·
Bon Vivant
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the gasket in your picture is for a very late ( about 73 /74 ) crankcase . those cases have the 2 thru bolt in the front and rear of the barrel spaced further apart .

correct gaskets are available . i have seen gasket sets that had both style gaskets in them . they where made by Athena .

we used to race Ducati singles and the centre gasket kept on creeping out when the engines where used in anger so i ditched the centre gaskedt and used grey gasket compound like threebond or yamaha bond and it worked like a charm .

regards Eldert

Thank you Eldert! I found the Athena set and ordered it. hopefully that will do the trick. I don't plan on racing this bike so we should be OK and the gearbox and crank are already shimmed for .012 gasket thickness so I'd prefer not to start over if we can find the right gasket. I was also concerned about the oil baffle that's built into the gasket, did you find any issues around not running this baffle?

·
Bon Vivant
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike,

If you can't find the proper gasket let me know. If you can get me a clean pic of the case, making sure the camera is as close to perpendicular as possible to the gasket face, along with some reference dimensions, I can get you a CAD model of the mating face/gasket that you could then print and use as a cut line template. Here is the process...

Import image to sketch plane and determine reference dimension.

Calibrate sketch image by entering true distance for reference dimension.

Sketch object geometry on top of reference image. This technique typically yields geometry which is within +/- .25mm tolerance.

The entire process would take between 15 min to an hour, depending on the complexity of the geometry. I used this approach to create 3D surfaces of the Pirelli Trofeo R's on the new Mono from laser scan data of the tire profile which they had given us. Point being, those scans had over 4K data points which made up the spline for the tire profile, and those took approx 1 hour each. I doubt this case is anywhere near as complex, so no worries on your end about taking up my time.

Besides, I'd love to help out if you need it. Let me know.

Wow, thanks very much for the offer! I'm gonna try to avoid going this deep but if all else fails I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Hi flynbulldog,

I can't answer from experience, but Anthony Ainslie, who used to be the UK's top tuner of Ducati Singles, told me that he did not use any gaskets, replacing them with silicone gasket.

Colin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts