Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A previous owner apparently took off with the side stand down. The case where the side stand bolts up was JB welded. Noticed the bike was leaning more and more. Took off the stand and saw the damage. There's another threaded hole next to the side stand. Thinking about getting the case welded, then welding another piece on the side stand bracket to bolt to the open hole, for extra strength, in case the original hole is not as strong after the repair. Thoughts, opinions.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What about using some 6mm / 1/4 alloy plate underneath the stand? Through / thru bolt to the good points (with longer fasteners adding the thickness of the plate) plus the extra hole and tap the plate where the hole is bad. Space where necessary with suitable washers to make the plate stable.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
465 Posts
What about using some 6mm / 1/4 alloy plate underneath the stand? Through / thru bolt to the good points (with longer fasteners adding the thickness of the plate) plus the extra hole and tap the plate where the hole is bad. Space where necessary with suitable washers to make the plate stable.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
thats how i did mine. Still holds 10 years later.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
The dealer in Dallas told me during a pre buy, that the majority of the old SS's out these had the repair. The auto retract stand either got the "left fairing" or the weak "mounting point" if auto-retract was removed. Mine was welded and then a steel plate put in for additional strength. Belt and suspenders thing...

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
My '95 suffered the same sidestand induced damage. The previous owner fabricated a plate from stainless steel (from what I can tell) and used the adjacent threaded hole (forward) to mount the side stand. It worked okay. When I started refurbishing the bike, I got an M6 threaded rod, and using JB weld, made a third mount. It looks, and functions well, with no interference to the shift rod. The plate adds strength and stability to the side stand.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Look at 916/748 side stand

You might take a look at a 916/748 side stand. When I installed rear sets on my 1991 900Ss the existing side stand would not work with the new foot position. I moved the side stand off my 1997 916 over to my 900 SS and it alleviated the issue since the 916 side stand bolts into a different set of mounting holes on the 900 Cases. It solved the issue with the foot interference on the rear sets and utilized the different mounting holes on the cases. It does not change the angle or way the bike sits on the side. You might consider this as an option if the other mounting holes are not compromised. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Anyone else tried this?

You might take a look at a 916/748 side stand. When I installed rear sets on my 1991 900Ss the existing side stand would not work with the new foot position. I moved the side stand off my 1997 916 over to my 900 SS and it alleviated the issue since the 916 side stand bolts into a different set of mounting holes on the 900 Cases. It solved the issue with the foot interference on the rear sets and utilized the different mounting holes on the cases. It does not change the angle or way the bike sits on the side. You might consider this as an option if the other mounting holes are not compromised. Hope this helps.
My 1995 SS suffered this fate when the new owner took it on his first ride. He came home with a floppy side stand and a broken front case mount. Piece is missing as well. I have had a number of suggestions to have a really good welder fix it and to look at the local airport to find one. Don't think I want to recommend this to the new owner (who lives next door). Rather have someone do it who's had experience. duc96cr lives 60 miles away and I tried to send him a PM but his mailbox is full:surprise:
ducvet advises there are good ones around him in NH and as much as I'd like to take it there, it's not just around the corner.
So - my question: has anyone tried putting on the assemble from a 916/748 as this old post suggests?? They are available used on eBay. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Damn that picture is ugly, I have no good suggestion other then -I hate J.B. Weld that crap is not even close to a proper repair for any motorcycle--not even a Harley lol

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I've gone through this myself.

The 900SS OEM stand utilized the center and rear holes. The Superbike stands utilize the center and front holes.

You've broken the center hole, critical for both stands. The solution is a 1/4" plate as stated above. I had a Ducati friendly metal fabber on this forum make me a plate, but unfortunately he's passed on. There's an functional technical drawing for the plate in PDF, in French, I'm happy to share it if you like. Screenshot is attached that has all the necessary measurements.

Nichols will sell you an 1/16" steel plate, I have one on the shelf. None of the holes were tapped and I had no idea how to make use of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's really great!!
Many thanks - we have access to good metal fab folks here and they can make this up for him.
Amazing!

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is why I love this site!
The pdf may have French descriptions but the dimensions are both metric and imperial. I plan to make one up out of clear plastic first and then if all's well we will have a local shop make one up - perhaps in 1/4" stainless.
The really nice thing is that it fully restores the functionality without looking out of place.
Thanks psyopper.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
My 1995 SS suffered this fate when the new owner took it on his first ride. He came home with a floppy side stand and a broken front case mount. Piece is missing as well. I have had a number of suggestions to have a really good welder fix it and to look at the local airport to find one. Don't think I want to recommend this to the new owner (who lives next door). Rather have someone do it who's had experience. duc96cr lives 60 miles away and I tried to send him a PM but his mailbox is full:surprise:
ducvet advises there are good ones around him in NH and as much as I'd like to take it there, it's not just around the corner.
So - my question: has anyone tried putting on the assemble from a 916/748 as this old post suggests?? They are available used on eBay. Thanks!!
Sorry. I emptied my mailbox.:grin2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks duc96cr!
I was just wondering if you had a bead on a really good welder in our area capable of repairing this side stand case mount. In the meantime I've been given the specs for a mounting plate that uses the 2 good mounts and can take another screw for the broken center one. I was thinking of using 1/4" stainless to have it made.
I've attached a photo showing what we're dealing with here.
I also notice the shift link seems to be bent ....
BTW: I had no idea there would be so much black crap from the chain stored behind the mount!
Thanks.
Wayne

Attachments

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I've attached a photo showing what we're dealing with here.

Wayne
For the love of all things digital, please use the original PDF that I have attached to this post. I took a screenshot of the original PDF it so that it would display in the forum browser window and all the down-conversion back to PDF looks terrible and does no justice to the original author.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
The picture is a bit hard to make out -but is the boss broken 1/2 off? -and does the damaged hole go farther into the case --say another 10-15 mm? --only if it goes another 10-20 mm into the case you could probably use a time-sert--but not if the hole ends at the bottom of the broken boss----plus you would need to put a 1/2 spacer the size of the broken off boss just to give a flush place to mount the plate--but if you have already resolved this issue then this is moot

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got it thanks!
We'll use this one to make up the bracket.
Yes the damaged hole does go further into the case but I don't trust there's enough flesh to stand up too much. Also likes like the shifter linkage was his - small bend. But that's life - especially with an Italian influence.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Used the drawing provided by psyopper and had our son make up a plate out of aircraft grade aluminum. The center hole was drilled and a steel helicoil used for strength and durability. We chose bolt length carefully and it went together perfectly. The new owner will check it frequently and if it becomes lose we will likely go with lock tight.
So, successful all around!!
Thanks to all...

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts