Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the were Showa's. I know they aren't adjustable. What are the options on these forks to stiffen them up for racing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not to thread jack or anything but has anyone else put a Ohlins fork kit in their Showa forks. They (Ohlins) told me it would bring the forks up to their road and track fork specs. The kit has valves the shim stacks and I put their springs/oil in when they rebuilt the forks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They are Showa forks. You can change the oil level which affects the last part of the stroke, the oil weight which will affect the damping, change springs which affects sag and ride height. Best bet is let an expert modify them to suit your weight and riding style.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now, you can take the caps off without any issues, correct. As far as springs flying out anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, GMD Computrack, Thermosman, Traction Dynamics and I'm sure there are more ... they can all install the cartridge "emulators" and they will drastically improve over the stock setup ..... for racing purposes, for the street I wouldn't worry too much IMHO.

I have always used GMD, but I hear others are just as good and I can always be swayed by performance and word of mouth, oh and Price :D . I also ordered the DVD lectures from Traction Dynamics which although boring as hell is pretty insightful and can help you to set up your own bike with basic settings.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
You can direct-fit a set of fully adjustable Showas from a SS900 or 1000DS '99 through current. Or retrofit Superbike forks with a triple clamp kit from Cycle Cat. If interested in the latter course I have a good set of 996 forks I'll sell for $200. The cyclecat kit is somewhere around $325, I think

·
Registered
126 Posts
The forks are Showa 43U (USD 43mm) units, not adjustable for preload or rebound.

Racetech do spring and revalving kits plus they have a calculatot for weight and use.

FMGV S2043 for valve kit
FRSP S3732 for spring kit

Check their site on www.racetech.com

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you're going to keep the bike, buy the 996 forks/triples and send them out to be revalved (someone like NCR Rick, who I'm told is good).

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks Xseal!

I owned a 1999 750 ss and it had the non adjustable showa forks. That is what i think is on the 2000 also. The conversion to superbike forks would be great. I would not recommend the Ohlins or Penske internals for the non adjustables. A set of springs and a RaceTech Gold Valve upgrade make those forks work very well and is very cost effective.

I am out of the shop for a few days, hosting a group of 20 riders and headed to the track at CMP monday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts