Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week the 01 900ssie/1000ds would not start when I went to hit the starter button. So I ordered a used one on the bay. It came and I installed it and the bike started right up. i rode it maybe 6 or 7 times in 4 days and it started every time, until this morning. It was a used switch.
This afternoon I went back out to the shed to see if it would start. Kickstand up, switch key on, fuel pump runs, press button and nothing. Press run off/on fuel pump runs press start button and nothing. Could I have another bad switch?
What else?
Thanks
At least the super light is running. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Checked the solenoid? They are known to fail from time to time (I've had to replace mine).

See if it clicks when you hit the start button. If it does, try (using a jumper lead) applying power from the battery (or just short between the two terminals - CAREFULLY!) to the terminal of the solenoid that connects to the starter. If it cranks over - there's your problem.

Reactions: jahjah

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Also the white connector onto the starter solenoid can work loose. Just try pushing it on.

I am not near my computer but I did a thread that included Starting Woes in the title. It shows what voltages to see where and when.

I expect it is solenoid related though.

Reactions: ducvet

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Also the white connector onto the starter solenoid can work loose. Just try pushing it on.

I am not near my computer but I did a thread that included Starting Woes in the title. It shows what voltages to see where and when.

I expect it is solenoid related though.
Ah yes - that connector. As mine is now different (I have an alternative solenoid - a Yamaha unit IIRC - which has a different connection setup), I haven't had that problem for many years. If the solenoid doesn't click when you hit the start button - that's the first thing to check. The white connector into the back of the solenoid has a nasty habit of working it's way loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts