Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i'm in the process of installing my carrozzeria wheels on the 1000s.

the problem seems to be a spacer issue with the rear wheel. Pics can be seen here:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/JASON8950645/Bike02?feat=directlink

You can see that I can't get the right oem block spacer to fit. I originally thought it was the right spacer on the rear wheel that was the problem but now i suspect it's the left spacer. The width of the right spacer dictates the relationship between the caliper carrier and the rotor. If the spacer is too big or too small, the rotor won't sit centered in the carrier. In my case, it's pretty much fine. So then I guess the problem is with the left spacer.

If someone who has these wheels installed could take a look at the pics and give me some feedback that would be great.

Also, i noticed that the orange bearings in the wheels don't seem to be protected all that much from the elements. Have any of you experienced premature bearing failure or does everything look fine in the pics?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
hi,

i'm in the process of installing my carrozzeria wheels on the 1000s.

the problem seems to be a spacer issue with the rear wheel. Pics can be seen here:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/JASON8950645/Bike02?feat=directlink

You can see that I can't get the right oem block spacer to fit. I originally thought it was the right spacer on the rear wheel that was the problem but now i suspect it's the left spacer. The width of the right spacer dictates the relationship between the caliper carrier and the rotor. If the spacer is too big or too small, the rotor won't sit centered in the carrier. In my case, it's pretty much fine. So then I guess the problem is with the left spacer.

If someone who has these wheels installed could take a look at the pics and give me some feedback that would be great.

Also, i noticed that the orange bearings in the wheels don't seem to be protected all that much from the elements. Have any of you experienced premature bearing failure or does everything look fine in the pics?

Thanks.
Well that doesn't look right at all, at least not compared to my Vstar/V6 style Carrozerrias, which are for a '06 monoposto, if that makes any difference. Are you using the OEM cush drive or the (Kawasaki) one supplied by Carrozerria?

As memory serves, my Carrozerria "works kit" came with spacers for both sides of the front and rear wheels. I did have trouble with one of the front spacers (left side) and had to have another fabricated and use a 996 (?) axle and rotors. Also, I used the 4 pot Brembos that came with the "works kit." Most people have trouble fitting the front wheel if they're going to have problems with Carrozerrias.

If I were you, I'd email your photos to Carrozerria for guidance. There's a guy there with a Japanese name (Hiashi?) who seems to know his stuff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding the rear wheel, upon closer inspection and many measurements, it's the left spacer that's too wide by about 2.75mm (.108").

The front bolted up fine using the supplied left spacer and reusing the oem right spacer as per the instructions. The instructions mention the reused oem right spacer is 9mm but my measurements indicated 7.5mm. I thought this may have been an issue, but everything lined up and there was no interference with the rotors and pads. I did notice however that inside the front wheel there's an aluminum cylinder that the axle passes through. This cylinder moves around a bit in the wheel. Not left to right, but up/down/around. So lining it up to accept the axle was a bit of a pain, seeing I only have two pairs of hands. The inside diameter of this cylinder is to spec, so once the axle is in place, there's no movement. Once I take it for a ride, i'll know if it's an issue or not. I suspect it won't be though.

So I guess the resolution to fixing the rear wheel fitment, is to either ask Carrozzeria to provide an additional spacer that is the correct dimension, or to simply machine down the one I have here accordingly and hope I don't mess it up.

One thing I did notice while perusing their website and unless I read it wrong, is that their warranty is not valid outside of the U.S.A.

"LIMITED WARRANTY (USA only)
A. Our warranty strictly covers manufacturing defects in material and workmanship in products bought within the continental United States. The warranty is valid from the date of purchase by the original purchaser and for the period of:
12 months for V6 forged wheels
60 months for VSTAR forged wheels

B. Exclusions: a) Parts prone to normal wear and tear including bearings, seals, cush drive assemblies, air valve stems and spacers. b) Damage or failure caused by abuse, misuse, faulty installation and operation, improper or inadequate maintenance, and any modifications not carried out by CARROZZERIA. c) Damage resulting from inadequate packaging or carrier mishandling of returned products. d) All products purchased outside the 50 United States of America. e) All finishes, Polish/Anodize or powdercoated do not carry any type of warranty."

Obviously I came across this little nugget of information after the fact. This would indicate to me that I could theoretically be on my own regarding the rear wheel spacer predicament, but it's not something that's out of my ability to handle.

Other people however may not have access to the tools, have the patience, or mechanical know how to resolve the issue. So if you're buying outside of the U.S. it may be something to keep in mind and at the very least, discuss with sales prior to purchase.

With that being said, i'm quite pleased with the purchase and the wheels look great. Once I take it for a spin i'll have an even better idea if the money was well spent. I'm pretty sure it will be.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have finished talking with the fine folks at Carrozzeria and the main issue (rear spacer) is now resolved.

After discussing my findings with Mark and tech support at Carrozzeria, they confirmed that I do in fact have a spacer that is approx 2.5mm too wide. Even though I technically don't have warranty coverage here in Canada, Mark was still very helpful and is promptly mailing out the correct spacer at no cost to me. Excellent news indeed.

Mark also explained a couple of my other inquiries.

Firstly, the distance tube in the front wheel that moves around a bit prior to axle installation is perfectly normal. Once the axle is in and everything is tightened up, everything is fine. I was told just to be careful when installing the axle and lining up the distance tube inside the wheel so as not to mar anything.

Also, the instructions mention a 9mm oem spacer to be used, when in fact it's a 7.5mm spacer. Being overly cautious and measuring everything prior to install, I was slightly confused but assumed it was the correct spacer seeing that nothing else was remotely close in size. Carrozzeria attributes this discrepancy to a simple typo which I assume will be fixed on future instruction sheets.

Thanks to Mark at Carrozzeria for helping me out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts