Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received a carpool lane violation in Long Beach for crossing the double yellows (code: 216558A). I was also cited for a lack of license plate illumination (although I had a light illuminating the plate and the second responding officer thought that the way I set up the license plate light was great - go figure!) and incorrect location of a license plate (it was mounted under the seat near the rear shock). My estimated total fees for this are below:

Carpool Lane Infraction: $486
2 Mechanical Violations Proof of Corrections: $50
Certificate of Compliance from Certified Light and Brake Station: ~$30
Sheriff Inspection: ~$22
Court Administration Fee for Traffic School: $30
Traffic School: $20

Total: ~$638

Doesn't that seem a bit excessive!?!

When I have the license plate light inspected at the light and brake station, will they pass me even though I don't have a DOT sticker on my taillight (license plate light is built into the taillight)? Also, at the sheriff's inspection, can they / will they not pass me because I have a modded exhaust and / or because of the lack of a DOT sticker on the taillight?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I received a carpool lane violation in Long Beach for crossing the double yellows (code: 216558A). I was also cited for a lack of license plate illumination (although I had a light illuminating the plate and the second responding officer thought that the way I set up the license plate light was great - go figure!) and incorrect location of a license plate (it was mounted under the seat near the rear shock). My estimated total fees for this are below:

Carpool Lane Infraction: $486
2 Mechanical Violations Proof of Corrections: $50
Certificate of Compliance from Certified Light and Brake Station: ~$30
Sheriff Inspection: ~$22
Court Administration Fee for Traffic School: $30
Traffic School: $20

Total: ~$638

Doesn't that seem a bit excessive!?!

When I have the license plate light inspected at the light and brake station, will they pass me even though I don't have a DOT sticker on my taillight (license plate light is built into the taillight)? Also, at the sheriff's inspection, can they / will they not pass me because I have a modded exhaust and / or because of the lack of a DOT sticker on the taillight?
Damm they threw the book @ you! As far as the modded exhaust, don't worry about that, they will only check the items you were cited for. Nothing else.

Good luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, back in 1978 I was riding my RD400 in Hawaii, I had a friend on the back & we were in the carpool lane & I got a ticket.

The signs for the carpool lane stated you need at least 3 people in the vehicle to use it. It would be illegal to have 3 people on a m/c(without a sidecar), so basically it was against the law to ride a motorcycle in the hov lane, even if it was maxed out on occupants :eek:.

I'm guessing the laws have been changed since then.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, back in 1978 I was riding my RD400 in Hawaii, I had a friend on the back & we were in the carpool lane & I got a ticket.

The signs for the carpool lane stated you need at least 3 people in the vehicle to use it. It would be illegal to have 3 people on a m/c(without a sidecar), so basically it was against the law to ride a motorcycle in the hov lane, even if it was maxed out on occupants :eek:.

I'm guessing the laws have been changed since then.
I know in the Bay Area, when there is a 3-person minimum HOV lane having a 2-seater still doesn't cut it. But, bikes are all blessed for HOV use, and doesn't matter if there is a passenger. Also, some bridges are free at certain times for bikes (and carpools).

·
Registered
34 Posts
The CA CHP inspection office is pretty strict with ANY aftermarket mods so I suggest you put the bike back to stock for inspection. They aren't supposed to pass you if you don't have DOT approved lights. Some may even go as far as denying any aftermarket lights even if they are DOT approved. As for the exhaust, I think there is a decibel limit but it doesn't look like you were cited for it so they may not inspect it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Get inspected by LA Cnty Sheriff or LAPD....it'll be cheaper. Why the heck do you need to go to some certified light and brake station? That's stupid and unnecessary. Sheriff ain't gonna look for some DOT sticker or marking; they just look at what you are suppose to correct and see that you corrected it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts