Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Ducati World,

I joined to post this story in honor of one of the finest young men I've known, Carlin Dunne.

Apparently I must post here as an intro first, no better intro than how Carlin brought me into the Ducati world.

A call from Santa Barbara rang on my phone:

“Hello Vince, this is Carlin Dunne calling you about your web inquiry on the Multistrada 950?”

“Yes thanks, I’m new from Texas and looking for a bike to ride all over California, and I’ve decided on the Multi 950, but I’m not sure if I should consider the 1260 because I rode a lot as a kid on light dirt bikes and I just can’t get my head wrapped around these 150hp+ big 1200cc horses”

After a short pause, Carlin says
“Well, there’s an old saying that “there’s no replacement for displacement”, and I would encourage you to look at the Multi 1260S, as you can program it down to a 950 or up to full Ducati performance. And I happen to have a 2018 Demo on the floor with no miles on it that I’ll give you a great deal on, $18K”

“Cool, that sounds as good as it gets, if you can get me financed, I’ll take it. What was your name again?”

“Carlin”……”Carlin Dunne”

The next day, I’m sitting in Carlin’s tiny office at Ducati Santa Barbara, with his dog under his desk, and we are going through the sale paperwork of my first Ducati. I look around and the walls are covered with racing pictures and framed articles and such, and I remember something.

“Hey Carlin, I was in Sacramento a few days ago pumping the Ducati dealer there about Multistradas, and he mentioned that there was a guy who worked at the Ducati dealer in Santa Barbara who won the Pikes Peak race last year”

Without even breaking his concentration on my paperwork, he says “that would be me”

My heart raced and I felt a lump in my throat, and I thought “OH MY EFFING GOD, I am buying my first Ducati from THE guy who just won the legendary Pikes Peak Hill Climb”. And it’s the same model of bike he won the race on. I sat stunned for a moment, freaking out inside and trying to stay cool. Then I gathered my composure, and said “I also heard you were feeling sick and almost didn’t do it”.

He said “Yep, sounds like you heard the long story version” and just kept right on with the paperwork.

I sat there dumbfounded for a little longer, looked harder at the pictures on the wall and trophies enough to see that he also won the Baja 500, then decided screw it I’m going for it and mustered up the courage to say “Well, then since you gave me such a great deal, why don’t you add a full racing exhaust on that bad boy?”.

My request got his full attention. He got this racing mode look on his face, looked at me with a penetrating look for a second and says “Sounds good, that will boost your power up to 10hp and get rid of up to 20lbs of weight, but will be another $2400, and I’ll have to get it through back channels into Cali so it will take a while”

“Fine” I said, thinking I don’t care if it’s $5,000, I’m buying a bike WITH a racing pipe from this guy, are you kidding me?

While Carlin fiddles with the ancient dot matrix printer to finalize paperwork, I walk out into the shop to gaze at my new bike and recover from the fact that I just met a real champion. Like a real true American Cowboy kind of champion, because Pikes Peak ain’t your ordinary race course (it’s not even a race course). OK, I’ll be honest, I was freaking out and having the time of my life.

Then a spry older gentlemen comes up to me and asks “Did you buy the Multistrada?”

“Yes” I said

He says “That’s the best decision you’ll ever make. I’ve owned three Multistradas, put 40,000 miles on one, rode it all over South America”

“Wow” I’m thinking holy crap this guy is hard core, I just want to ride around sunny southern California..

Come to find out he’s Trevor Dunne, Carlin’s dad. Oh, I think, I get it. Carlin is 2nd generation in a motorcycle family, with what looks to be the ultimate father to school his boy to be fastest to the top of the highest mountain in the US. How cool is this? And Trevor runs the mechanic shop? OMG what did I just find? Now I’m really tripping.

Then I start to really look around the store. I came on a mission to buy a motorcycle, but I stumbled upon this classic, vintage Ducati shop with legendary racing history and pedigree, and the legends are alive and in the shop (Trevor is a former pro racer and a legend in my mind now too). Ultra cool people, clearly a top notch service shop if the old man is running it, and geez, the guy selling me the bike won Pikes Peak? I was pinching myself.

It was December 12, 2018. Little did I know that Carlin had only 200 more days to live.

Over the next 6 months, I tore up 4,000 miles of California roads on my Ducati, bought all kinds of upgrades for it and had the Ducati SB shop install them, had the time of my life at 56 years old. I stopped by the shop countless times, where Trevor, Carlin, and Preston (the parts manager) would welcome me and give me tips on great rides or performance upgrades. It was, as I now remember Carlin saying, all about the experience, not just the ride. And they were giving me the experience of my life, helping me ride a Ducati in California with the most absolute of confidence.

Honestly I didn’t know Carlin was racing Pikes Peak again this year until a few weeks before the race. I didn’t even know how many times he had won it. Carlin didn’t care about that either. When I was around him, the person I felt Carlin cared about, was me, and everyone else around.

They say that “people don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.” Carlin Cared. And I knew it.

I remember him emphasizing tire pressure with passion, lecturing me on what brake to use while at a stop so I don’t warp the rotor. One time his dad Trevor was showing me another bike that Carlin thought he was trying to sell me and Carlin came quickly over with the look of a concerned father and made sure I wasn’t even contemplating a bike that was not good for me. I remember thinking, damn, Carlin, The King of the Mountain, really cares about me and my motorcycle experience, this is amazing.

So when I found out he was racing Pikes Peak, I sent him a quick email that said “Hey Carlin, Here’s hoping and praying for a blistering run and you coming home safely. Good Luck and GodSpeed?” to which he replied “Thank You!”

He got the blistering run. But he’s not coming home.

I’ve just spent days trying to figure out what happened and make sense of such an iconic tragedy, but you know what, I don’t care about what or how it happened any more.

The fact is, Carlin Dunne left us on top of the world, on top of his game.

He cared greatly and he dared greatly.

Carlin Dunne was, as President Teddy Roosevelt called a true “man in the arena”, and one of my heros.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
That’s a great story with a very sad ending. It’s always exciting to meet a racing champion in real life, even better to find out he’s a nice person. I’m sorry I’ll never have a chance to meet him.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your detailed and very personal story. It made me remember the time the Dunnes were up at Newcome's at Angeles Crest some years back doing a Ducati Day with a stack of Hypermotards for folks to ride. They were both very warm, open, and down to earth individuals.

“There are no words to describe our shock and sadness. Carlin was part of our family and one of the most genuine and kind men we have ever known. His spirit for this event and love of motorcycling will be remembered forever as his passing leaves a hole in our hearts.”
- Jason Chinnock, CEO Ducati North America, as quoted in Autoweek

Godspeed Mr Dunne!

Reactions: scott

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I'd say that was just about the best damn intro I've read here or anywhere. Thanks for taking the time to post up.

Reactions: scott
1 - 4 of 4 Posts