Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered if someone could give me a bit of info or insight into a Carfax report I ran this morning.

I'm looking to purchase a motorcycle (2000 model) from a guy a fair distance away, he sent me the VIN to run a Carfax.....so I ran it this morning - and it essentially came up with 3 records.

When I looked at the report they were showing essentially a state inspection & 2 x emissions tests (1 x failure & 1 x pass) in 2009 and no other records!

Has anyone got any insight into this - is it something to be wary of, or is it just poor reporting by Carfax? The bike in question looks low mileage & very very clean on the pictures.....but I don't understand the lack of history.

Thanks

Neil

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carfax does not normally report on motorcycles. Anything you do find can just be considered bonus information.
That was sort of my thoughts - is there a system in the US for reporting on them?

I'm from the UK - and we had HPI over there which did motorcycles also.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Wouldn't that mean there were no insurance claims ie..accidents?
I thought that is what they tracked, VIN# things like emissions are probably just search attached finds while looking for VIN info.
:confused:

·
Mr Leakered
8,834 Posts
Nope. I had the same issue when I carfaxed my ST prior to purchase. The report only showed two address changes for the owner.

A call to Carfax noted that they don't track motorcycles eventhough they report the VIN. Crazy. As it wasn't a true history report, they refunded my money.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
I don't put a lot of faith in Carfax for anything. If buying something I check it out carefully or have someone with me that knows what they're looking at. I used to work in autobody and my brother still does. You wouldn't believe how many smashed vehicles make their way through the shop and it never shows up Carfax. From my experience it is overrated and people put too much stock into it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope. I had the same issue when I carfaxed my ST prior to purchase. The report only showed two address changes for the owner.

A call to Carfax noted that they don't track motorcycles eventhough they report the VIN. Crazy. As it wasn't a true history report, they refunded my money.

Have a good one.
I just find it amazing that they'd accept the VIN number and report items as useless as they had!........I've also asked for a refund - see what they come back with!

I don't put a lot of faith in Carfax for anything. If buying something I check it out carefully or have someone with me that knows what they're looking at. I used to work in autobody and my brother still does. You wouldn't believe how many smashed vehicles make their way through the shop and it never shows up Carfax. From my experience it is overrated and people put too much stock into it.
That's always been my thoughts as well - condition is king! I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything odd about it i.e. 10 owners and an accident etc.

Thanks all for the input!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts