Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the above. However, not sure if i can use it with the following Music enhancers..

Using a Bose

QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling™ headphones – Apple® devices

Coupled with this..

FiiO Q1 Mark II Native DSD DAC & AMP.

Starting with the first connection from my Gps with a connecting cable to the Fiio, then out through the Bose earbuds..

My question is it possible to connect with the Cardo Packtalk and still use the my connections and get the same great noise cancelling sound.

Sorry about the layout.

Please and thank you.

·
Administrator
12,122 Posts
I am fairly familiar with the PackTalk Bold system however my knowledge stops at the point of using a headphone amp :D.
You could use the Bose with it and that should work fine if you don't have a clearance problem with them in your helmet.
My best suggestion is to pick up a pair custom molded nice "externally flat" earphones like these so they fit comfortably in your helmet, plug them in the PalkTalk and enjoy the ride: https://www.plugup.com/custom_made_earplug_speakers_stereo_earbudss_s/73.htm

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the reply. I agree with everything you say. "Enjoy the ride"
Was trying for something i think is not out there.
Being able to connect via phone, Gps, amplifier and the noise cancelling earbuds. With better quality music.
Not worried about local journeys , mainly long distances. Not Iron Man.
I am very aware i am not in the living room.I am riding a bike and it gets my full attention.
Have tried using the Bose which also has the ability to talk on the phone at the same time.
Not for useless conversation. More so in case of emergency.
I used to be an EMT. Now retired. Still respond to emergencies.
Would like the ability to communicate.

·
Administrator
12,122 Posts
You will be surprised how well the ability to talk to folks on the com system and phone via the PackTalk works. The "Natural Voice" system for commands works pretty well too as long as you talk in a quiet voice (no matter what speed you are going).
I am very happy to answer any questions I can about the system.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will be surprised how well the ability to talk to folks on the com system and phone via the PackTalk works. The "Natural Voice" system for commands works pretty well too as long as you talk in a quiet voice (no matter what speed you are going).
I am very happy to answer any questions I can about the system.
That is very kind of you.Thank you.

How is the noise feature compared to the Bose? I.e.Background noise?
The Bose is excellent. .Highly recommended. I can still hear sirens.
That is if i can can use good quality earbuds. Not noise cancelling as i can not mount the small unit inside the helmet.?

Not that i am an expert. How is the quality of the music?
The amplifier keeps the music very clean.

I do not expect the PackTalk to be as efficient as the Bose.and an amplifier linked together.

In comparison? Any idea?

Thank you again.

·
Administrator
12,122 Posts
I am a bit of an audio nut like it sounds you are and feel I can hopefully make some reasonable/qualified comments for you.
I have a pair of Sony headphones with the noise cancellation so I am familiar with the sound they provide. The sound quality with a pair of the custom earphones I mentioned with dual drivers running through Cardo or Sena will not be equal to using a headphone amp off the bike but pretty darn good for the intended purpose. You will still hear sirens and surrounding sounds but it is a pretty significant reduction, especially the wind noise. Keep in mind your audio connection will be Bluetooth from your phone to the Cardo so that is probably the biggest deficit in sound quality. Back when I used a wired headset (Starcom1) the sound was really good because everything was wired. I was using an iPod for music then with a controller on the handlebars... ahhh the good old days when everything was just moving to digital from analog :D.
I find myself much less fatigued on longer rides when I wear earplugs or the custom earphones. The two biggest differences for me with the custom ones is I can listen to music at a MUCH lower volume on the bike and being silicone they are comfortable for long periods of time. A lot of offerings out there are for hard plastic custom earphones and after trying a pair from one company (BigEar) they hurt my ears after just 20-30 minutes of riding.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Scott for your troubles. Really appreciated.
Just happened to dig out my old Scala Cardo G4. With ancient helmet. Shoei.
What can i say. OMG the sound was terrible. Once i managed to hook it up. Not like today. Boom and it is done.
Guess i got used to my existing system. Not cheap but no comparison to the G4.
You also make some very excellent points about fatigue. Great ear buds with the Bose.and can ride for longer periods.
Well said.

Might sound silly but i might get the Packtalk, See how that works out. One helmet with that installed The other with old fashioned way. No Scala.
Could also possible try with the Taptalk and still ride with all my music hooked up as it is now.
Be a while before i am riding. Ski season soon when we get more snow.

Thank you so very much. You are the Bomb.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I am looking at the above. However, not sure if i can use it with the following Music enhancers..

Using a Bose

QuietComfort® 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling™ headphones – Apple® devices

Coupled with this..

FiiO Q1 Mark II Native DSD DAC & AMP.

Starting with the first connection from my Gps with a connecting cable to the Fiio, then out through the Bose earbuds..

My question is it possible to connect with the Cardo Packtalk and still use the my connections and get the same great noise cancelling sound.

Sorry about the layout.

Please and thank you.
If you do rig this up let me know how it works. I can't imagine the amp would affect the noise cancellation b/c that all happens by Bose upstream from the amp. What I'm mostly interested in is how you configure the cables. After you fixture the amp to the bike and get USB power connected, it looks like your going to have to rig an audio jack extension from the helmet to the amp, and back again to the earbuds (depending on how long they come from Bose). I love the idea b/c the audio output on the Paktalk is weak IMO...but cables running from the helmet to my bike would drive me nuts. Also not ideal for a multi-bike sitch like I have.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Slowdrive, "Grasshopper"

That is one of my problems. The cables. The connection from the Bose is only about 4" long.. Which needs to be connected directly to the 3.5 mm on the Scala.Side of helmet.
Thinking of my options.
Perhaps, an extension from the Scala to the Bose, into my left side pocket. Which will then run from my pocket to the amplifier. already mounted on the handlebars.
Here lies my other situation. From the Scala with the 3.5mm connection that will run to my earbuds.
The amplifier is connected to the Gps.
The Gps is my main outlet for the music.
I am a hands on guy and just imagining the best way to put all this together.
Another option is to mount the small Bose unit onto the helmet with velcro.

If you go to my link above you will see the connections on the Bose.

Not sure i am explaining myself. Hope this helps.
Reading this again looks like i am talking double de gook

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lets see if i can make more sense out of this.

Gps is the master system. All connections are 3.5mm.

From Gps to amplifier, in connection. out connections is the Bose earbuds.

The new "Invader" is the Scala Cardo.

So, somewhere inbetween it needs to run from Gps to the in connection on the amp and then the out connection to the ????????????????

Scala has one out connection which will be connected the Bose earbuds.

That is where i am stuck. Hope that is better to understand

I had hair when I started. Don`t need to go the the Barbers anytime soon. Lol.

Thanks.:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Lets see if i can make more sense out of this.

Gps is the master system. All connections are 3.5mm.

From Gps to amplifier, in connection. out connections is the Bose earbuds.

The new "Invader" is the Scala Cardo.

So, somewhere inbetween it needs to run from Gps to the in connection on the amp and then the out connection to the ????????????????

Scala has one out connection which will be connected the Bose earbuds.

That is where i am stuck. Hope that is better to understand

I had hair when I started. Don`t need to go the the Barbers anytime soon. Lol.

Thanks.:eek::eek::eek:
Does your GPS have bluetooth? If so GPS get connected to Scala via BT, Scala connected to amp, amp connected to Bose earbuds.

Otherwise you need a amp w/ two input jacks and a mixer (one for GPS, one for Scala). The amp needs to be the last thing in the circuit before the earbuds, it's the thing driving the audio.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, it does have bluetooth.
Mmmmmthat makes sense. Maybe i am overthinking this.

Ahaa. I see now. Losing the connection from the Gps to the amp and hooking up the Bose to the Scala.
You might well have solved the problem.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The simplest and best thing is probably to ditch the amp, bluetooth the GPS to your Scala, and connect your Scala to the Bose.

I love the idea of the amp, but there is no way around the cabling AFAICT.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. You are most certainly correct. That was the cause of my problems. Life is getting back to normal.

I am going through all this in my head. I was overthinking this.

You have been a great help.

Thank you.Thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts