Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed through both use and what I've been reading that the vacuum petcocks just aren't awesome no matter which way you slice it. I've been thinking about some kind of solution to the OEM one. Since its vacuum it is based on engine cranking, and if the battery is crappy or fuel isn't excellent it can be tough to start the bike. I already picked up an older right-hand control from a Multistrada for a proper headlight switch, I know being able to start the bike without the headlight on should help a lot.

What I'd really like was if there was some kind of instant on/off petcock, specifically an electric one that I could connect to the starter button, where it would produce immediate fuel flow for starting but then would just turn based on vacuum when the engine is running/starter button isn't being used. I've seen electric fuel shut-off valves like the one in the below link, basically it opens when the ignition is on and closed when ignition is off, so theoretically you get quicker fuel flow since the petcock doesn't have to spin up and you won't forget to turn off a manual petcock.

Ideally I'd like to find a petcock that is essentially a self-contained fuel pump that can either run on start or constantly, and a combination of these two ideas (starter pump and fuel shut-off switch) would be ideal. Does something like that exist?

Shut-off valves

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I've never seen a combination fuel pump and electric valve but they probably exist. If you find one make sure it’s rated for petrol and ethanol.
My SS has a manual valve that is in a terrible inaccessible spot. I leave it on and put a inline fuel valve in a convenient but hidden spot. That way it may function as an anti theft device in the event it’s stolen
I have had vacuum fuel valves on lots of bikes with no issues. If I were to replace one, it would be with a high flow manual valve, like a Pingel. I try not to add complications to my bike.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts