Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’ll beat people to the chase here. The problem with a tray is it encompasses the exhaust, so all that heat stays in the engine area. Usable on track. Street not so much. That being said I plan to do it to mine, so I’m subscribing

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I a couple of spares. What is it that you want to know?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I’ll beat people to the chase here. The problem with a tray is it encompasses the exhaust, so all that heat stays in the engine area. Usable on track. Street not so much. That being said I plan to do it to mine, so I’m subscribing
I don’t see how an undertray encompasses the exhaust ,, unless I’m reading this wrong.
I thought the OP was referring to the seat “undertray”

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol!! All good guys. I was hoping someone could recommend a quality, carbon fiber under seat tray, with pics. I am hoping to avoid an issue with compatibility due to the MV Augusta F4 cans currently on the bike. ( pretty sure I want to keep these). Nikk, that pic is exactly what I was thinking of... sherpa23f, when you say 'spares', what have you got? And for the record, I can't get anything done on a half a cup of coffee!!!

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I don't have pic, or anywhere to source one for you, I found mine on eBay used. What I will offer is that there are two types of under tail.

One to fit a mono sub frame and one to fit the bip sub frame. The difference is the bip under tail has cut outs for the rear foot peg brackets. The mono, of course, has no cut outs. Also, it is not uncommon to have a mono tail fairing mounted to a bip sub frame. The thing to look for is if the sub frame is made of steel with lugs for the foot pegs to mount, or a very minimal looking frame made of aluminum with no place to mount the rear foot pegs.

Asking about compatibility with your MV exhaust mod isn't going to get you a good answer. No one knows if your current under tail had to be cut for the mod. Best bet is to post a pic of what you have. Should be easy to see if anything has been cut to make the pipes fit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks SS. It's a bi posto tail. I am going to swap it out for a mono sub frame. The 'undertray' that it came with looks fabricated... I will try to post pics but I have been having difficulty doing so. I will more than likely buy something I can return if its apparent it won't work.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't have pic, or anywhere to source one for you, I found mine on eBay used. What I will offer is that there are two types of under tail.

One to fit a mono sub frame and one to fit the bip sub frame. The difference is the bip under tail has cut outs for the rear foot peg brackets. The mono, of course, has no cut outs. Also, it is not uncommon to have a mono tail fairing mounted to a bip sub frame. The thing to look for is if the sub frame is made of steel with lugs for the foot pegs to mount, or a very minimal looking frame made of aluminum with no place to mount the rear foot pegs.
I’m not questioning the fact that there are different types of undertrays , but are you sure about the differences being the cut outs?
I only ask because I’ve found an DP undertray that will only fit a mono & that too has cut outs in it

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I’m not questioning the fact that there are different types of undertrays , but are you sure about the differences being the cut outs?
I only ask because I’ve found an DP undertray that will only fit a mono & that too has cut outs in it
Yes. Mono has already been posted here. This is a Bip tail. Cut outs for the foot peg mounts are pretty clear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again guys. Honestly, after starting at it for a while, I'm not anticipating any issues simply because the MV pipes take up less real estate than larger, twin cans. Although I would normally steer clear of the Chinese stuff, for this application, and the fact it's a 'roll of the dice' concerning clearances with MV Augusta pipes, the Chinese one may be the ticket. Besides, it's a freaking undertray....

I'm going to have to get rid of the biposto sub frame I have and procure a mono. I don't want to see the mounts.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
...Besides, it's a freaking undertray...
True, however, the way I looked at it, as I'd already made the decision to go to a CFRP undertray as part of an overall push to rid my R of any excess mass, the full carbon unit was markedly lighter than the CFRP/GFRP ones.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
The two I have are oem Ducati ones. One is a spare from my 916SPS and one is from my 998R. Both carbon but they’re finished differently from each other.

Reactions: gunnermg748S*
1 - 16 of 16 Posts