Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Unidirectional is one of the cloths that is been used within a mixture of other cloths including a carbon/Kevlar cloth. Again the orientation of the cloths is key to the over all stiffness where I want it and also where in the laminate stack it will be. As far as the bonding goes to aluminium I am using a structural adhesive that is specifically designed for bonding metal to composites. The holes in the rear wheel hangers is as much for reducing weight as it is for locking the component into the structure when it gets bonded in. I am trying to design it in such a way that it has multiple locking systems in place for each metal to laminate bond that way all of them will work together to form an indistructable bond, if that makes sense.I do not like anything tightening onto the laminate as I have seen all to often it crush and fail even though it has a metal load spreader bonded on when subjected to cyclic events such as adjusting the rear wheel position.
This first swing arm is just a proof of concept at this stage so I wanted to keep it simple, (yeah right/. The original concept was for it to be a direct replacement item for the original rear swing arm only so all the original components had to be used for fitment to keep the overall cost down. Can you imagine a carbon rear swingarm at the same or less cost than a replacement aluminium one????
I do have a mk 2 version already drafted up on my computer which is a similar shape but more refined from the lessons learnt from this one so far. As I find better ways of doing things then I design them into the Mk2 version and yes i do have a lighter version of the rear wheel adjusters similar to what you are alluding to but it does require a new longer axle but does open up the possibility of using a larger rear axle as well.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
I understand crushing of the laminate. With the press for adjusters there is no crushing of the laminate. All load bearing is spread to the internet plate. I’ll draw the components and past them. I’m not trying to interfere with your project. just very interested.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts