Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. As you will probably be aware I have been working on a number of carbon bits and pieces for the 91-97 super sports. The project that I am working on at present is the fuel tank. As I get near the point where I am going to start the first one I have decided to raise another thread away from my actual bike to gauge everyone's interest. The story so far is that I am 2/3 the way through the mould making process and hope to start laminating the first carbon parts for the finished products this time next week. Made from multiple layers of carbon I have chosen a chemically resistant resin to use for the laminating process. Reason being that I have had some bad experiences with tanks that have merely been coated with a resistant product in the past failing after the tank was damaged and the coating had cracked. This in turn allowed the fuel to get into the epoxy laminate and destroyed a very expensive tank. Here are the latest pics of where I am up to with the tank mould this week. PM me if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Slow start to the day but the mould and plug are all back together. Normally the guys are here by 1000o'clock to deliver the resin so was not expecting it to arrive at all by 1300. Just after I had resigned myself to the fact it wasn't turning up until Monday, it arrived. Will get everything ready tomorrow for laying up the first part of the mould on Sunday.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next stage in the mould making process is out of the way. The weather is helping cure the resin a bit faster than I had expected so it was a case of breaking the process down into smaller chunks to stay ahead of it going off on me while I worked. It is all done and I will trim and release the bottom portion tomorrow.

Came out to see the mould this morning and this is what I now have to work with.
Couple of strips of scrap wood to use as stiffeners and supports for the mould to sit on when in use.
Held it in place before putting a radius with some filler.
Second layer of laminent all done and curing

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just waiting on resin to turn up now before starting the first base to be done. It is all polished, release compound is on and it is sitting ready to be used for the first time. The upper tank mould is back together with the plug and I will make the temp base for it tomorrow. Hinge assembly is all but complete on the computer - just need to draw up the PTFE bushes for the retainer pin to be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have progressed to a point where I have now made two of the base sections. The photos are of the second one all trimmed up and measured as required. Bottom lip recess has been calculated to suit and I can now start the process of laminating an extra piece to sit over the top of the lip that I will bond to the inner surface before the first tank is built. Once it has been made and I am happy with it I will make another mould of the new tank upper to suit. This second base is 99% of what I want to achieve, huge improvement over the first. Put quite a bit more carbon in this one but will put a bit more in strategic positions. I am picking that the finished item will be around 4 kgs complete at this stage of the game.
At night I have been working on the carbon fibre rear swing arm. There are a couple of challenging bits that need a bit more attention than I had first thought and I am going to change the resin that I have been using to another one that is specifically engineered for this type of project. Hardest part is working out the thickness of the laminate to use at the moment. Last thing that I want is it to explode at max speed when I hit a bump. what could possibly go wrong…
Roughly trimmed using the angle grinder and cut off disc.
Cut the edge back to where it needs to be and happy with the weight. Next one will be slightly heavier again but will be only 50grm or so heavier around the lower edge .

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those that have been following, the first tank bases have been built and I am happy with progress so far. Have made a couple of changes along the way as the project has evolved but I can confirm that the tank will be available in two different configurations. The first one will be sold as per the original tank with a titanium adapter ring to suit the fitment of the original fuel cap assembly. I am drawing up the ring tonight and will be forwarded to the machinist. Should take about 3 weeks to get it and all the other fittings back. Did this against my original idea so that the tanks are a bit more cost effective for some of you.
The other version is with a new lockable NEXTON fuel cap assembly. Prices are as follows
Original fuel cap version - $1800NZ
Racing fuel cap version $2200NZ
Cost of freight via DHL to the US is 160-200NZ. Once I have a final weight of the tank I will be able to give a better indication of exactly how much it will be.

I am currently accepting orders on payment of 50% deposit. Ful payment due once the tank is complete. For those that are interested I am also willing tpo give you a photo libararyu of your tank as it is been built.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the last couple of days have been a mixed bag. Managed to break the lip that I was making for the tank as I was hoping to start laminating the first one today. Now put back at least a week. So while I build a new one of those I have managed to get the recess disc done and just need to drill some holes to mount it in the mould and also the bolts to hold all the moulds together. Now that I have the recess sorted out I am going to press on with the first tank to suit the NEWTON aero cap of which I have a number of on the shelf. Once that is done then I can quickly do a new mould with the integrated lip in it off the new tank. Then its all on
Have also managed to sand and get all the necessary bits done prior to starting the moulding process tomorrow morning for the new plug of the seat. So a busy week ahead.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have managed to get the lip all sorted and the recessed portion has been glued into where it needs to be. Did have a couple of issues that I will have to be wary of but it is not looking to bad. I am waiting on some e glass to turn up as the first one is going to be made from that rather than out of carbon, If I have any problems I will be able to see where those issues are a lot easier with clear glass than with the carbon. I have also worked out that the lip area needs a bit of work to it still but will have to cast up that area to sort it out. All going well I will be in full swing next week for the first couple of tanks to be done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I have managed to get the lip all sorted and the recessed portion has been glued into where it needs to be. Did have a couple of issues that I will have to be wary of but it is not looking to bad. I am waiting on some e glass to turn up as the first one is going to be made from that rather than out of carbon, If I have any problems I will be able to see where those issues are a lot easier with clear glass than with the carbon. I have also worked out that the lip area needs a bit of work to it still but will have to cast up that area to sort it out. All going well I will be in full swing next week for the first couple of tanks to be done.
Interesting - had you considered doing a fuel level "stripe" in the clear glass with these carbon tanks?

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is amazing! You are doing awesome work!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clear sight screens can be done as well as a carbon/Kevlar one as well for those that are after one of those as well. Have a multitude of different options as you will all get to see as and when I start making them proper. Have been keeping an eye out for various other tanks to make copies of in the future.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I’m sure the owners of any of the plastic tank Ducatis would like to see one for their model.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am currently doing a clear tank. Did the base this morning with a couple of things that I have been wanting to try built into it. I am using a Biaxial cloth in various parts and also a core matt that I may be using in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Working away at different things but I have managed to get the first part of the flanges in place. Originally I was going to make them smaller but have decided to make them a bit larger at the last minute to give me a larger area to work with once it is finished. The tank base idea was a bit of a flop but a valuable learning lesson. I pulled it from the mould too early so I decided to do some strength tests on it insteady. I will however look at the laminate for the actual tank to see if I can work in a sight window without compromising the integrity of the rest of the tank.
The fuel cap recess needed a bit of adjustment as well. Though it would have worked it was a bit tight so I am going to make another one tomorrow as I have made a couple of changes to it that will hopefully allow a better fit of the cap assembly.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts