Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are easily made with a carbon sleeve from Sollercomposites.com. All bar sizes can be accomodated and there are a pile of colour schemes

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Come on, where else will useless applications of carbon fiber show up on these things?

Its kinda ironic that all it does is ADD weight (I'll give ya minuscule amounts) to the bike, completely the opposite reason for one of carbon fibers very existence.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Doesnt Motowheels sell actual Carbon Fiber handlebars from Driven????????

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You miss the point. If all you want to do is remove weight, there are LOTS of parts that are not necessary and which can be removed. I suspect that a monster owner (I had an S2R1000 - great bike) could subtract 20 lbs with very little effort. But that's not what it's really about is it? People customize their bikes to get a "look" they like and just because you don't like it does not mean that others don't like it.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Come on, where else will useless applications of carbon fiber show up on these things?

Its kinda ironic that all it does is ADD weight (I'll give ya minuscule amounts) to the bike, completely the opposite reason for one of carbon fibers very existence.
+1

·
Registered
53 Posts
Talk about missing the point. Why different colors of paint? Why a clearcoat over the paint, useless, adds weight, why change colors in anodization... and these tail chops, turnsignal and mirror changes... when is is it going to stop with these useless modifications... when I ask you... WHEN?!

That's a pretty extreme and fundamentalist position to take on a Monster forum.

jdurward, That's a cool application and appears to be well-done. I've been imagineering on changing my bars to a gold annodization to match the Ohlins forks as I seek a slightly different bend. Keep up the free thinking. Its called art and individualism in a sea of narrow-minded sheeple.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The weight thing obviously wasn't my main point, its just an added irony of stuff like this. None of those other things you mention are imitation performance oriented parts.

Visual changes and personalization modifications are fine. I've just always thought that modifications done with sole the intention of looking like a cool performance part (like these carbon fiber wrapped things) are lame.

There's a guy here in San Diego that will wrap anything in carbon fiber for you (tanks, fenders, fairings, car parts, mail boxes, flag poles etc..) Yes, you take your parts there, and he simply wraps them in carbon fiber (real are not I don't know) to give you the "look" of a real performance part. You should see all the Honda Civics over there getting carbon fiber wrapped doors, fenders and hoods! My neighbor had his stock pipes on his GSXR done last month...:rolleyes:

I put mods like this in the same boat as those stainless steel braided dress up kits that you put over the stock rubber brake, radiator and clutch lines, "Ducati Performance" stickers on bone stock bikes with no DP parts. (or the obligatory "M" badge on a non M BMW), Marchesini Forged stickers on the stock cast wheels, fake blow of valve sound emulators on cars/bikes, fake turbo inter-coolers in the bumpers of a cars, the list goes on....

I'll never rag on someone who paints their vehicle some crazy color(s) and/or does anything to it that makes it their own (in-fact I encourage it), but fake or imitation performance parts are weak no matter how you slice it!

Basically its anything that you can find at Pep Boys (which by the way now sells a 12" x 24" "carbon fiber" sticker for $12.00 for you to get that "look" at home on anything you want! I'd say 2 should cover your Monster tank, maybe 3 or 4 for an OEM Brembro 3 spoke wheel...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You state "Visual changes and personalization modifications are fine. I've just always thought that modifications done with sole the intention of looking like a cool performance part (like these carbon fiber wrapped things) are lame. . "

Please show me where I said that I did the mods with the "sole the intention of looking like a cool performance part". For that matter, please show me where there is a full carbon bar that IS claiming to be a "performance" part (after all, I can't make a part "looking" like a performance part if no such performance part exists). Please don't direct me to the full carbon bars as the difference between those bars and a standard race bar is so small that the carbon bars can't be credibly claimed to be a "performance" part. Since I am not making a performance part claim, where is the irony?

There is "function" and there is "form". Depending on the application one or the other takes priority. When dealing with form, it is a matter of personal opinion and you have stated yours. You don't want to hear mine....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Function over form

Doing what ever you want to your bike is cool but my preference to leave it as close to original unless it really improves performance. For the most part, at least on many of these forums, a stock bike will be the bike that stands out for being different or standing out from the crowd. An example is the levers. For the life of me I can't get in the mind set of spending 300 bucks on something that makes absolutely no difference, nor looks any better than the stock units. Again, thats me, and I feel fortunate I don't have the desire to spend money on that kind of stuff. I'm not trying to say either way is right or wrong, just pointing out different perspectives.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with surfguygrif. I lean more tward the functional mods myself. Cosmetic mods are fine, but when the cosmetic mod is designed to fake a functional one, it kinda pushes my buttons. I don't know why I give a damn... I guess its just the fake thing. Fake is bad.

And if you ask me, the guy who hops on the "carbon" band wagon then proceeds to slather it all over everything regarless of wether it makes any sense or not, is more deserving of the "sheeple" tag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts