Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking of this for my 1098S. Since buying new with the full system one constant annoyance has been the 15.5 litre capacity. She is a a thirsty lass, as you can hear:

https://vimeo.com/306808968

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge/informed opinions on the practicality/use of C/F tanks for street application on bikes? This one looks tempting:

eMoto - Ducati 1098 Carbon Fiber 24L Fuel Tank

·
Registered
535 Posts
Ask on the UK DucatiForum about EMoto.uk , from memory I think they are notoriously unreliable and dishonest, so check first, if not I will remove this post.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ask on the UK DucatiForum about EMoto.uk , from memory I think they are notoriously unreliable and dishonest, so check first, if not I will remove this post.
Bloody hell, they let anyone on Ducati Forums these days. Anyway, don't threaten me or I'll have a look at what you have posted here and dob you in good and proper! >:)

Reactions: nzdave

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that @stoshmonster. Th eonly thing with that product was reading the instruction. There so many warnings about how damage could be caused in what is a fairly straightforward installation that it freaked me out a bit!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a Sebimoto (IIRC) carbon tank on my 749. It really doesn't like ethanol gas, and it will bubble up through the weave if you haven't properly sealed it (I had to do three !! coatings with caswell before it stopped). If I ever drop this bike at speed, I am positive the tank will wear through and the bike will burst into flames. Obviously I can't speak for other manufacturers, but the one I've got isn't really fit for street use. Capacity isn't great either. I think I get about 90mi (~140km) to the tank.

It does look really, really good though!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a CF tank I got from Motowheels for my 748. Ethanol laced gas ate thru the resin after a couple years. Tried to seal it with POR system, I was never succcessful. CF had lots of pinholes in the surface that my painter had to fill. Made it a lot louder with lack of sound dampening.

Light Yes
Expensive Yes
Must be sealed Yes
Leaks Probably

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,391 Posts
I'm far from a CF expert but over the years I've made plenty parts with it and have a few rules about tanks.
First up a good solid gelcoat if you don't want pinholes, which means you won't get the CF bling look but that's not why i use CF, I want strength and lightness.
Next, you want at least one layer of Kevlar in the matrix to provide real strength and abrasion resistance, not just CF which shatters on impact.
And finally I lay at least the last two inner layers with Phenol Novalac epoxy, it's what Caswell sell as their tank sealer and what is used commercially for cold room floors as it's the hardest, strongest, most chemically resistant epoxy there is and ethanol proof.
So there you have it.
If a tank isn't reinforced with Kevlar then give it a miss.
This is the last bike I built, CF tank, seat and mudguards.

davy

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@davy.j Thanks for the great info. Will check the specs carefully.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whats the current consumption?
I'll get about 110km before the warning light, and despite having the bike since new the light still bugs me when it comes on. Then I could risk going as far as 150k but don't.

This is against the background of owning inline litre bikes with 18 litre tanks and getting 200km. Living in a place like Perth when you want to go for a blast out into the hills and local country I find I really have to be conscious of how far away a service station is and this impacts on getting into the back roads too far. It is just an unnecessary restriction IMO.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
ETI Fuel Cell

I have the ETI Fuel Cell...its light as F&*^
excellent workmanship...Mines for my 1996 900SS Build..
I believe mine was a great purchase...but I havent run fuel thru it yet...Hopefully this spring
Mike S

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have the ETI Fuel Cell...its light as F&*^
excellent workmanship...Mines for my 1996 900SS Build..
I believe mine was a great purchase...but I havent run fuel thru it yet...Hopefully this spring
Mike S
I have one also bought it for my SC1000 when it got a few bubbles in the Stripe in the
key well have not used it yet as the Plastic tank has not changed in 2 years. But you
like you said it is so light it felt like they shipped me an empty box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts