Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for AFFORDABLE carbon fiber(oxymoron ?) goodies for my bike. I was looking on ebay but I have no idea what to look for or ask to find good quality cf :think: ? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have bought from http://www.shift-tech.com/ and while not an expert, was very happy. Finish on all parts was better than a Ducati Performance rear hugger I bought from elsewhere - and shipping to Australia was a lot less. Parts were cam belt, full clutch and sprocket covers and front guard for a 1993 900SS.

I only want a few more little bits then I am done. Will be trying http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog.htm?&katalog=1 for those later this year.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have bought from Shift-tech (Hollywood,Florida) also and the fit and finish are great aswell as the consistancy of their product material and how it matches other Shift-tech products. Jus' my $0.02

What I have learned from this site:

Fit, finish, and consistency. <---- that's a period :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Shift tech offers very little for the classic superbikes last time I checked. Unfortunately, since the carbon fiber accessories are hand made, there is no guarantee of quality. I've had DP stuff that's absolute crap and some that's very nice.

The main thing to know about carbon fiber is the two different kinds: pre-preg and wet layup. Pre-preg is nicer and more expensive, but so what. Most carbon accessories are non-load bearing and simply there for aesthetic purposes. I've seen some good looking wet layup and crappy pre-preg, so my suggestion is to see it before you buy it. Some things are complicated and vital, so quality is a conern (airbox, air runners), and the rest is cosmetic.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
We avoid wet lay up products for a number of reasons as we are trying to deliver a better product overall. We feel that if people pay for carbon--they should get a real CF product with all of it's properties that made it popular in racing in the first place. It is easy to make s shiney product. The good pieces are light and strong as well. Most wet lay up CF is shinier than pre-preg product as it often has an extra thick layer of resin. If your objective is pure cosmetics -then anything thing that is shiney and looks like carbon should fit the bill. There are some fibreglass pieces with one layer of CF on it and some Faux plastic pieces out there as well.

Good pre-preg CF is much lighter, denser, stiffer and more flexible when stressed than wet lay. It is is usually more consistent from one piece to another. The application of rsein is more even since it is pre-impregnated from the factory rather than hand applied. Since it is "cooked" under pressure in an autoclave, there is less resin in the products so it is stronger yet more flexible when stressed.

Even though fairings are not structural, you are much better off with a good pre-preg CF piece than a wet lay-up CF piece as it will survive lowsides much better and often only sustain surface damage than can easily be fixed. The wet lay up CF pieces often shatter into little bits.

·
Registered
463 Posts
moto said:
We avoid wet lay up products for a number of reasons as we are trying to deliver a better product overall. We feel that if people pay for carbon--they should get a real CF product with all of it's properties that made it popular in racing in the first place. It is easy to make s shiney product. The good pieces are light and strong as well. Most wet lay up CF is shinier than pre-preg product as it often has an extra thick layer of resin. If your objective is pure cosmetics -then anything thing that is shiney and looks like carbon should fit the bill. There are some fibreglass pieces with one layer of CF on it and some Faux plastic pieces out there as well.

Good pre-preg CF is much lighter, denser, stiffer and more flexible when stressed than wet lay. It is is usually more consistent from one piece to another. The application of rsein is more even since it is pre-impregnated from the factory rather than hand applied. Since it is "cooked" under pressure in an autoclave, there is less resin in the products so it is stronger yet more flexible when stressed.

Even though fairings are not structural, you are much better off with a good pre-preg CF piece than a wet lay-up CF piece as it will survive lowsides much better and often only sustain surface damage than can easily be fixed. The wet lay up CF pieces often shatter into little bits.
Thanks, for the info Martin. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts