Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Normally I would just stay away now but I hate it when somebody takes another manufacturers unique designed part as the 1098 hugger is ( not a copy of a stock part) and starts to duplicate it, oh well guess that just happens when you got something good.

I will stop at this point but Ducati owners have very high standards when it comes to carbon and some may not be to pleased with it, then others will.

Scratch up the rough inside just a little and you will notice that there will be white dust and the scratched area turns white- then ask yourself why this happens since carbon dust is dark gray or nearly black.:think: The weight also gives you a little hint.
Worst part is and that's what I hate the most is the sad fact that they are advertised as 100% carbon fiber, what's your opinion on this?

What sucks the most is that the consumer has no idea about all this and trusts into a company that he is purchasing from to receive high quality and a product that is as it's being advertised.

·
9,757 Posts
Normally I would just stay away now but I hate it when somebody takes another manufacturers unique designed part as the 1098 hugger is ( not a copy of a stock part) and starts to duplicate it, oh well guess that just happens when you got something good.

I will stop at this point but you can do something that will help other to determine what these products really are.

Scratch up the rough inside just a little and you will notice that there will be white dust and the scratched area turns white- then ask yourself why this happens since carbon dust is dark gray or nearly black.:think: The weight also gives you a little hint.
Worst part is and that's what I hate the most is the sad fact that they are advertised as 100% carbon fiber, what's your opinion on this?

What sucks the most is that the consumer has no idea about all this and trusts into a company that he is purchasing from to receive high quality and a product that is as it's being advertised.
So you're saying that these are fiberglass rip offs?

Good to know, but I don't think most of us would have even bothered. That red logo is pretty dumb... looks like a strawberry.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
The picture probably would give you the answer to this. I don't mind competition at all but I have a major problem with it when customers don't get what they paid for or what they were told they would receive.
The fiberglass version is apx. 40% heavier, a little hint.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts

I will stop at this point but you can do something that will help other to determine what these products really are.

So your company is therefore expemt from any distrust? Have you any firsthand knowledge of this company's products? Have you posted any comparisons between your products? As far as duplicating a product, are their dimensions identical to yours? Moreover, how do your designs compare to the unique designs of, say a Ducati Performance piece? Are your carbon fibre clutch covers of a totally unique shape and appearance to all others? I think you are walking a very thin line of business ethics here by throwing out the ambigous claims and then connecting them to this competitor. As far as scratching it up, is the resin not going to maybe appear "white-ish". Are the pictures you posted pictures of this company's products?

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
So your company is therefore expemt from any distrust? Have you any firsthand knowledge of this company's products? Have you posted any comparisons between your products? As far as duplicating a product, are their dimensions identical to yours? Moreover, how do your designs compare to the unique designs of, say a Ducati Performance piece? Are your carbon fibre clutch covers of a totally unique shape and appearance to all others? I think you are walking a very thin line of business ethics here by throwing out the ambigous claims and then connecting them to this competitor. As far as scratching it up, is the resin not going to maybe appear "white-ish". Are the pictures you posted pictures of this company's products?

Why don't you do a search on Shift-Tech and see how many people are satisified with their products? I think that speaks for itself. They are far superior to a LOT of other companies.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
JLGT1K

I totally understand your concern and got a lot of questions that I am more then happy to answer.
We are not exempt from anything but as suggested above you can do a little search and you will find out what other think about you even so that I am only humane and can not please everybody.
Yes the specific part is identical but that's not the point, it happens always that somebody makes a copy of something as it has did with this hugger, a part that was not an orig. DP product. It has been designed from scratch.

We broke the lower tongue just so that you can see what's inside, the white is all fiberglass and the tongue did just snap off, not something that carbon does very easy.

Look I try not to pull somebody through the dirt, I am only giving you some information that buyers should consider. The pictures show the specific product mentioned above.

When you pay for something that should be 100% carbon then you should receive what you paid for, that's the issue. I have no problem with competition but there are many Ducati riders that have no idea that there are so many differences in products available.
Sure, I could have just stayed quiet but that's not my type, at some point I will give you my opinion even if it's not what many like to hear.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I guess I should shut up but I just can't. I've been a fan of Shift-tech for years, I've purchased from you Guido few times and always have been happy but when you make a statement like someone is copying your design, well, havn't you patent it so no one can do so? Also, price doesn't always mean quality, sometimes means honesty, it just happened I've purchased a hugger for my 999r on Ebay from a guy overseas, it looked good and I believe the price was around $110, it was quite a while ago. It took few weeks to get because it came from Slovakya but when it arrived, you could swear it was from Shift-tech, granted, I'm no expert, but I can see and tell if the Carbon is mixed wit Fiberglass, well, on the scale it read 8.8oz, unfinished underneat, I had it painted since, wanted to clear it under too so I sanded and the dust was black. I don't know if you can tell the workmanship on the fiber but I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Let me point out that it is not my design, it has been designed by our supplier in Europe but it's not the point that somebody makes a copy of it and yes you have a good looking hugger :).

I have customers emailing me who are under the impression that we have something to do with it since they are familiar with this specific hugger and do know that we are selling them since a while.
Just last week I saw a post on another forum where somebody asked about these products, looking for input ect. and he wrote " by 1shifttech.com", see what I mean? Some do mix stuff up very quickly.

I don't want anybody to get the idea that we have anything to do with these products.

Sure patents are great but at the end it won't help either to prevent this from happening, you can get easy around it with a few changes. This guy is not the only one so far but that's just how it goes, oh well.

I was and am trying to give the fellow that started the post some information on what products they really are, don't write 100% carbon when it's not, that's the point. Some customers are not aware of this and now he in this case can check once he get's his order, maybe he likes it and does not mind or maybe he does have an issue with it, it's his decision to make and I was trying to give him a little bit more info upfront.

The fender you have looks good and I am sure it's all carbon and at least you have carbon on the inside of it.

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
resin sands white. i work with and fabricate carbon parts EVERY day.

there are some companies who sell glass lined parts, there are some selling high end prepreg claimed stuff for top dollar too and most of it is a fight to sell

while i am not going to go back and forth vendoring as most won't know what is being said anyhoo let's say i trust the people making and desiging parts not the people just buying them form one person and then selling them to another, off to find pics

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
here is a superior 3 part molded infused with polyester resin sold by a vendor for a 999 i think as is new out the box sent too me as i was asked to fix the 3mm seams left in its fabrication LMAO the fender was over $200 new

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
Lets not forget customer service. Over the past few years I have bought a ton of stuff from Shift-tech and not once was I disapointed. Shift-tech should be a model that a lot of other companies should follow. Talk about communication, every order I have placed has been met with a fairly rapid response from Guido, normally within hours letting you know he is at the track or someplace other then work, but will provide info on when it would be shipped, and that the free shipping and discount will be applied. No BS, no stories, just honest to goodness service and first rate products. Just my take. Like my father always said, if you do it right the first time, you won't have to do it again.
Fran

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
here is a custom endurance front fender i am working on sanded and semi wet b4 clearcoating. i use a high end epoxy resin as look at the flexibility, pics are not doing it justice. this fender after clearcoat was 175 grams and capable of flex and strength, try that with your fender then call me LOL

Attachments

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
here is a prepreg vendor sold high end hugger

it is not prepreg and has 10,000 pin holes and it was sold by a great repped vendor and the buyer prolly paid twice too much

they bough carbon, not prepreg, that was the sale pitch, lighter stronger LMAO

i made a red kevlar/carbon twill weave copy for a mate and the carbon is the underneath, notice the difference?

go do a search and don't listed to sale pitches from people who stand to profit from your ignorance. i got in the game of making parts not just selling them for that very reason and i like to help peole become informed even if i make nothing

half the partssold on these forums are sales pitches and crap and most of them sold are not even made here or by anybody selling them so think about it, get informed, ask questions

are the parts clearcoated? if not, why????

if they are epoxy resin and not cleared the resin will degrade rapidly, turn yellow, and then become brittle, crack

if they are using polyester resin, why? it is 1/3rd or less the cost yet the retail price is the same????? might as well be using fiberglass too LOL funny to make them out of poly and then say other are using glass, hypocrite

rigid does not mean strong always. poly will be rigid, and offer no flexibility, bend it, crack, no good

infusion offer low weight parts but usually the resin has tohave dilutants, lots of them to lower the viscocity enough to feed the rsin and you will get parts with loads of airbubbles and porosity, not good, rigid, but structurally weak.

i will stop as i was just trying to offer things to ponder and have no stake in this just info.

just because you pay a lot does not mean you got a great product and sometimes even a cheap one is a good product, depends on what you main goal is, cost, looks, strength, or other

buy well and ride safe

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts