Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys -

Didn't want to start another thread but not getting a lot of feedback in the SF forum. As many of you are aware - our beloved SF tanks are prone to expansion (acerbis tanks). Currently I'm on my second tank (both expanded). Just completed a 1500 mile 4 day weekend - and had the dreaded fuel hose/filter issue in the gas tank (it happens every 5K miles or so) - I've known this tank has been expanding, the side panels dont fit well and the getting it back on after my last valve job was a pain - this time getting the tank back on, while on the side of the road was almost impossible.

So looking for some opinions: I've got close to 25K miles on my SFS - and she runs really strong and is my favorite bike ever, so--- I'm going to need to replace this tank. As much as I would like the aluminum tank - I don't know if i have the time or patience to wait (even though I'm watching the new vendor thread above closely) - and I'm leaning towards a CF tank.

My questions:

1. Any experience with the CF tanks and specific vendors? (good and bad) ? Do some of the vendors share the same manufacturer and sell the same product at various price points? (some photos look stock - or shared)
2. I plan to caswell coat the inside or have it sent out to be done professionally. (any preferred vendors and experience?
3. What are the drawbacks to CF tanks - outside of aesthetic and unique appeal - what is the draw towards aluminum over CF?
4. Im looking at motocomposites, OPP, motowheels - any other recommendations on vendors?

A few notes:
1. I ride this bike - long trips and in every type of weather, sometimes with full givi or Kriega bags and with a tank bag.
2. Any one find a permanent fix to the intank fuel hose issue? Outside of the oetiker clamp? Any other clamps successful? Anyone replace that fuel filter? (Part number??)
3. Its becoming harder and harder to find a non-swollen, non-rashed, color matched tank....which is why im looking towards CF.

Opinions? Thoughts? Ideas?

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I’ve owned at least (5) of their tanks.

https://eti-fuelcel.com/

They made a custom tank for my RC-45 and have done crash damage repairs on (2) tanks.
Same..ish.

Ive used a few of the ETI Fuelcel tanks over the last 15-20 years, and they are excellent quality. On one bike, this was in daily use, in rain, you name it. Never an issue.

Its actually remarkable how long they have been building these things.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Another vote for ETI tanks, I see and I have felt with others on both mine and customers bikes. The ETI tanks are very well made and repairable if you damage one, I do not recommend caswelling one as I have not found a need to and if you do repairs may be harder.

For durability testing I crashed my 748 with a yeti tank and the only damage other than a little rash was the bonded on mounting tab un bonded. I fixed it by epoxying the tab back in place the tank never leaked a drop.

I have seen some Dp carbon tanks separate back in the day they too were fixed and returned to service.

One down side that probably not effect you is I pulled the ETI tank off my monster and replaced it with steel because I prefer a magnetic tank bag. Yes I am too lazy to clip in a tank bag. Yes in a crash you will be more likely to leak due to sliding on thinner material.

Another thing you might find is due to the crap plastic tank thickness I would expect a carbon tank to have increased fuel capacity at the same outside dimensions

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Guys -

Thanks unfortunately - ETI doesn't have a tank available for the Streetfighter. Unfortunately that bike was produced in such low numbers - and relatively lower popularity - that the after market options are getting narrower and narrower. I will give ETI a call as they have a coming soon image listed on thier site.

I have one of those gas tank ring clips for my bag...sometimes it clicks, sometimes....

Appreciate all the feedback - please keep it coming.

TnK

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
ETI has made one off tanks in the past it has just cost a little more. we sent them my 851 tank a good decade ago and IIRC it was just a few hundred more. If you go to that route I would consider any modifications to the tank you want before having it done. Looking at the streetfighter tank in my shop it does not look like a tank that will be hard for them to do.

·
Bon Vivant
11,454 Posts
First of all there are plenty of replys in the SF section - you just didnt get the one you wanted to hear.

What makes you think carbon fiber tanks which are made of carbon weave and plastic polymers will be any different from the plastic tank we have now? All plastic tanks have problems with ethanol but some are worse than others. Polyester and epoxies can melt, dissolve in ethanol and the stuff finds its way into your fuel pump, injectors, heads, valves, and cylinders only to re-solidify... guess how much fun that is? Yes, I've seen it happen.

Coatings will help but I promise you that they are not permanent and in 5 or 6 years time they will start to fail - the caswell coating inside my SF tank is failing now and my tank is starting to swell. At least I dont have to worry about it melting and locking up my engine.

I have no personal experience with fuel cell brand tanks but they are plastic too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow - Flyinbulldog - this isn't personal. Geesh.

I didn't receive any responses to my question - understandably, the SF forum is relatively slow...and that's ok.

My question - is relevant to all ducati owners that have purchased a CF tank or poly tank and their experience with specific vendors, coatings, durability, and options.

I've done the google "site:ducati.ms carbon fiber gas tank" search and there isn't much.

So if plastic tanks and coatings will all eventually fail + ethanol is not going away = should I just give up?!

Anywho - I do appreciate all the input. I'll keep you guys updated on which way I go and my experiences

Tuck and Kitty

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,391 Posts
Ethanol won't dissolve phenol novalac epoxy and that's what Caswell epoxy is.
Sure if you line a nylon tank with it, as the nylon moves it can cause a problem but when you make a carbon tank and use the novalac for the final inside layup and finish sealer coat it is permanent and part of the matrix.
Novalac is the most chemically resistant epoxy known to man, that's why it's primary industrial use if for cold room floors.
When I make my tanks, I put a last layer of kevlar on the inside to make the tank shatterproof and I lay that up with the Caswell
( probably bullet proof too :wink2:)
Anyone who has failures with novalac isn't doing the job properly.

Reactions: PhilBoncer

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I hope I never have to replace a tank for those prices.
Looks like the ETI tanks come in primer.
If I am paying that much, why can't I see the carbon fiber coolness? Why hide it under paint?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I hope I never have to replace a tank for those prices.
If I am paying that much, why can't I see the carbon fiber coolness? Why hide it under paint?
"This is due to ETI’s efficient use of Kevlar and Epoxy in its construction" no Carbon fiber
coolness to see.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,391 Posts

Epoxy resin isn't UV proof and over time will yellow and deteriorate.
So I lay my stuff up with a black epoxy gel coat before the carbon and clear resin and then paint them when finished.
I'm not into bragging rights and it's enough for me to know the tanks are carbon/kevlar without shouting it to the world.
Even better when someone admires the tank and I flip the Monza cap and show them the yellow kevlar inside, seen many a jaw drop.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I’ve owned at least (5) of their tanks.

https://eti-fuelcel.com/

They made a custom tank for my RC-45 and have done crash damage repairs on (2) tanks.
I have not been able to see one of the ETI tanks in person but I have seen a few Carbon
fiber tanks. The Carbon ones that I have seen are wavy not smooth are the ETI tanks
smooth like the stock plastic tanks? I ask because this would be for a Sport Classic the
tanks are large flat shapes on the top so if its not Flat and smooth it would look real
bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts