Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a very nice Shift Tech vertical cylinder cf cover and no matter how I try, it won't fit. According to their website the 999 base model and 999R require different covers. I bought the correct one from a site member. The problem as the pictures disclose is the bottom of the part, its substancially deeper, thus unable to squezze between the frame and cylinder. I removed as much as I could, lifted the tank and tried all the angles, no luck. Whats odd based on website pictures, the base 999 cf covers are the same shape as my stock covers, no big mouth end. Despite this, Shift Tech claims its not the right cover for the R bike, the cover with the wide mouth just below it on the website is the correct one. Seems strange, but just by looking at their pictures you would pick the base cover as the correct one, it simply looks like the stock R cover. I would not pick the cover that is supposed to be the correct part for the R bike, again, just by looking at it. I have an 03 999R, I would think all R models and even base models would have the same covers, but not according to how the Shift Tech site reads.

If anyone has had this same problem, is there a secret move that enables you to get the cover on? I didn't want to force the part fearing the sound of a snap. I figured time out for advise before I pull out the big hammer, thats assuming I have the correct part. I don't think so. I also emailed Shift Tech for clarification.

The two parts are standing on their sides, supported against a wheel of a Pit Bull.

Attachments

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
The early 999Rs had the same cover as the base model, later once were vented and wider (which is what you have). You cannot mix and match, so you need all vented (wide) or non-vented (narrow).

To install, you need to remove or lift the tank, AND remove the breather hose/box thingy.

Tom

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
+1, I had to pull the tank and crankcase breather, then manipulate the hell out of it, occasionally spritzing some soapy water for lubrication. It's a very tight fit.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Hey John,

You'll need to raise the tank as you did when you fitted the magnesium valve cover. Remove the crankcase beather crap completely, all the hoses, etc..clear that whole area out. I wrapped blue tape around the frame to prevent scratches-this way I could be a little more forceful w/o worrying about scratches. Now...bring the cover around the cylinder from the back near the exhaust manifold, leave it vertical and just walk it around the corner of the cylinder. It won't go in from the top, just walk it around from the back...with a little wiggling it will go right in. But as said you'll need the whole vented cover kit.

·
Registered
464 Posts
undo the seat/ tail assembly and shift it away from that side of the bike; disconnect the breather hose & tank -

Then come at the cylinder from the left side at an angle (right at the "corner") and turn it onto the belts, don't try to slide it through like the one you are replacing. It will fit, I have the same one on my '04.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey John,

You'll need to raise the tank as you did when you fitted the magnesium valve cover. Remove the crankcase beather crap completely, all the hoses, etc..clear that whole area out. I wrapped blue tape around the frame to prevent scratches-this way I could be a little more forceful w/o worrying about scratches. Now...bring the cover around the cylinder from the back near the exhaust manifold, leave it vertical and just walk it around the corner of the cylinder. It won't go in from the top, just walk it around from the back...with a little wiggling it will go right in. But as said you'll need the whole vented cover kit.

Thanks, I think I got it. Received an email from Guido as well. Personally, I could care less about vented in view of this. My former 999S had the none vented and it was easy on easy off for belt change, etc. I would rather have easier access than vents.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Why would Shift Tech sell the vertical only if you and another member are saying now you need the whole kit?
B/c cause the cover you have works with 05 and 06 models.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not really, it has to do with the fact its the vented version, its just as tough to mount it on later models as it is on mine. Unless you've done it before.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
INSTALLED - Piece of cake

Thanks for all the suggestions. I learned a few things with the install.

1. Don't need to remove tank, just lift it up as high as you can and place a support under it.
2. The key obstacle is the oil breather, that has to be unscrewed and the rubber tubing that connect to it moved aside. In order to get a small channel lock around it I had to remove a small connector in front of it, on the frame side. The connector is secured to the frame by a metal brace and it slides off, its on there tight but it will slide off. Then you can disconnect it and get your channel locks around the oil breather to unscrew it. With that out of the way the install was a piece of cake.
3. As others have said, you don't slide the cover down from the top, you put it down in the area where the oil breather was and then work the cover around the corner of the cylinder, left to right. You want to get around one of the cam rollers. I thought I was going to be in for a real push and pull operation, but once I started to "turn the corner" with the cover, it moved into position easilly. I was kind of shocked actually. I removed it and installed it again just to prove it was that easy.

Attachments

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
It's not necessary to remove the breather, just the rubber hose/box thingy.

I've done it many times.

Don't you have a big gap now with the vented V cover and the flat H and mid-section?

Tom

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had removed the breather tube and for me that wasn't good enough. If in fact you don't have to and your installing the "wide mouth" version then thats good to know the next time I have to remove it. That will be when I do the 6K valve clearance inspection/adjustment. I expect that will happen sometime in 2011.

Yeah, I have the big gap now but what you can't see won't hurt you. However, I don't like the possibility of crud and maybe a pebble getting up there now that you mention it. Another member advised he has the 05 middle and horizontal stock covers, he will sell it to me at a fair price. I assume its the "wide mouth" version. I didn't think I would want them at first, but looks like I may reconsider.

·
Registered
516 Posts
im confused, i ordered the vented r style cover for my base model 06. i thought the base model 05-06 had the r style covers, but guido from shift tech is saying i will have a gap at the bottom.
'

is this true??

if this is true does anyone make a nice vented cover for my 06 that will fit with no gap.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bump for an answer

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
im confused, i ordered the vented r style cover for my base model 06. i thought the base model 05-06 had the r style covers, but guido from shift tech is saying i will have a gap at the bottom.
'

is this true??

if this is true does anyone make a nice vented cover for my 06 that will fit with no gap.
Sounds like the base 05-06 models don't have the "wide mouth" bottoms like the vented R models do. They may have the vent, but the picture indicates a flatter piece from top to bottom, just like my stock one. The vertical Shift Tech cover I just installed is thicker than the stocker, a much better looking piece. Check out my original comparison pictures, the Shift Tech cf piece is clearly thicker all the way around compared to the stocker. Once you install the cf vented covers you then realize how much nicer they look beyond being carbon fiber. My installed picture doesn't do the part justice, the fact its thicker adds to its appearance.

I don't know of any quality cf manufacturer out there that makes a vented cover without the wide mouth bottom. I think in order to avoid the gap at the bottom you'll have to buy the complete set: vertical, horizontal and middle pieces. If a manufacturer does make a vented cf cover that doesn't have the wide bottom, or replicates the stock thickness, I believe it won't look anywhere near as nice as the Shift Tech product. Yeah, the other may have the vent, but it will be like the stock vent, kind of weak looking due to being narrow.

·
Registered
516 Posts
cool thanks for the input!!

could i piece of window insulation foam to seal the gap?

Sounds like the base 05-06 models don't have the "wide mouth" bottoms like the vented R models do. They may have the vent, but the picture indicates a flatter piece from top to bottom, just like my stock one. The vertical Shift Tech cover I just installed is thicker than the stocker, a much better looking piece. Check out my original comparison pictures, the Shift Tech cf piece is clearly thicker all the way around compared to the stocker. Once you install the cf vented covers you then realize how much nicer they look beyond being carbon fiber. My installed picture doesn't do the part justice, the fact its thicker adds to its appearance.

I don't know of any quality cf manufacturer out there that makes a vented cover without the wide mouth bottom. I think in order to avoid the gap at the bottom you'll have to buy the complete set: vertical, horizontal and middle pieces. If a manufacturer does make a vented cf cover that doesn't have the wide bottom, or replicates the stock thickness, I believe it won't look anywhere near as nice as the Shift Tech product. Yeah, the other may have the vent, but it will be like the stock vent, kind of weak looking due to being narrow.

·
Registered
516 Posts
i felt the need to update this thread, the carbon r style verticle cylinder belt cover from shift tech fit my base model 06 999 perfectly, no gap what so ever:)

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Correct, an carbon fiber R or vented cam belt cover w/ fit the OEM plastic center cover......perfectly. If you have a 2003-04' you'll need to buy the center and horizontal 2005+ covers.
Here are the part #'s

245.1.0601A-Center cover

245.1.0621A-Horizontal cover

I have either all 3 covers or just the center and horizontal listed above if anyone needs them.......JOHN!:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts