Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was reading in LT Synder's maintenance book that water and sun can cause yellowing and fading of carbon fiber. He recommends that you wax CF and try to keep it out of the sun.

Does anyone do this and if so, what kind of wax is best for CF?

p.s. what kind of wax do you use on painted surfaces (i.e. tank, fairings, etc)? I'm starting to notice some swirl marks on my 749 tank...I read on previous posts that the red paint is very soft though.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I treat my CF like any other painted surface. All my pieces so far are DP units which have a clear coat on them, so your favorite car wash and your favorite wax/polish is going to do the trick just fine. I have never had any of my pieces ever fade or yellow but there are a few different ways of processing CF, and not all are delivered with a clear coat. As for your painted surfaces (i.e. the entire bike) once again use your favorite products just like you would on your car. No difference. A VERY good product I can recommend that will take care of some of your light swirl marks and leave a very deep shining surface is Meguiars NXT wax. Eagle One Wet polish & wax is also a very good product. Always wash your bike before you do any waxing though with a good quality car wash as the surface of your bike (or any painted item) is somewhat porus and has many nooks and crannies (that are invisible to the naked eye..regardless of how slick you think your surface is) that fill with small particles of dust, road grime, and other airborne contaminants over time. You want to remove all this as much as possible before you start rubbing and what not on the surface. No, IMO, a good spray and wipe does not do the trick for preparing a surface properly for waxing ...NEVER use dish washing detergent. Sorry, never heard that one about the red one's being soft??? I've just always heard they were faster.

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
+1 on what Galaxy said. I've been in the car care business for a long time and I couldn't agree more. I would like to add many of the over the counter products are pretty good, I only deal in products made for the professional wholesale industry. Swirl marks and fine scratches are mostly confined to darker colors, they are a natural result of just being exposed to the environment and from simply cleaning your bike with a towel or washmitt. As Galaxy said, there are products that will take care of them, but for the most part they merely cover the scratches with a an oil based glaze. This is temporary, but adequate because its no big deal to re-apply the product again. I think taking care of my bike with frequent cleaning is fun, besides, you may find something like a loose bolt or a leak during the process. Its like preventive maintenance in a way. I have found to eradicate swirl for a longer period of time requires a buffing process with foam pads. One of these days I might post a piece on that complete with pictures, this will include some color sanding. Ducati fairings tolerate color sanding and buffing very well.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
use a little brasso metal polish for those swirls and other marks that don't come out with wax .brassos fine enough that you won't polish through if your inexperianced.then finish up with a good carnuba wax.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.