Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my carbon fiber airbox for my 2002 ducati 998 . from china and looks really nice from the outside . but oh boy does it look crappy and ugly from the inside! I'm going to try to install it tonight and see how its gonna fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Hate to say it, but looks like fiberglass base to me. In any case, I'm sure it looks good from the outside and weights less than the stock box.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hate to say it, but looks like fiberglass base to me. In any case, I'm sure it looks good from the outside and weights less than the stock box.
So, is it fiber glass or carbon fiber???

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yes it is carbon fiber and looks good from the outside but crappy and ugly from the inside . and fits ok .... here is some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I had an OEM Ducati 916 carbon fibre airbox that looked worse on the inside.

It was CF where it showed but looked like glass fibre on the inside, certainly had no carbon weave showing but it was stiffer and lighter than the plastic box.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
So, is it fiber glass or carbon fiber???
It looks like a fiberglass base layer, probaly with a CF outer layer for looks. I mean, it will function the same; no problem. Only thing is if the O.P. paid a premium price for a carbon airbox, I'd be pissed if I were him.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Low-end CF composite pieces are fiberglass reinforced. While the high-end CF pieces are reinforced with kevlar. The fiberglass reinforced pieces are still lighter than most of the OEM pieces they replace.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
What looks good on the outside and ugly and crappy on the inside? Take a guess.

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
Low-end CF composite pieces are fiberglass reinforced. While the high-end CF pieces are reinforced with kevlar. The fiberglass reinforced pieces are still lighter than most of the OEM pieces they replace.
LOL

not always. i have a high end claimed prepreg 1098 hugger here that is chopped matt glass on the inside painted black LMAO

not need to reinforce with kevlar on a airbox. kevlar is not as string as carbon and while it does offer better abrasion resistance then carbon who needs that on a airbox IMHO

glass blows all the way around IMO

·
MR. Twill
325 Posts
i just got my carbon fiber airbox for my 2002 ducati 998 . from china and looks really nice from the outside . but oh boy does it look crappy and ugly from the inside! I'm going to try to install it tonight and see how its gonna fit.
that is a very complicated part to make IMO and even if there is some glass if you paid less then a grand for it you got a steal

·
Registered
406 Posts
LOL

not always. i have a high end claimed prepreg 1098 hugger here that is chopped matt glass on the inside painted black LMAO

not need to reinforce with kevlar on a airbox. kevlar is not as string as carbon and while it does offer better abrasion resistance then carbon who needs that on a airbox IMHO

glass blows all the way around IMO

LOL

Here's some info from OPP Racing. . .

http://www.oppracing.com/product_info.php

A CF airbox for less than $200? Great deal!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts