Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I might be starting a flame war (I know you guys are better than that) but I'm trying to buy some carbon bits for my soon to be arriving Multi. I had some items on my Christmas list as gifts and now I need the rest. I have a piece from Bestem (rear chain guard) and another from shift-tech (rear brake line guard). Both seem like good quality parts.

I want to pick up the rest of the chain guard which will probably be from Bestem (so the two match) and the full rear fender (up in the air on who to buy it from). Is there any reason to go with one over the other? I'd like to buy from places here in the states, that's my only preference at this point.

It's been a while since I've picked up carbon for one of my bikes so I'm checking to see who people have been happy with.

·
Registered
489 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the Ducati OEM carbon bits pattern vs the aftermarket bits pattern. You did not specify what model Multi are you getting. In my case I have a 2012 PP. The only non-OEM carbon bit is the exhaust cover on the Akrapovic slip-on. If you inspect it closely you will see that the carbon fiber pattern is different in texture and even slightly in color from the OEM Ducati carbon bits that come on the PP.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
You'll never know what you run into, I remember buying mirror covers full carbon fron QB (I believe) and were the shittiest pieces of crap you can possibly imagine, then I purchased a made in china rear fender for my 999R to do some painting onto it and it was spectacular, CF weave was perfect, the clear was stunning, you just never know!
Never had a problem with shift-tech pieces, every one I've ever purchased was spot on perfect, just like Carbonworld and Ilmberger.

·
Registered
504 Posts
+1, very high quality. I bought my front fender and my belly pan i cf from Ilmberger. Fast delivery and highest possible uqality.
Y...Ilmberger....

·
Registered
490 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the Ducati OEM carbon bits pattern vs the aftermarket bits pattern. You did not specify what model Multi are you getting. In my case I have a 2012 PP. The only non-OEM carbon bit is the exhaust cover on the Akrapovic slip-on. If you inspect it closely you will see that the carbon fiber pattern is different in texture and even slightly in color from the OEM Ducati carbon bits that come on the PP.
AND the new 2013 Pikes Peak comes with yet another Ducati OEM pattern for the Carbon parts. They seem to be opaque with smaller weave patterns. I haven't seen them in person. Photos from the distance they look like regular plastic. On close-up shots they look nice. I'm curious to see how it looks in person.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
AND the new 2013 Pikes Peak comes with yet another Ducati OEM pattern for the Carbon parts. They seem to be opaque with smaller weave patterns. I haven't seen them in person. Photos from the distance they look like regular plastic. On close-up shots they look nice. Time will tell.
It looks like they adopted the same finish that is on the Panigale, plain weave with flat finish from what you can see on the pics.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's personal of course, but I love the carbon parts. I'm usually not a fan of personalizing a bike. I prefer mostly original factory accessories if I feel the need of changing something. I don't like some of the hideous customization's you see sometimes, like golden wheels or ugly wheel stripes.

On my non-S Touring model (without any carbon) I changed the nose to a carbon version, just like the MTS S has. It looks fantastic, it really fits the bike. Got it from Carbonworld.de

I'm still thinking to add some more carbon, like the fairing cover, front fender cover and the back wheel cover (mud guard?) Maybe next spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's personal of course, but I love the carbon parts. I'm usually not a fan of personalizing a bike. I prefer mostly original factory accessories if I feel the need of changing something. I don't like some of the hideous customization's you see sometimes, like golden wheels or ugly wheel stripes.

On my non-S Touring model (without any carbon) I changed the nose to a carbon version, just like the MTS S has. It looks fantastic, it really fits the bike. Got it from Carbonworld.de

I'm still thinking to add some more carbon, like the fairing cover, front fender cover and the back wheel cover (mud guard?) Maybe next spring.

Ummm your bike is an 's' model, just not the sport model. You still have the ohlins forks which only come on 's' models.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You did not specify what model Multi are you getting. In my case I have a 2012 PP.
Sorry about that, mines a 13 Touring. So no CF from the factory. Probably just try and stick to one manufacturer just to side step the different weave issue.

Honestly maybe I don't have a discerning enough eye but looking at the two pieces in front of me (shift-tech and Bestem) I can't tell a difference in the weave or the finish. They both seem like very nice quality.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
It's hard to know what you are getting until it's in your hands...I could very well be mistaken, (it's stated in their adds) but I believe Bestem are not completely carbon, they are fiberglass backed, why they are much more affordable:think:. I have personally made some carbon parts for my CBR that were glass backed and they have +60,000 miles on them and still look super. The weight on a fender is a only few ounces more with glass. I use full carbon on the pieces I make now, just because I can. But I see nothing wrong with glass backed pieces. I only bring it up to help inform. Better to know as much as possible and make the decision that fit your needs:)

Now is where I say, buy some carbon and make your own, then it all matches :D

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Ti, a little searching around has uncovered others that have (after crashing) looked at the ebestem stuff and found it to be based in glass. For the price though I can't complain about the finish or the strength, I guess for the price they had to cut the corner somewhere.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
On the Bestem site, they list 2 options for most CF parts, Carbon(glass backed) or 100% carbon.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The standard experience (including my own) is that the aftermarket heat shields turn yellow if you ride much. :mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, Just took delivery of my '13 Pikes Peak Saturday. I too am looking for a few bits that Ducati doesn't offer (ie, Sprocket Cover). You may have stated in an earlier post, are you going with gloss or matt?

I have posted a picture of the OEM Tidy Tail that was originally glossy and that we wet-sanded to match the new matt finish on the '13 Pikes Peak.

By the way, I'm in Baton Rouge.

All the best!

Jim French

Attachments

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
+1, very high quality. I bought my front fender and my belly pan i cf from Ilmberger. Fast delivery and highest possible uqality.
+1 and Julius the owner is a cool guy to chat with too. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi, Just took delivery of my '13 Pikes Peak Saturday. I too am looking for a few bits that Ducati doesn't offer (ie, Sprocket Cover). You may have stated in an earlier post, are you going with gloss or matt?

I have posted a picture of the OEM Tidy Tail that was originally glossy and that we wet-sanded to match the new matt finish on the '13 Pikes Peak.

All the best!

Jim French
What, and that's it? Aren't you going to say something more about this beauty?

I have one of these on order as well (to be in my garage in March/April).

Lion

·
Registered
17 Posts
Carbon Bits / Follow Up

Thank you Gents. I am embarrassed to say that I have put less than 10 miles on the bike.

My initial reaction is that from "take-off", it doesn't seem like a Ducati. Strangely smooth. LED lighting is remarkably bright. As to the suspension, I just don't know yet.

I have to tell you, that I have never loved a motorcycle (some 35+ bikes in my life), like my 2010 MultiStrada S. I have been very nervous about trading. And in the end, I did trade. My initial gut feeling tells me "it'll be okay".

Hope to ride over the Holiday weekend. Happy to answer any questions that you may have. With regard to the order date, I told my dealer that I wanted one when it was announced.

All the best!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

All the best!

Jim French
Awsome, Just ordered my 2013 pikes peak !! :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts