Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

I have a carbie supersport (FE) with stock forks. I own a set of Race Tech springs for my weight. I would like to swap out the springs and change the fork oil.

Q1- how do I swap the springs? If I undo the top bolt will the springs be easily accessible with no special tools- just out with the old and in with the new and reverse to close up?

Q2- there is no oil drain in the bottom of the Showas. How do I get the fork oil out to swap it with 3.5-5W? Without the springs will I be able to compress the forks to get the oil above the valves so I can suck it out with a pump? Or do I have to remove the forks to turn them upside down?

Q3- I have not installed gold valves. Some online have said it is not worth the effort/cost. To do so means the purchase ($169) plus sending my shocks out for complete re and re (probably that much again). Having said that, is 3.5-5 weight oil the right oil with the stock valves?

Thanks
Sheldon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi folks.

I have a carbie supersport (FE) with stock forks. I own a set of Race Tech springs for my weight. I would like to swap out the springs and change the fork oil.

Q1- how do I swap the springs? If I undo the top bolt will the springs be easily accessible with no special tools- just out with the old and in with the new and reverse to close up?
In a nutshell, yes. The springs are compressed, so you want to raise the front end with a steering head front stand, or by suspending the bike from rafters, to extend the forks as far as possible. The fork caps come off easily, bit with your new springs, you will be pressing down HARD on the fork caps just to get them to contact the fork, and it is VERY EASY to cross-thread those fine-threaded aluminum fork caps, so be very careful. It's extremely helpful to have a friend available for the re-installation process.

Q2- there is no oil drain in the bottom of the Showas. How do I get the fork oil out to swap it with 3.5-5W? Without the springs will I be able to compress the forks to get the oil above the valves so I can suck it out with a pump? Or do I have to remove the forks to turn them upside down?
Best to remove the fork legs, of course. However, with the springs out, you can, in fact, siphon most of the fork oil out without taking the forks out of the triples. If you're not racing or track riding the bike, siphoning and then refilling with the new oil is probably sufficient.

Q3- I have not installed gold valves. Some online have said it is not worth the effort/cost. To do so means the purchase ($169) plus sending my shocks out for complete re and re (probably that much again). Having said that, is 3.5-5 weight oil the right oil with the stock valves?

Thanks
Sheldon
I personally would spend the money to have the forks rebuilt professionally. They're 10 years old, and you're replacing the springs and fork oil anyway. I've used Traxxion Dynamics and ThermosMan and Lindemann Engineering and several other suspension tuners over the years, and a well-set-up fork is a joy. If they know what they are doing, you should only have to tell them your weight, your riding habits, and they should be able to set the fork up to work for you, right out of the box.

Good luck whatever you decide,

Tim M.
--
Herndon, VA

·
Registered
421 Posts
?

Don't hesitate just do it. Gold Valves will completely transform you bike. I got the springs and gold valve from Rick and Motion dynamics www.motocd.com.

He advised on the springs and shim stack per my weight and type of riding. It's a reasonably easy do it yourself job. Although I did ring Rick to double check part of the procedure.

After sales phone support was superb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts