Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to replacing the headlamp bulb on a carbie 900ss without disassembling the entire front fairing assembly? I've actually got the bulb snapped back into the housing, but I've lost most of the skin on my hands trying to get the rubber rain boot back in place!

The idiotic thing about this is that there was nothing wrong with the bulb! After I got the damn thing out I got smart enough to check the fuse, which was missing! I pop in the spare and the headlight (now dangling!) comes on!

Learn from my stupidity! Check the obvious before you start pulling shit apart!

Oh yeah, this fell on the ground while I was digging around behind the headlamp. Any help to identify it would be greatly appreciated! Hint: it's rubber!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I still happened to have the parts manual open - vibration dampers for the gauges look like they have a hole through them.

I was thinking of a frame plug but there are none are shown there either. And most of the other frame plugs are plastic.

With my bike I have a headlight on/off switch and a park (or running) light in the headlight (8 watt). Could it be a plug that fills that hole if it's not used? But the parts manual doesn't show a blanking plug like that anywhere near the headlight... next.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Is there a trick to replacing the headlamp bulb on a carbie 900ss without disassembling the entire front fairing assembly? I've actually got the bulb snapped back into the housing, but I've lost most of the skin on my hands trying to get the rubber rain boot back in place!

The idiotic thing about this is that there was nothing wrong with the bulb! After I got the damn thing out I got smart enough to check the fuse, which was missing! I pop in the spare and the headlight (now dangling!) comes on!

Learn from my stupidity! Check the obvious before you start pulling shit apart!

Oh yeah, this fell on the ground while I was digging around behind the headlamp. Any help to identify it would be greatly appreciated! Hint: it's rubber!
That looks like the hard rubber plug for the inboard side of your clip on.
the only way to change the bulb is to remove the front fairing. loosen the three headlight adjusting screws. one on top one on each side of the headlight. You will notice that there is a slot to remove the headlight by moving the screws to the bigger holes in the channel they are in captured in.the headlight will come out nice and easy then.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still happened to have the parts manual open - vibration dampers for the gauges look like they have a hole through them.

I was thinking of a frame plug but there are none are shown there either. And most of the other frame plugs are plastic.

With my bike I have a headlight on/off switch and a park (or running) light in the headlight (8 watt). Could it be a plug that fills that hole if it's not used? But the parts manual doesn't show a blanking plug like that anywhere near the headlight... next.
Actually the piece is more like plastic than flexible rubber, and it does look a lot like one of the bumpers that fits into the end of the rod that supports the large side fairing pieces, but both of those are intact. It could just be one that the previous owner dropped and thought he lost, but it was just hung up in the wiring under the instrument cluster.

I still can't figure out the rubber cap that goes over the back of the headlamp assembly. I guess I'm going to go ahead and get new wellnuts for all the fairing hardware and dissasemble the whole thing and look at it then.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Joe, I've had my headlight (and everything else) off my 1997 900 SS/SP a zillion times and I don't ever remember seeing that rubber piece! As far as the headlight goes, as was said, you do have to remove the nose fairing (no big deal). You do not have to loosen the adjusting screws; they are spring loaded in slots and you can push the headlight back in and down and it should come off. The rubber cap on the back fits over 2 prongs on the back of the headlight that are off to the sides; carefully pull the tabs on the rubber cover out and back. Removing the fairing on carbed Supersports is pretty easy. You don't have to replace wellnuts unless they are falling apart. Check your local (large) hardware store; I found out mine stocked wellnuts! Also, you don't have to remove the side fairings to get the nose fairing off. Just the 4 screws at the front that connect the side fairings to the nose fairing, and the rear view mirrors.
Joe

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I dug around in my spare parts box and found my old stock clip-ons and sure enough, it's the plug that goes in the inboard end of the handlebars. See if it fits there (and if one or both are missing). Mine had contact cement on it from when I glued it in. They get hard and fall out with age.
Joe

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wellnut tip: Lowes carries M5 (or is it M6?) and at $0.99 per they're about 25% the cost at any motorcycle dealer.

While you have the headlight assembly apart check the bulb plug; they tend to overheat and melt, especially if someone has used a higher output bulb. It's a standard H4 plug, available at any car parts place.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wellnut tip: Lowes carries M5 (or is it M6?) and at $0.99 per they're about 25% the cost at any motorcycle dealer.

While you have the headlight assembly apart check the bulb plug; they tend to overheat and melt, especially if someone has used a higher output bulb. It's a standard H4 plug, available at any car parts place.
www.desmoparts.com has the 6M Wellnuts for only $.70 each, and the M4 and M6 are cheaper still. Chris also has great deals on stainless hardware sets and those pesky white plastic washers the Ducati sticks everywhere. Good luck trying to find someone who stocks those! He ships by priority mail and you usually get your stuff in a day or two. I ordered a bunch of them yesterday and got them today.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I bought a stainless steel screw kit from desmoparts a couple of years ago. It came with the nylon washers were they were needed.

The whole kit is ideal if you need to drill the head of a standard part - just reach into the stash to get a new item to replace it.

It is not complete - not included are bolts that hold the side stand bracket to the case, bit I bought 2 button head stainless steel allen head bolts cheaply enough locally form a bolt supplier. Handy to have the spare well nuts too,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts