Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I expect someone will just tell me to do more reading/research, and I'm doing that right now, but as I think of something I'm just gonna throw it out there and ask before I forget.
You guys who have been here for a long time are no doubt sick of the same newbie questions but I'm quickly getting very excited about this bike I'm gonna own so I just want some interaction from my Ducati superiors (basically every one of you)
Theres a bike for sale at the moment here in Oz '97 900SS and the guy says it uses Japanese electronics like its a better thing. Am I wrong in assuming '91-'97 all had the same electronics?
I'm also reading about cracks in frames. Where does it commonly occur? (This would be a major factor regarding price on a private sellers bike I'm checking out)

Yes Yes I am reading more
Thanks for any insights

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
they had kokusan (japanese) ignition units and ducati electronica voltage regs as std. most will have some other reg by now, i use shindengan (japanese).

japanese carbs (mikuni) and suspension (showa) too. these two items in particular are what made it such a good bike in its own right and especially in comparison to the 1990 900ss.

frames crack from the rivet holes for the compliance plates and the welded brackets for the tank hold down hook. look for fine rust lines as well, and underneath the tubes.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
The 97 in America was pretty much the same as the prior bikes where the 98 was updated but still a carby. Brad will know best what you might have seen in 97 on your side of the world as we often ran a year behind the rest of the world... yes we are a little slow.

A couple pictures of the regulator and a picture of the left side engine cover will tell which charging system you have, if you are planning on running lots of additional electrics then the 98 and later charging system was worth having. If not the early systems have no issues running the bike when the hit or miss regulator is swapped out for something more reliable. For normal use I would not care.

A US model 97 will have a better set of cylinder studs than the chrome studs earlier bikes had so if they are not chrome looking that's good.
The swingarm if aluminum should be the updated (IIRC) swingarm, where the swingarm pivot bolt head is fully encapsulated.
In the US the early 97 frames did crack but somewhere in 97 they seemed to have finally figured it out and late production 97's had no such problems. I cannot tell you how many frames I changed under warranty so even a bad year/model may have a updated frame.

I would look for these things but know they all are fixable it just depends on cost and how much of a project you are willing to undertake.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just discovered the '97 model here in Oz got an upgraded fairing which channeled air directly onto the rear cylinder. I'm really liking that little point of difference.
In Australia we had (if we're talking 900's)
900SS half fairing (CR I think it was in America)
900SS full fairing
900SS SL (superlight)
We did not get the SP or FE models
I'm very interested to see if any of our 900SS full fairing bikes (which is probably what I'll get) have an aluminium swingarm or the wider rear rim, which maybe only came on our Superlights

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the cr and sp were usa only bikes, altho a few sp came here late 96 i think. we only sold 1 from memory. it was what we got sent for a customer who had ordered a 900ss. it was a case of "here is your ss", no one knew an sp was coming. i think the story was that they had some at the factory and no euro spec bikes, altho that would mean it had to be modifed (headlight at least) for au. the cr is a 750 chassis with a 900 engine. the sp is a superlight with a dual seat.

in terms of au delivered bikes, the half fairing is a euro 900ss with a half fairing. the full fairing is a euro 900ss with a full fairing. simple. all had aluminium swingarms and 5.5 rear wheels. the superlight is a slightly modded euro 900ss.

the 97 had a few of the superlight bits, and the restyled fairing.

we got the fe, wasn't a lot of them around tho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts