Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's probably user error, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Could use your input...

Sometimes if I roll to a stop and want to shut off the bike, still in 1st gear, it won't shut off. I'll hold the slide switch down and nothing happens until the third or fourth time. Any ideas?

I haven't had an issue when I stop, put it in Neutral, then try to shut off. I think it might be a timing thing. Maybe I am trying to shut it off too soon after (or even prior to) stopping. I dunno.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I only hold the switch down for a 1/2 second or so and haven't had this problem. But you can also shut it off by putting the kickstand down with it in gear. I do this
about half the time. Then just reach up and slide the switch down then back up to turn the power off.
Mike

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only hold the switch down for a 1/2 second or so and haven't had this problem. But you can also shut it off by putting the kickstand down with it in gear. I do this
about half the time. Then just reach up and slide the switch down then back up to turn the power off.
Mike
The engine shuts off. No issue there. I'm talking about shutting off the electronics and display.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
You have to push the red button in (forward) while sliding it down. If you swipe it down without doing so it won't kill the electronics.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I figured it out. I can duplicate the condition where it won't shut off. Basically, the bike detects when it is rolling, even very very slowly, and won't shut the electronics off. You have to be FULLY stopped before it will.

Here's how to duplicate the condition if you're so inclined...

1) With the engine on, 1st gear, clutch in, roll to a stop without actually stopping completely.
2) Turn the engine off by flipping the right hand switch down.
3) Without fully stopping, hold the switch down to try to shut the electronics off.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I found that out as few weeks ago when I met some horse riders on a country road. As I was riding downhill I thought I'd just kill the engine and coast past but found that it wouldn't shut off while the wheels were turning.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found that out as few weeks ago when I met some horse riders on a country road. As I was riding downhill I thought I'd just kill the engine and coast past but found that it wouldn't shut off while the wheels were turning.
+1 for confirming and being courteous!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
OK, I figured it out. I can duplicate the condition where it won't shut off. Basically, the bike detects when it is rolling, even very very slowly, and won't shut the electronics off. You have to be FULLY stopped before it will.

Here's how to duplicate the condition if you're so inclined...

1) With the engine on, 1st gear, clutch in, roll to a stop without actually stopping completely.
2) Turn the engine off by flipping the right hand switch down.
3) Without fully stopping, hold the switch down to try to shut the electronics off.
I can shut my 2010 down before a complete stop using the tank button

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can shut my 2010 down before a complete stop using the tank button
I'll give that a try out of curiosity. Thanks. I wonder if the 2013s are different in this way. Does the switch work to shut off the electronics on yours when you're rolling in 1st?

By the way, I like your avatar. Got a full length shot? I'm curious what she looks like.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had one incident when the bike wouldn't shut down, not the engine but the rest of the electrics. It was stationary in the garage with the side stand down. The red switch would stop\start the engine. But no combination would turn of the rest, it was also making a high whining noise, from somewhere in the engine area.
I was able to shutdown via the tank button and it's not happened since, so no idea to the cause.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I'll give that a try out of curiosity. Thanks. I wonder if the 2013s are different in this way. Does the switch work to shut off the electronics on yours when you're rolling in 1st?

By the way, I like your avatar. Got a full length shot? I'm curious what she looks like.
I'm always in neutral when I do it, maybe that's the difference? I always use the tank button, never touch the red handlebar switch.

Sorry, no full length shot on the picture...unfortunately!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts