Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my tank back from the repair shop, they've (hopefully) fixed the leak issue with an $80 solder job. However, I can't for the life of me get the fuel cap assembly back on! The thing has a big green O ring and no matter what I do I can't get it to seat into the tank!

I've tried tons of grease, a rubber mallet, heat gun, and even kneeling on the tank (I weigh 190 pounds :eek:) with no luck. Do I need to take this thing to somebody with a press or is there some trick I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if it is this but you might have the gasket in the wrong spot. Same thing happened to me when I changed the fuel filter inside the tank. Try relocating the gasket to the outermost area of the gas cap. It should be effortless once the gasket is in the right spot.

·
Registered
735 Posts
back on . . .

First make sure all the little screws around the perimeter are flush or just below the outside surface of the cap body. Take off the black gasket ring at the top of the body, you will put that on last. Make sure the inside of the tank opening is smooth and clean. Put a your finger in a little clean oil once and use it to lightly coat the inside of the tank opening. Be certain the green o-ring is not stuck, torn or damaged, or hardened. Take off the green o-ring and fit the cap assembly into the opening. Does it fit real easily? Now put the green o-ring back on, and carefully press the assembly into the tank opening. Align the gas cap to be straight and when the top of the assembly is nearly flush to the top of the tank, put on the black gasket ring around the outer edge. If it slips too far in, you have too much gap. Try again, and get it right. Then push the cap assembly the last bit down and tight the little set screws evenly. 12 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 9 , 3 , 10, 4, 2, 8, you get the idea. No need to overtighten the little screws, stripping them is very bad. That should do it! Take your time and don't force it. The oil is so minimal that it will dissolve in the gas easily.

Fred

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips - I was able to get it to seat fine without the gasket but no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to seat with the gasket installed. I've tossed the cap assembly and gasket in the freezer and will try again tomorrow. If that doesn't work I guess I'm heading to the mechanic. I'll send an update when I have something new to report.

This smiley made me smile: :abduct:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just pressed it and used a lot of grease. Other possibility is to cut a small piece from the o-ring and then glue it back together with loctite superglue. Then it should be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Be sure the green gasket isn't slipping up. Mine did that and kept the filler assembly from seating. I used a ball end allen key to work the green gasket into the slot. FredSmoot23 technique worked for me. Push the cap assembly almost all of the way down and fit the black gasket from the outside. LT Snyder has a different method in his book using medical clamps. While you are in there change the fuel filter too...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
seat it evenly all the way around, take a piece of wood across the top of the gas cap, ENSURE YOU HAVE THE O RING GREASED!!!

Take a rubber mallet and with a decent amount of force, tap the wood over the top of the gas cap all the way around.

It will seat, i guarantee you this. I've had mine out at LEAST 6 times now. I've also never had to replace the o-ring due to tearing since I've been very careful to do it correctly.

It's all about applying the pressure evenly and firmly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help. I finally gave up and brought it to the dealer. I thought that it would be a quick and easy (and cheap!) job, but I was wrong. They charged me $80 to pop the thing in! :eek: Thanks for all the replies, if I have to do this again I'll make sure I follow everyone's advice and hopefully get it figured out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kinda late and not even sure if it will help any one, but on my 99 900SS when I was reinstalling the gas cap assembly, I had similar problems, but just inched the green o-ring into place with a screwdriver covered with a rag until it cleared the outter rim on the tank after pulling all the small allen screws out as far as I could... But what almost frustrated me to an end was the black outer gasket ring that is partially visible from the top of the tank. getting that seated correctly (as when it looked right, it wouldn't stay that way for long of if even breathed on, it would flip down on itself) was the only real hurdle for me... Good luck, and hopefully there is no next time for you jerkychew!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts