Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got the new lines on no problem, after draining per Ducati's instructions in the service manual. Now again per the service manual, I started filling the expansion tank, but it doesn't seem to want to do anything, only allows me to put about half the original amount in and is FULL. So I turned the bike on to see if some kind of vacuum action would happen, let it warm up til the fan came on per Ducati's instructions again, but nothing. The tank won't go down and the lines are rad are bone cold, nothing entering them.

Any tricks here?

Shawn

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Did you fill the radiator first? You can't fill an empty system by the expansion tank.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you fill the radiator first? You can't fill an empty system by the expansion tank.
No and it was strange to me that the service manual never noted that, but I figured I'd go by the book LOL. OK I know what the approximate difference is right now, so I'll add that amount to the top of the rad once the bike has cooled for half hour or so...

Thanks man! Hope it works...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My service manual indicates to refill the coolant system through the expansion tank.

However, I fill the radiator first, and then the expansion tank.

When done, start the bike and let it sit until it gets fully hot for a couple of minutes, then let it cool down. This purges air out of the system. You will almost certainly lose a little fluid in this process as the system finds its proper level.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
+1,hopefully you have no damage as it sounds like the engine has no coolant and has been hot enough to trigger the fans

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My service manual indicates to refill the coolant system through the expansion tank.

However, I fill the radiator first, and then the expansion tank.

When done, start the bike and let it sit until it gets fully hot for a couple of minutes, then let it cool down. This purges air out of the system. You will almost certainly lose a little fluid in this process as the system finds its proper level.
Good to know I'm not crazy LOL. Thanks I'll go by your advice in a few minutes...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1,hopefully you have no damage as it sounds like the engine has no coolant and has been hot enough to trigger the fans
I should be ok I hope, it was only on for long enough to start rising in temps per Ducati's instructions and I saw it wasn't doing what it should so I turned it off...

It's not hot out today and I would hope the oil is enough to keep it cool for that short a period - I didn't rev it at all. Nor did any lights come on for idiots like me!

edit: and it triggered the fans at around 96, well under Ducati's 105...

·
Registered
920 Posts
I went through the same thing myself.

I'm not a wrench, so I followed directions to the letter in my service manual. It took a search on this site to help me out. +1 Fill the res. first.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went through the same thing myself.

I'm not a wrench, so I followed directions to the letter in my service manual. It took a search on this site to help me out. +1 Fill the res. first.
Anyone from Ducati listening? Geesh. Something like this could cause real problems. What if some guy followed the instructions and WENT FOR A RIDE???

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems fine, started her up after 10 minutes off, i.e., after initial start. Went for a ride, runs a little hotter now but I'm guessing that's the coolant I lost. I'm not exactly sure what the volume SHOULD be but I went by what came out and replaced with that much, minus whatever may have dribbled out or got expelled out the overflow...so I'm guessing it's a little low. The tank itself is below maximum now.

But I'm putting Speedymoto pump on when it gets here so I'll completely flush at that time...top up til then.

I nailed it a few times, nothing at all different from previous rides (except I 'really' nailed it in second for once...wee!); the fact of having no fairing made it a bit windy LOL...waiting for carbon airduct covers and behind the dash so I'll put it all back together Tuesday when they (hopefully) get here...and the Dzus fasteners I'll do tomorrow which will make doing the Speedymoto a breeze when it gets here...

I really hope the air ducts have the little clip area built in for the top fairing. The seat didn't...which is fine but there's a lot more stress/pressure on the top fairing at that point then there was on the soloseat.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
....... sounds like the engine has no coolant and has been hot enough to trigger the fans
The temp gauge and fans probably would't have come on as there wasn't enough water to make contact with the temp sending unit. Sending units can't read steam.

No vehicle's cooling system I have ever worked on can be filled through its expansion tank. The radiator or other reservoir on the pressurized side must be filled first before the expansion tank can do its job.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The temp gauge and fans probably would't have come on as there wasn't enough water to make contact with the temp sending unit. Sending units can't read steam.

No vehicle's cooling system I have ever worked on can be filled through its expansion tank. The radiator or other reservoir on the pressurized side must be filled first before the expansion tank can do its job.
The fans came on, and that's when I turned the bike off. I have seen this thing hit 105 previously and it didn't hit close to that, didn't break 100. I'm not sure what to say, maybe the Nemesis causes certain differences?

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
The fans came on ....... I'm not sure what to say
In that case, the system had enough water to cover the sender.

That doesn't change the fact that the system needs to be filled at the radiator first then topping off at the expansion tank after a few heat cycles.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

That doesn't change the fact that the system needs to be filled at the radiator first then topping off at the expansion tank after a few heat cycles.
Yep. I know for next time at least LOL...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bike's fine, I put about 20Km on and it's running exactly as before. However the old hoses were black, and the new ones are blue, and typically blue is lighter than black, so I noticed it was faster...

(kidding!)

FYI, I couldn't get the cap right off the rad because of the air duct, so I was like, hum, what now...I'm not pulling the air duct off.

So I just went shopping for kitchen supplies the other day...and my brand new (unused) turkey baster is in my toolkit now since it fits perfectly when you unscrew the cap and use the baster to add coolant. Slow, but good for lazy wrenchers...and people who eat turkey.

Shawn

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Let's highlight this for anyone who follows Ducati's advice and really isn't a mechanic type, like me:)

·
9,757 Posts

Ever worked on a BMW (car)? The expansion tank is adjacent to the radiator and you fill the system up directly through the tank. There's also a bleed screw right next to the expansion tank.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Well I've changed coolant many a time on my 916 and always just filled it from the header tank. As long as you squeeze the hoses and 'burp' it a few times it's not a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
+1 on the `burp` method. Just fill to the high mark and then pump the lowest pipe coming from the radiator. You`ll see the water level go down. Repeat this until the water level stay`s on the high mark.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Ever worked on a BMW (car)? The expansion tank is adjacent to the radiator and you fill the system up directly through the tank. There's also a bleed screw right next to the expansion tank.
No, I haven't worked on a BMW before. But, I have worked on similar systems and you are correct with your statement (my current beater for instance). Those systems are still fairly rare and I don't believe that the motorcycle in question here has the bleed valve and so needs to be filled via the radiator.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts