Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I plan on buying a Ducati soon, in the next couple of months. I have a Honda CBR 1000rr 2004. But now I cannot decide on which Ducati to get, the 749 or the 999? I know I won't be disappointed in with any model. But I need some advice on which one. I was even thinking about the 749r. What is the difference between riding a bike like mines and a Ducati? The Honda is the only bike I've ever owned and it's also the very first bike I ever ridden. I wasn't afraid to go big for my first bike. So just need some help in deciding on the model.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
It all depends on what riding your doing.

The 749 is a good bike, the 749R is a great bike, but really made for track use. alot of specials like full Öhlinssuspension and stuff like that.

The 999 has more engine then the 749. Alot more low-middle and top end. Suspension is good enough if your not a racer (it really is VERY good).

Personally, I´d go for the 999. Since your already on a powerful bike, going down in power to what a CBR600 has (or maybe even a little less) might not make you a happy owner.

But try both! You shouldn´t buy on advice alone. It might not even be that after the testride that you even like one off them. So TRY them out and see what you think! Getting to a dealer that has a 749R demo might be hard..

//amullo

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Getting_one_soon said:
Hello everyone,

I plan on buying a Ducati soon, in the next couple of months. I have a Honda CBR 1000rr 2004. But now I cannot decide on which Ducati to get, the 749 or the 999? I know I won't be disappointed in with any model. But I need some advice on which one. I was even thinking about the 749r. What is the difference between riding a bike like mines and a Ducati? The Honda is the only bike I've ever owned and it's also the very first bike I ever ridden. I wasn't afraid to go big for my first bike. So just need some help in deciding on the model.

Thank you
That's alot of coin, you better do your research. You can get 2 bikes for the price of one Ducati.

The Ducati.com website has a lot of information on the current models. There are alot of threads on 200x vs. 200x comparisons. Check those threads out if you haven't already. In general the closer to current year, the the better the trickle down theory applies (better stuff makes it way down to the lesser models)

Once you narrow it down to the year you want, you should be asking specific information on that model year. Some years have gear that wasn't included in the prior year. Other years are quirkier than others. Just like a car. At least you'll know what you're in for for that particular model year.

One thing I do know is that there is nothing like a Ducati and you'll have a blast.

Welcome to the world of Ducati!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
well...hell...since you grabbed the steer by the horns before and got a litre bike out of the box without a 2nd thought...why not go hog wild and get a 999R and go all the way babeeeee!

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Get a new 999s. About the same price as a 749r. Excellent suspension, brakes, power, etc.. And, you'll have an excellent starting point with great stock components to add lots of goodies to make the bike of your dreams. I have a 999r, and I can tell you, I love my machine, BUT, an "S would have been awesome also...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
said it before,buy the one you can afford.nobody ever wishes they bought a base or a 's'when they own a 'r'.as far as size ,if i did most my riding above 100 mph,i'd get a 999.thats where they shine.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I have a base 05 999 and when my wife and I picked it, my wife asked why I didn't go for the "S"? What I am getting at is I wish I would have gone for the "S" I am not disappointed with my red baby, but the goodies on the "S" would be sweet. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
in your shoes, i'd get a 749s and save money for mods and track days. you already have a liter bike. that or trade the 1000rr and get a 999 and 600 japanese bike. it's nice to have a smaller, more agile bike and one with more power. i suppose it also depends on what you are using them for.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting_one_soon said:
Hello everyone,

What is the difference between riding a bike like mines and a Ducati?

Before you jump right into buying a brand new 999, know anyone who rides a twin? RC-51, TL-1000 or other Ducati's like 916, 996 etc...that you might be able to test ride? I would sample a twin first at least and see if that's the direction you want to go. If you do like it why not a 999 best twin out there.

I guess real question here is CBR-1000 vs. what more you expect to get out of 999, otherwise why make the change right? I'm sure someone on this forum has ridden both bikes and can answer it better than I can.

Keith

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Are you keeping the CBR?

If you are and want to take the Duc to the track, maybe the 749R would be a nice choice, but if you're getting rid of the CBR and/or like some low rpm grunt i'd say the 999S is a better choice.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Getting_one_soon said:
Hello everyone,

What is the difference between riding a bike like mines and a Ducati?

Thank you

Ducati should feel a lot more confident on the road at speed, but less happy at slow speeds.

big diffrence is going to be the way they deliver power. V twins have more torque but less horse power than 4 cylanders. That means you will get more instant responce from the throttle at most (expecily low) RPM ranges, but at high RPM and high speed (were HP kicks in) the Ducati will be at a disadvantage. For the average user the torque is a lot of fun and a bit more practical in my mind.

I dont think the riding position is quite as comfortable on the Ducati sport bikes as the Japanies ones. Ducatis position theory is a racers tuck made comfortable. Japaniese rideing position theory is a street bikes upright position made racey. The end result is the ducati favors a sportier but less comfortable rideing position than the jap bikes.

999 and 749 will also feel very thin between your legs.

if you've been rideing a CBR 1000 and arn't dead yet you can probobly safely purchas a 999 or 999s. you might be disapointed in the lack of power in the 749 series. 749 is more for the guy that wants to ring out the engin for power and finness there way threw the corners on a budget (not sure if that word really fits in context of a ducati but there you have it). the 999 has brute power but the same handeling. I think if your going to hit track days the 749 is a better bike to learn how to be fast on because it doesnt have the power to cover up your mistakes like the 999.

Also consider price of ownership befor you buy. Ducati mantinace charges are very very high compared to Japanies bikes.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Riding Position

Just to add to the already good responses above ...

Perhaps I could be wrong, but I think that the riding position of the Duc superbikes feels more aggressive than their japanese counterparts mostly because of the angle of the handlebars ... I find that the Duc superbike handlebars are angled radically downward in comparison to the rest.

In my case, this puts tremendous amount of pressure on the outer-side of the wrists for regular street riding. I changed the clip-ons to those ones made by Fast by Ferracci. Although it does not raise the height, it relaxes the angle. This made a night-and-day difference for me.

The cost is a bit high at $250 (I feel it should be well under $200), but the quality is very good, and looks very nice in comparison to stock (for the polished version). Installation was easy with basic tools and took about 2 hours total (including setting-up and putting everything away).

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
One more thing to consider.... Keep the liter bike for the track, and ride the Duc on the twisties and for gatherings. ....If you wad up a Ducati you're looking at some huge deniro.

One thing about owning a Duc as I'm sure all will agree on the site is you'll get the attention. I love going for a hard ride then stopping at a coffee shop here in the wine country and talking to innocent bystanders about the MACHINE. Killer!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
migz123 said:
Just to add to the already good responses above ...

Perhaps I could be wrong, but I think that the riding position of the Duc superbikes feels more aggressive than their japanese counterparts mostly because of the angle of the handlebars ... I find that the Duc superbike handlebars are angled radically downward in comparison to the rest.

In my case, this puts tremendous amount of pressure on the outer-side of the wrists for regular street riding. I changed the clip-ons to those ones made by Fast by Ferracci. Although it does not raise the height, it relaxes the angle. This made a night-and-day difference for me.

Yeah I have to agree. The bars on the Ducati's seem lower with more weight on the wrists. Maybe a good reason why Ducks have such a narrow tank to grasp on to with your legs. I know this helps me take some of the pressure off the wrists.

Keith

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mahalo for the advice!

Howzit everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the information. I know now that I will go for the 999s. But now my better half says I have to get rid of my CBR to get the Ducati or wait a while then I can have both bikes. Hmmmmmmmmm have to ponder that cause having two is always better than having one..........bike. :)

Mahalo everyone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:cool: :D Dont do that, keep your cbr and get the 749s...i agree you should try a twin...i didnt and hoped onto my 749 from 600f4i...and i wasnt dissapointed but ididnt know what to expect...you have to learn how to appreciate and use the 999s engine type...so different...have you tried a twin? also go for the 749s because you get the suspension, the power, the look, and realistically unless you sell your cbr do you need two 1000's ...personally id keep the cbr 1000 for the road as its more comfurtable and buy the 749s for the track but id get used not new...thats just me :D

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
Wow, maybe the cost factor should be discussed. After having an excellent blend of bikes, 95 916 for goof off Saturday rides and get togethers and a 05 600RR for miles and the track. I really believed it was the right blend or power, looks and price. Since I wrecked the 600 I'm stuck with the one bike now. Not that I can't afford another one, its a deal I made with my wife after I almost killed myself. Personally, the Ducati is an impractical all around bike, you gotta have two bikes. One Ducati for show and tell and a rice rocket like a retired race bike for the track. Thats what I would do if I could do it over again. Retired race bikes are all over the place, ready to go and relatively cheap. All the goodies on them.

Recommendations in this thread to buy the "S" model over the base 999. OK, just shell out another 7 or 8 grand for Ohlins? Are you going to bang it hard at the track? I don't think so. In reality 9 out of 10 owners are going to ride it on a sunny Saturday and then park it. Some will shell out the extra dough for posing rights, hell, just change out the rear shock to an Ohlins and save yourself 5 - 7 grand. Put an Ohlins sticker on the front fork and now you have an "S" model.

I agree with Brian Davis on having the two machines, except in my case I had the Honda with a full system and PC. I'll tell you what, that 599cc machine pulled 996s and stayed even with a 99 R1. It was an awesome bike and you could flip it like it was nothing. All for 8K.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.