Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My issue is where i am now living its a dirt road to the house, although the road is ok its no good for a 999R. Because of this i am renting a shed in the nearest town 20kms away and the last time i went to go for a ride the battery was flat (first time ever).
The roads around here are very twisty and some sections are a bit rough on the 999R and a Hypermotard would be just the bike for the roads and also the dirt tracks, the dirt tracks are reguarly graded and wouldnt be a problem.
If i sell the 999R and buy a Hypermotard i can ride it straight to the house on the dirt track and wont have to rent the shed anymore.
If i keep the 999R and trailer it up to the house, every time i want to go for a ride i am going to load and unload the bike, i wonder how often that will happen when there is a Hypermotard there to just jump on an ride

For members that own both a Superbike & Hypermotard, how much do you ride your superbike now that you own a hypermotard?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
could you drive to the shed and ride from there rather than having to trailer back home?

when i read the subject of your post i thought both but try a streetfighter before you buy the hyper. now that i've read your post what about getting the hyper/street and decide in 6 months, don't rush into selling the R, it's not a good time to sell but either way if you're like me you'll regret it no matter how good an idea it seems at the time.

oh an post up some photos of the old and the new :)

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
My 999r is a garage queen and my Multistrada and Hypermotard get all the action. Lately I've been especially enamored with the Hypermotard but I'd never, ever consider selling the 999r. When I do ride her I realize what a special bike she is.

If you can afford both keep both!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Meh, I had a dirt road on a farm leading to the garage where my 748 was kept many moons ago... I never had any issues with a tiny bit of dust getting on the bike lol...

Personally, if you can afford a 999R, I'm sure you can afford to have the road graded and some packed gravel or whatever layed to control the dirt and give it some firmness.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
My 999r is a garage queen and my Multistrada and Hypermotard get all the action. Lately I've been especially enamored with the Hypermotard but I'd never, ever consider selling the 999r. When I do ride her I realize what a special bike she is.

If you can afford both keep both!
+1

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
999Rs suck on gravel roads. I know, having ridden the road to hell (or whatever was the name of that castle) a month ago during our yearly Motogiro.

Still has the mud on it, though. Just waiting for a good rainstorm to ride in to wash it all off (hate using pressure washers on it).

Taking it to the dentist on the the way to work tomorrow (no gravel), then the daily hour and a half thrash over lunch (today was the SS, so tomorrow the 999R, I like to keep things balanced).

Tom

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
There really isn't a down-side to the hypermotard unless your doing a lot of highway riding. I've not owned a hypermotard, but I've ridden one in almost every situation, including as a daily rider, so has my roomie. We both think its a stellar machine for 80% of all riding instances. Its only when you need a fairing for protection from wind, where the superbike makes sense. Plus, the hypermotard will run circles around your 999R... Unless of course you need to go 160mph in 12.5 seconds... LOL :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
whatever the R owners (Mike, John, ST, MV) just said....and include me in that bunch as well.

DO NOT sell the R!

but if you must......:(

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Add my name to the list. "DO NOT sell the R!
Here's a solution, ride the Hyper to the shed, leave it there and go enjoy the R, after you're done, park it back in the shed and ride the Hyper home!
What's the problem!?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
both!

If you can, definitely keep both! You can never have enough Ducs around!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Keep your R and buy a KTM 690 SMC for half the price. It'll kick the Hyper's ASS all day long, factory slipper, killer brakes, way lighter, better 'round town suspension and handling, and it's the wheelie KING of the road!

I've got one with BST's and my buddies on Hypers can't hang with it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Now that I own an "R" bike, I don't think I could ever own a non-R unless it was a 2nd bike. It's just that special to me. Keep the 999R and maybe look for a used HM. Heck, you could use it to ride to your 999R!

Or just deal with the gravel road. I've ridden my share of gravel, grooved, and crappy roads on my 999R and while it stinks, I know what lies ahead!

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
I don't ride my 748 so much anymore since I got a Hyper, but it's good to have around:), I'd miss having a Superbike to hop on, especially if it were an R!

Wind blast on the Hyper isn't that bad. If you got some muscles it ain't no thing. I rode mine 1500 miles in three days and was good to go. I found this thing called a gym and it makes me strong;)

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Even better Multistrada and 999. I wouldn't have it any other way...:D

After all the bikes I've been through, thats the combination that works for me as well. RENCRN8 and I are smart, can't you tell?

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Now that I own an "R" bike, I don't think I could ever own a non-R unless it was a 2nd bike. It's just that special to me. Keep the 999R and maybe look for a used HM. Heck, you could use it to ride to your 999R!

Or just deal with the gravel road. I've ridden my share of gravel, grooved, and crappy roads on my 999R and while it stinks, I know what lies ahead!
Its strange, but I didn't have the connection I have now with my 999R when I had the 999S. Not to knock them, I love the overall design, but its like Ducati treated the R bike differently during the build.

·
Registered
797 Posts
This Makes Real Sense

If you really want to have fun on a dirt track, keep the R, and buy something you CAN really have fun with in the dirt KTM 690 SMC, it will smoke the Duc Hyper, as something happens in the dirt, you fall down, and falling down on ANY Duc will cost more than any bike!!

Cheers,
M

Keep your R and buy a KTM 690 SMC for half the price. It'll kick the Hyper's ASS all day long, factory slipper, killer brakes, way lighter, better 'round town suspension and handling, and it's the wheelie KING of the road!

I've got one with BST's and my buddies on Hypers can't hang with it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts