Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently I am over ducati now that my tricolore was taken away from me for personal reasons. I was thinking about getting a used 05 999 but the maintenance is too expensive now that my parents are not baking me up financially. Over the year Ive had 3 ducatis and the one that I enjoyed the most was the 848. For some reason I dont find myself driving a japanese 600 because I weigh 200lbs which is a bit on the heavy side for a 600.

Now I think my next purchase is a triumph daytona 675. I wanted to ask some questions. Ive never ridden a 675 but I think it might be a lil bit more torquey. I dont know if I will get the same satisfaction I got from the L twins.

Oh and about price, I saw a 2006 675 with 6000 miles for 5,500obo.
Do you think thats fair?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Triumph 675

I have riden my brothers 2007 675 and it was awsome. I am 6'1" and 205. He is 6'2" and 195. He used it as a track bike for a 6 months before replacing it with a 1098. He could keep up with almost anyone in the fast group except on longer staights.

You can not go wrong with it. Buy one and be very happy.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Apparently I am over ducati now that my tricolore was taken away from me for personal reasons. I was thinking about getting a used 05 999 but the maintenance is too expensive now that my parents are not baking me up financially. Over the year Ive had 3 ducatis and the one that I enjoyed the most was the 848. For some reason I dont find myself driving a japanese 600 because I weigh 200lbs which is a bit on the heavy side for a 600.

Now I think my next purchase is a triumph daytona 675. I wanted to ask some questions. Ive never ridden a 675 but I think it might be a lil bit more torquey. I dont know if I will get the same satisfaction I got from the L twins.

Oh and about price, I saw a 2006 675 with 6000 miles for 5,500obo.
Do you think thats fair?

What are you baking dude.......:eek:

Wish my parents would have baked me a 1098........:D

Not sure it would fit in the oven though...........:)

O.k. thats enough.....just couldn't resist.......

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Your 'DADDY' took your bike, and you can't get a 999 because they won't pay for the upkeep?

Motorcycling is not kid shit dude. ESPECIALLY.....exotic motorcycling. Now, I applaude your attempt at continuing cycling, but, you need to earn your OWN way, buy and maintain your bike, and ride it at your desire. NO ONE else should have an input.

I apologize if that was gruff. But there's way too many of us on here who scratch and claw just to get that bike AND the ride time that goes with it.:rolleyes:

Good luck.:)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your 'DADDY' took your bike, and you can't get a 999 because they won't pay for the upkeep?

Motorcycling is not kid shit dude. ESPECIALLY.....exotic motorcycling. Now, I applaude your attempt at continuing cycling, but, you need to earn your OWN way, buy and maintain your bike, and ride it at your desire. NO ONE else should have an input.

I apologize if that was gruff. But there's way too many of us on here who scratch and claw just to get that bike AND the ride time that goes with it.:rolleyes:

Good luck.:)
I've been spoiled with that and now its time for me to pay in full. I am a college student who is very thankful for all the things my parents have been able to provide. I know this is not a kids sport and I need to be more mature but this shit is my life. I do whatever I can with it and I am looking for a cheaper ride. Could afford the ducati but I am not taking the risk since I work as a valet in a restaurant.

I was gonna get the streetfighter until I fucked up and my parents took my bike. Now its in Puerto Rico and my dad is taking care of it and he will give it back some day.

I think I am going to buy the triumph. I am pretty sure I will have fun. Its not gonna be the same but it still a badass bike.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have riden my brothers 2007 675 and it was awsome. I am 6'1" and 205. He is 6'2" and 195. He used it as a track bike for a 6 months before replacing it with a 1098. He could keep up with almost anyone in the fast group except on longer staights.

You can not go wrong with it. Buy one and be very happy.
thanks for the reply. Now its time to check whats gonna be my insurance and if its not incredibly high i am pretty sure I will buy it. Ive never had another street bike that wasnt ducati so I am kinda skeptical.

·
Premium Member
12,321 Posts
There is a story if you read between the lines...

Why don't you shake your head and swallow your pride ...

You know why Dad took it...there is a reason (none of my buisness don't really care to know) sounds like he is givin you a tune-up...

Get another job or two jobs...

I waited 20 years plus to get a Ducati...

Sometimes you got to fall on the sword...

Do what you GOTTA do...

I don't know you from ADAM but GROW UP

I apoligize if I was gruff

Take my advice I don't use it...

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Don't buy anything unless you've at least taken a seat on it to see how it feels. Test ride would be bonus. Anyone that says they're 200lbs may be outside the "all bikes fit you" size range. Just trying to make you careful with your $$. As for the 675, I've ridden one and it was quite small and underpowered compared to my 999 I had just gotten off of...fwiw.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanna ride really, right now I am going through some tough shit and I am looking for something to involve my mind again. Yeah I will swallow my pride because that has given me alot of problems in life. STILL! I manage to be an incredible person with a good heart. its cool. thanks for taking from your time to give me advice

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Ok, I can hear your sincerity. It sounds like, even at your young age, that at least you're willing to take a step BACK and start over. That has some merit. Trust me when I say this, you, and other younger type dudes, who have jumped on this bandwagon, have been watched since you've joined up here. You seem to be a decent guy with a good sense of humor and, at least a SENSE.....of maturity. I (we) don't really care to know what happened to your bike, or why it was taken from you. But I (we) DO care about you and we want you to have a good life. There's nothing like motorcycling. It's FREEDOM plain and simple. Take your time. Start cheap, if necessary. BUT MAKE IT YOURS........ON YOUR DIME.

Then build from there.

Peace.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I can hear your sincerity. It sounds like, even at your young age, that at least you're willing to take a step BACK and start over. That has some merit. Trust me when I say this, you, and other younger type dudes, who have jumped on this bandwagon, have been watched since you've joined up here. You seem to be a decent guy with a good sense of humor and, at least a SENSE.....of maturity. I (we) don't really care to know what happened to your bike, or why it was taken from you. But I (we) DO care about you and we want you to have a good life. There's nothing like motorcycling. It's FREEDOM plain and simple. Take your time. Start cheap, if necessary. BUT MAKE IT YOURS........ON YOUR DIME.

Then build from there.

Peace.
Thats a great message right there. I will probably be happier knowing that the bike is mine and that everything I do to it will be my hobby. Its also good that its cheaper since I can go track it and parts wont cost a fortune..

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I feel your pain, having your 1098 revoked must have been painful. Shit, I couldn't afford one of BMW's a few years back. I was forced to sell the best BMW I ever owned because of financial reasons.

But at the same time, I'm in agreement with some of the other members here on the forum. Most of the guys you see riding Ducati's either work their ass off to have the money or waited 20 years to buy one. If you're broke, Ducati's are the wrong way to be looking. My CBR600F2 cost me $2k and I put over 18,000 miles on it in a year. I probably changed the oil like 4 times, the thing just kept running, it was amazing! I had so much fun tooling around on that piece of shit, it was great. Would I ever go back to one right now? Nope... but if I was a kid who couldn't afford the Ducati service, I'd think about buying one again.

Tell ya one thing, I was given a 1989 Toyota Camary which was worth $1600 bux as a kid. I grew up driving in that sucker and once I had the personal finances to buy my own car, I was long out of college and my parents didn't send me a penny.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well yeah Ducati is not an option for me.

One thing I have to clarify.

Cultural differences.

I have noticed that when kids go to college in the US their parents pay for their dorm rooms and leave them alone to pay their other shit and take care of their business without guidance. For example I just ended a relationship with my first american girlfriend. WOW that girl had impressively different moral values and what a wreck!!! She was 23yo and didnt finish school and was working at a liquor store for a living. Her dad is one of the most wealthy doctors in atlanta and still she was by herself being a wreck. I had to induce sense into her so she could finish school. Now she is gone, I couldnt handle it anymore. Some people might disagree but where I come from the family holds on to their kid until he or she is a graduate with good grades and a good job.

Another thing is, and please dont get me wrong (I do not want to show off or seem up my ass), the family that I am lucky to belong has enough wealth to provide me with such things. Yeah you can call it a spoiled brat but I aint complaining about it and I am very grateful.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, I found out like MOST riders that I prefer to pay for my own things. Everything I have I WORKED FOR...I EARNED...nothing was given to me. Looking back, I am PROUD of myself & place alot higher value on my things. My wife had everything given to her growing up & I've noticed a few things...

Her things get disregarded, trashed, and not taken care of.
My things that are over 5 yrs old look like they were bought yesterday. I take pride in being anal about my things. ALL my things are in a certain place/way in the garage, everything is tidy, neat....

She places no value on anything, since she never had to work for it. If she breaks something, she expects replacement. She finds out the hard way often that I WILL NOT replace things that she doesn't take care of...a fluke accident, okay; neglect...pay for it yourself!

Some might say I'm a dick, don't care about her, etc....but they don't understand. Values are learned, not handed out. I would rather stand on my own two feet in this short life-than be taking handouts. I stopped suckling on the "tit" @ a young age & "I think" I am a better man for it. So to the OP, sorry to not feel sorry for you....Be a man, ride what you can afford, take care of it & it'll take care of you. Then, when you get the $ saved up, get the bike you've always wanted....
To expect to be coddled/spoiled past your high-school days is unrealistic. Grow up already.....& change the thread "Cannot afford Ducati anymore"....you never could...your parents did it for you!

Just my $.02....
What do I know, I'm just a dumb divorcee Army Medic guy with a house, truck, car, child support payments & 3 motorcycles...and everything is paid off!
;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
driving a motorcycle your parents bought for you fundamentally undermines Motorcycling as I see it. I can't imagine how it would be to ride a bike that is not truly yours, let alone mom and dads. Motorcycling is about making an investment into your own freedom, but if its subsidized it kind of misses the point.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well, I found out like MOST riders that I prefer to pay for my own things. Everything I have I WORKED FOR...I EARNED...nothing was given to me. Looking back, I am PROUD of myself & place alot higher value on my things. My wife had everything given to her growing up & I've noticed a few things...

Her things get disregarded, trashed, and not taken care of.
My things that are over 5 yrs old look like they were bought yesterday. I take pride in being anal about my things. ALL my things are in a certain place/way in the garage, everything is tidy, neat....

She places no value on anything, since she never had to work for it. If she breaks something, she expects replacement. She finds out the hard way often that I WILL NOT replace things that she doesn't take care of...a fluke accident, okay; neglect...pay for it yourself!

Some might say I'm a dick, don't care about her, etc....but they don't understand. Values are learned, not handed out. I would rather stand on my own two feet in this short life-than be taking handouts. I stopped suckling on the "tit" @ a young age & "I think" I am a better man for it. So to the OP, sorry to not feel sorry for you....Be a man, ride what you can afford, take care of it & it'll take care of you. Then, when you get the $ saved up, get the bike you've always wanted....
To expect to be coddled/spoiled past your high-school days is unrealistic. Grow up already.....

Just my $.02....
What do I know, I'm just a dumb divorcee Army Medic guy with a house, truck, car, child support payments & 3 motorcycles...and everything is paid off!
;)
I agree with most of your stuff. I just posted to hear opinions about the 675 compared to ducati but this shit always happens. Yeah I need to grow up and I know it. Ive worked for some things in my life and its true you dont appreciate until you work for it. my parents have given me everything I wanted all the time and sometimes I cant do anything else but feel guilty. The law in my family is as long as you are in school and we can afford it you dont have to pay for most things. I have a job guaranteed when I graduate and then back to my MBA which I hope to be out at 25. Still I work just not so much... I am done with this post. it wasnt done for people to feel sorry for me.

Thanks for the contribution guys I will grow up and get the bike I want.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
driving a motorcycle your parents bought for you fundamentally undermines Motorcycling as I see it. I can't imagine how it would be to ride a bike that is not truly yours, let alone mom and dads. Motorcycling is about making an investment into your own freedom, but if its subsidized it kind of misses the point.
Motorcycles were paid in cash and given to me as a gift. The tittle had my name not my parents

·
Registered
217 Posts
"2008 Monster S4Rs Tricolore #197/400 (daddy took it)"

- I love that parenthesis though....hilarious!

"my parents have given me everything I wanted all the time and sometimes I cant do anything else but feel guilty. The law in my family is as long as you are in school and we can afford it you dont have to pay for most things."

-Therein lies the problem....tell them "NO" or don't hint things that you want...By telling them, "I want that or I'ld love that", you are in essence asking them to buy you something. I'm wondering if mommy/daddy hasn't lined up that "job" that you have after college...I don't see an end to your issue of self-reliance @ your present rate.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts