Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,973 Posts
Did you see their top speed??? That would be too damn fun.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Thats incredible.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
One of my cars is a Mercedes S65 AMG. It has a twin turbo V12 and all of the top of line stuff from AMG and M-B. People ask me which of my cars would be the fastest for long trips and it's undoubtedly that car - over any of the Ferraris and all of my past cars. These guys did it right.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
My brother just sent me an email with the R&T web article about this. To save me from typing my thought all over again, here was my reply to him (and our brother in law):

"I saw this posted somewhere yesterday. It's neat from a few standpoints. Obviously, it was a fast trip. I assumed they used GPS and maybe Waze and radar/laser detector(s). But, I didn't read anything beyond the headline. I just finished reading it now. Rant coming (yeah, surprised, aren't you?).

Ffs, three of us drove a '93 E350 from Long Beach (the arena) to Hilliard; 2285 miles, give or take (CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, KS, MO, IL, IN, OH) in 27 and a bit hours. The van was limited to 95mph but, we averaged over 83 mph by my math.

No 'scout' vehicles, no GPS, no WAZE/traffic/speed trap apps (no cell phones, actually), no radar/laser detector, no "gyro-stabilized binoculars" (what in the entire fuck?!?), no extra large 'fuel cell', and on and on. We had nothing but a paper atlas to find detours on the fly (none needed as I recall) and an envelope with cash to pay for the gas. The van would go about 500 miles to a tank. So, we set the cruise for 94 mph (limiter would shut off the cruise) and go until empty. One guy fills the tank, one guy takes a leak, one gets a snack. Rotate around until everyone got their piss/snack/fueling turn. Take off and repeat. Gotta piss before empty? Use a bottle, we ain't stopping. Since we had worked all day at the race, eventually, we all couldn't drive our full stints. So, change drivers on the fly; no stopping. We hit snow in the mountains in CO so, that slowed us a lot. Once we got to MO, we started seeing cops too often to run at top speed continuously.

So, as neat and interesting as this is, I am left distinctly unimpressed and disinterested. I won't say how they pulled it off is lame. But, it was kind of lame."

Since that reply, I also considered how much time would be gained just from the difference in acceleration. The van likely took as long to get to 60 as the MB needs to reach 160. That also makes picking/taking empty spots in traffic child's play compared to the van.

I guess I'm more interested in the fact that there are still people willing to do such things than the actual time outcome. For me, it's a forgone conclusion that nearly any half-sporty current model car will be able to make the run faster than ANY car from the first running. Better acceleration, nearly the same top speed, far better fuel economy, near 100% reliability, better tires, better brakes, more comfortable.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
it does make me want to make a cross country trip though......

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Gary Eagen, who started the ST Madness Group year ago was all set to try and set a motorcycle record on the cannonball run. He had done a few successful iron butt runs on Ducatis. I think it was in 2007. He got a 1098 and put fuel cells on the back of it. I saw pictures of it. But I think there was bad publicity that year about an event that sanctioned speeding and the race was cancelled.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I read this dudes book, pretty cool to see what's all involved in trying to do this. Quick fun read. If anyone else has any books about dudes who do shit like this you can recommend would be cool!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts