Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm reassembling my '02 ST4s, and I'm a little stumped by the "cannister" hoses on the bottom of the fuel tank.

The service manual shows the right side connection ending near the radiator, and the left side attaching to some device that is not on my bike. (I'm the third owner, I assume it was removed for performance issues).

I'm pretty sure the left side hose was not attached since I've owned it, and am at a loss as to where the right side connects.

So the question is: What happens if neither the left nor right side cannister hoses are connected?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. I was really hoping for one of those solutions where you don't have to to anything!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also, make sure that the throttle bodies are plugged where the vacuum lines led to the charcoal canister. On the OEM setup, vacuum line runs from the a port on the base of each vacuum line and joins in a "T" connector then runs to a port on the vacuum canister. The purpose is for the canister to absorb/store any gas vapors, then the vacuum lines would suck those vapors into the intake mixture upon running the engine.
The ports could be plugged with a short 6mm bolt, or the lines comming off the ports could be plugged. If they are not plugged, then you would have a vacuum leak.

Good luck,

·
Registered
887 Posts
The service manual shows the right side connection ending near the radiator, and the left side attaching to some device that is not on my bike. (I'm the third owner, I assume it was removed for performance issues).
As a side note, the cannister (if installed) does not reduce engine performance. All it does is control the flow of air in/out of the tank. The cannister has two pressure sensitive valves which do not allow air to go into or out of the tank until a certain pressure differential is reached. This reduces or eliminates the breathing that naturally happens when a partially filled tank with an open breather experiences temperature changes. Tank breathing contributes to condensation in the tank which can cause rust that was such a big problem on motorcycles in the days before evaporative emmisions systems were installed.

There are no CA versions, all USA models are the same and meet requirements for all 50 states.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tank breathing contributes to condensation in the tank which can cause rust that was such a big problem on motorcycles in the days before evaporative emmisions systems were installed.
Yikes...that's a good thing to know.

Happily, the previous owner did indeed plug the intakes at the manifold. For some reason he completely removed the hose from the tank to the canister. I'm going to "y" them together today.

This was the very last issue (knock wood) I had swapping out my broken frame for a new one! Took about three months, working at night after the kids go to bed. Wasn't too hard, but hit a few roadbumps along the way.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Still needs a life.
12,398 Posts
This was the very last issue (knock wood) I had swapping out my broken frame for a new one! Took about three months, working at night after the kids go to bed. Wasn't too hard, but hit a few roadbumps along the way.

Thanks for the advice!
The frame swap would make a good thread by itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Frame replacement....

My '02 ST4s will require frame straightening and case repair and thus complete dis-assembly.....and re-assembly....Would be interested in your experiences. Had to make the bike road legal to get it Titled in CA.....wanted to make sure I could get it titled before I disassembled etc, etc. It came with missing Title history. I know you will enjoy the heck out of it now that it is nearing completion....enjoyed mine alot even in its slightly tweaked state...

Congrats...
Chris

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My '02 ST4s will require frame straightening and case repair and thus complete dis-assembly.....and re-assembly....Would be interested in your experiences. Had to make the bike road legal to get it Titled in CA.....wanted to make sure I could get it titled before I disassembled etc, etc. It came with missing Title history. I know you will enjoy the heck out of it now that it is nearing completion....enjoyed mine alot even in its slightly tweaked state...

Congrats...
Chris
Thanks Chris,

It's up and running and back on duty as my commute bike…my 1980 Boxer was getting really tired of the daily 50 mile trips. Great to have a bike with real brakes, and I had forgotten what a 6th gear felt like!

I'm going to make a thread soon about my experience...which was pretty positive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
so if I plug the manifold ports and run the tank hose down below the motor i can lose the cannister? should I put a one way check valve in so I dont get air travelling back up the hose to the tank? or not worry about it? I live in Virginia and we see lots of rain/humidity so rust is a scarry reality for me. But I am thinking about losing a few things and relocating a few others to clean up the bike so I can run it with out fairings so I gotta do SOMETHING with that cannister.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts