Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to order some parts online from Ducati Omaha. I suggested that they ship by any means other than UPS (for those non- Canadians reading this- there is a long-standing issue with UPS showing up at the door with extra charges they didn't disclose to the shipper ahead of time). Ducati Omaha says: Sorry, won't help you. Get your parts elsewhere. Seems they're UPS whipped and nobody at Ducati Omaha is prepared to make any effort to accommodate a customer. I was nice, I asked three times. I of course offered to pay whatever it cost up front. I was invited to take my business elsewhere. They I guess they have enough business. Its too bad when a retailer forgets who pays the bills and customers get in the way. Even when confronted with the issue of conntributing to the Ducati community and giving them an opportunity to do something for a guy with six Ducatis in the garage, they told me they have lots of awards from DNA and don't have to accommodate individuals like me. Too bad. I wouldn't recommend Ducati Omaha. I will shop elsewhere. I recommend you do the same too- because in my opinion, this company is prepared to take your money as long as they don't have to actually make any effort to satisfy your needs.

Sheldon

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow, that's to bad. Sorry to hear that. In this economy, you think they would make an effort but I guess not.

I wanted to order some parts online from Ducati Omaha. I suggested that they ship by any means other than UPS (for those non- Canadians reading this- there is a long-standing issue with UPS showing up at the door with extra charges they didn't disclose to the shipper ahead of time). Ducati Omaha says: Sorry, won't help you. Get your parts elsewhere. Seems they're UPS whipped and nobody at Ducati Omaha is prepared to make any effort to accommodate a customer. I was nice, I asked three times. I of course offered to pay whatever it cost up front. I was invited to take my business elsewhere. They I guess they have enough business. Its too bad when a retailer forgets who pays the bills and customers get in the way. Even when confronted with the issue of conntributing to the Ducati community and giving them an opportunity to do something for a guy with six Ducatis in the garage, they told me they have lots of awards from DNA and don't have to accommodate individuals like me. Too bad. I wouldn't recommend Ducati Omaha. I will shop elsewhere. I recommend you do the same too- because in my opinion, this company is prepared to take your money as long as they don't have to actually make any effort to satisfy your needs.

Sheldon

·
comrade moderator
26,825 Posts
Perhaps they can't sell you parts, as per Ducati N.A.? Aren't there any Ducati dealers in Canada (I assume that's where you are as you haven't filled out your profile)?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Too bad...

Might give Aldrin at Commonwealth Moto a call:

502-568-2666

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
So you're saying that going Fed-ex or USPS would be substantially cheaper than UPS?

To be devil's advocate, I can't help but wonder if there is something we're missing here. How much in parts were you ordering? If it was around a grand or more, than hell yeah they should accomodate you. But if it was like, $30 in parts, then understandly it would cost too much money to send an employee out to Fedex or USPS or something.

What were you ordering?

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
I don't know about parts, but Ducati dealers in the US are forbidden by DNA to sell new Ducatis to Canadians. I know from past experience it can be very expensive to send things via FedEx to Canada. It may not be a long distance, but that international border presents other issues.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That sucks that the border has to get in the way. I'm sure there are dealers in Canada who would be willing to sell and ship to you with no surprises.

You may want to look into filling out your profile though. Just a thought.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Sheldon - look at the additional charges you got. Were they customs charges or brokerage fees. Those are unavoidable and have nothing to do with the vendor -they have to do with canada customs.

I am still waiting for my speedcell SBK batteries from one of the vendors here. It is held up in customs and has been there for over a week. Not Motowheel's fault. I also expect a duty ding when it gets delivered.

I understand your frustration but it is the nature of the game up in the Great White North when we want to shop across the line.

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
I'd be interested to see the actual dialogue. Was it exactly as you stated in the original post?

For the record, I've had nothing but good dealings with Omaha's mail order.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
In my experience, getting stuff sent via USPS is MUCH cheaper in additional charges than by UPS. So, either I get stuff sent via USPS, or I get it sent to one of my sisters in the US and they forward it to me.

International via UPS is BS!

Tom

·
Registered
224 Posts
If it was around a grand or more, than hell yeah they should accomodate you. But if it was like, $30 in parts, then understandly it would cost too much money to send an employee out to Fedex or USPS or something.
FWIW, I believe they both pick up.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Maybe you should buy from a Canadian dealer since that's where you live. I've bought a lot of parts from Ducati Omaha and they were great to deal with and they have a fantastic online ording setup. But, of course, I live in the same country.

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
I've had great dealings with Ducati Omaha through service on site and mail order. They're top notch in my book.

They had free Red Bull too (in store only :).

·
Registered
21 Posts
duty and brokerage

So, out of curiousity,

If you bought something from a private person, are you still subject to the same taxes?

If I send someone in Canada a part, are they going to have to pick it up after paying some sort of tax fee's?
Yes, if you are selling it. If you claim "gift" on the customs papers, then no. When I worked for a dealer doing online sales, we had the same problem, especially with UPS. Canadian customers would request we mark the merchandise "gift" to avoid customs charges, which we would not do. Who needs customs on your ass, whatever the amount of the sale?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ok, they only ship UPS to Canada, so what?

Either use them or dont use them, but please....... make a choice and quit whining

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Yes, if you are selling it. If you claim "gift" on the customs papers, then no. When I worked for a dealer doing online sales, we had the same problem, especially with UPS. Canadian customers would request we mark the merchandise "gift" to avoid customs charges, which we would not do. Who needs customs on your ass, whatever the amount of the sale?

Interesting.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
You know what's funny about this...

I have imported plenty of parts from Italy directly without going through DNA. For the most part, you just have to worry about the Duty, and usually the courier will take care of that.

But, if you do want to find out what is considered for tariff, have a look at the Harmonized tariff database sometime. It's a mess to deal with, and still requires clarification in some instances.

That being said, and what's funny, is that except for a very small list, NAFTA makes North America one big f'in free trade zone. Considering that the parts come from Italy, maybe there is a difference in duty between the US and Canada for Italian parts, but I would rather think not.

If you are getting lip from dealers and DNA and the courier slaps you with surcharges, I would take it up with your MP that they aren't being NAFTA friendly.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Perhaps they can't sell you parts, as per Ducati N.A.? Aren't there any Ducati dealers in Canada (I assume that's where you are as you haven't filled out your profile)?
They can. I have dealt with Ducati dealerships in the USA without issue.

So you're saying that going Fed-ex or USPS would be substantially cheaper than UPS?
UPS' bill for bullshit charges often brings the cost of shipping well above the cost of the items shipped. USPS and FedEx are far better solutions with USPS being my personal choice.

I don't know about parts, but Ducati dealers in the US are forbidden by DNA to sell new Ducatis to Canadians. I know from past experience it can be very expensive to send things via FedEx to Canada. It may not be a long distance, but that international border presents other issues.
Not true. I haven't had an issue in the past from Ducati.

Maybe you should buy from a Canadian dealer since that's where you live. I've bought a lot of parts from Ducati Omaha and they were great to deal with and they have a fantastic online ording setup. But, of course, I live in the same country.
Ducati NA resells in Canada at more than a 50% markup over importing yourself from the USA. The same goes for Parts Unlimited. It'd ridiculous; even Hindle, which is Canadian, is cheaper for me to buy out of California and ship back to Canada than to buy from Hindle directly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.