Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again all.
I saw what looked like an ex-race 748 today that the current owner did not have any history on. it looked like it may have had a 996 swap at some point (it had what looked like recycling yard grease pencil notes on the cases: date, stock number and "996") on it. I know that this is not an uncommon swap but do not have enough knowledge to be able to identify one from the other. Is there any reliable method? if so is there a way to tell what the engine came from (super bike vs st vs monster s4)? I didn't pick up the bike as it was a little (actually a lot) too far gone for what I would want out of it but am interested in the information none the less.
thanks as always
-m

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
engine number.

996 has smaller exhaust rocker covers and lower head section over the exhaust port without the "desmo 4v dohc" cast into it.

·
Registered
current Ducatis '00 748s, 93 900ss
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
engine number.

996 has smaller exhaust rocker covers and lower head section over the exhaust port without the "desmo 4v dohc" cast into it.
belter-
is the engine number decipherable or is it something that needs to be verified?
thanks for the response
-m

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
the american engine numbers are codes for whatever bureaucratic reason, but the manuals tends to give you the meaning. the euro ones are obvious.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Engine number prefix in the US are:
SB3 for 748
SB8 for 916
SB5 for 996

Reactions: TNR

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
As far as quick visual, if it's not an "S" model, the base 748 doesn't have an adjustable steering head so there's only one mounting hole for the damper. Very easy to tell at a glance, no matter how modified for racing it is.

Also, the VIN can tell you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts