Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can you put 1098 wheels on a 998???

Also has any one put a set of bst Mamba's on a 916-998??? please post some pic's if you have any!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hello,

Can you put 1098 wheels on a 998???
The axle nut size on the 1098 is much bigger (55mm up from 46 mm) so unless you can also fit a new hub and axle to the 998 this is not going to happen.

I don't know if anyone makes a cross over.

Andrew...

PS I have seen BST wheels on a Multistrada and they were nice (no pictures though).

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
848 rear wheels fit. If you're going to replace the front with the same, why not just upgrade the suspension too. Get a set of forks, calipers, rotors and axle but depending on the kind of forks you use you may need to get a new lower triple.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have 1098s rims, with about 600km on them, plus front axle which I replaced with titanium (I think you'd need to replace the lower part of the stanchion?) and all the rotors plus the rear caliper if you find this works for you (I can't say if it will, dunno, rely on better wisdom of the board for sure).

PM me if it seems doable I'll give it to you cheap, just wanna recoup a bit here...

To be honest you'd probably be better off getting an entire front end, I'd think...

Shawn

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Question on the rotors...what is the offset on the 996/998 bikes? Are the axles the same dimensions?
748-998 has 6 bolt, 10mm offset rotors and a different center bore size.

Axle diamter is the same--but the spacing on the axles of the 748-998 / 749-999 and 848-1198 are all different.

The offset of the 749-999 and 848-1198 forks are spaced out 5mm more on each side.

-M

·
Registered
331 Posts
748-998 has 6 bolt, 10mm offset rotors and a different center bore size.

Axle diamter is the same--but the spacing on the axles of the 748-998 / 749-999 and 848-1198 are all different.

The offset of the 749-999 and 848-1198 forks are spaced out 5mm more on each side.

-M
Thanks for the info...now comes the next logical (at least in my mind) question. Is a fork swap required, or is it only the axle, to run the later wheel? I can only guess that the axle spacing your are referring to is for the speedo drive on the early bikes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, I'm still putting together some ideas for my 998 build, and now i know i can run a pair of 848-1098 wheels that keeps some options open!

When it comes down to the wheels, i would like to go all out with a set of BST Mambas, or the standard BST spoke style, but i will still would like to see what a set of Mambas would look like on a 916-998?

But the newer style stock wheels don't look bad either?

Anyone know the weight of the new stock wheels?

Are they any lighter than the older stock wheels my 02 998 has?

Here is a pic of my 998 just thought i would share with you guy's!!!

To Mamba are not to Mamba?????? let me know what you guy's think???

Moto, thank for the help "spot on"

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O.K. one more question, on the 998 series bikes what is the stock rear wheel size 5.75" or 6"???

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the Mamba's would look sick on a 998!!!!! very sick!!!

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
We just put the 7 spoke Mambas on our MV:

I think they look better than the 5 spokes

I think the Streetfighter looks better with Mambas too:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts