Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read alot about the motorcycle thefts lately on Japanese bikes, due to the Ducati ECU deal, can this be done with this bike?

Just curious, I have the brake lock, but wondering bout a key lock.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Yes your bikes can be stolen, I don't think your 99 and 00 bikes came with a built in immobilizer. I think Ducati brought in the immobilizer in 04 on some bikes.

Definitely use a disc lock or two. I like to use a hidden switch on my bikes so even if they bypass the ignition it still won't start.

A common trick the thieves will use on SS ducati's is to bypass the stock switch with one of their own. The ignition plug is easily accessible on the SS so they just reach in and unplug your ignition and plug in their own keyed ignition. Starter up a go (assuming the steering lock is not activated, which is easily broken with a screwdriver).

No I'm not a thief, worked part time in a shop that did allot of theft repairs for the local insurance corp.

The other common trick I often saw was the disk lock still attached to the rotor, but the 5 or 6 rotor bolts removed so they could easily roll the bike into the truck. All the thief has to carry is a 6mm allen socket and wrench. That is why I always put my disc lock on the rear sprocket, much harder to remove.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts