Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Canyon Commuter
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.
I have a damaged fairing for an ST2 that I am looking for some opinions as to whether it can be fixed or not. I am trying to decide if it is worth the cost/time/effort to fix this, or buy a new one (there are several on ebay) and get it painted.
Thanks

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
I would think that the front top corner is mostly obscured by the nose fairing, so the part that shows could be repaired and prepped for painted. The big chunk missing around the hot air conductor would not be easy, given as you'd have to build something to fill it in. If you had another bad fairing, you might be able to saw out a chunk that you could graft to yours, then prep and paint. Without one, looks tough.

pg
DD

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Wall art. Hang it in your garage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a similar experience on my side fairing with a lay down at a stop. The area where you are missing a big chunk for me was not as bad, but still not good. Up here in the Seattle area I did some poking around, I think on this very forum, and found the guy that the local Ducati dealer uses (not going thru the dealer). It came out PERFECT, better than OEM. Made all my other panels pale in comparison :) Anything is fixable, just matters how much you want to spend. My bill was around $350. At the very least, find a painter/body man that deals with motorcycles (ie, plastic) and get a quote. Let me know if you want me to dig up the contact info for my guy. He quoted thru email and pics.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Pardon my ignorance - are these plastic or fiberglas? It'd be worth checking with a shop that does marine work - we have local guys who do repairs on sailboats that get damaged when we race, and they can make ANYTHING look new. Good car resto people should also be able to do good work of this sort.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
They are plastic.

I've been putting off a repair on my left fairing for a bit tooooo long. Just a couple cracks, but. . .

Have a good one.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I guess it depends on what your skills set is and or what you want to spend. I know I could fix it, but I'm cheap and have been doing my own body work, plastic welding and fiberglass repair on bikes and my cars for years. The piece that was cracked could be plastic welded with a soldering iron and some plastic welding rods from harbor freight for less that $10. On the other piece, I agree with the member who said fiberglass repair could be a good option, but only if a part is not subject to much flex. If there's too much flex, the two differing materials may crack and separate if not reinforced properly. Between the two repairs, having paint custom matched & done may be the most expensive part of a do it yourself job.

If you want to have the work done professionally, try getting an estimate from one of the auto bumper repair franchises; sometimes their prices are pretty reasonable compared to regular body shops or professional bike painters.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It can be easly fixed with a product called Rubbn'Repair. Found this stuff few years back and ever since I've not touched the plastic welder again. Cut a patch to extend about 1/2 inch (13mm) on all sides heat in a toaster oven or other hot box. fold and work it in while hot once it cools its there practicaly for life and then you can add a fix on the outside either bondo or liquid plastic (devcon etc) Works great on back side to stop cracks from spreading no need to drill stop holes.

Rubbn'Repair

·
Registered
218 Posts
When ever I remove my fairings I inspect them for spider cracks usually caused by over tightening the wellnuts. I repair the cracks on the back side with two part JB weld so they don't keep spreading. This method seems to work well for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts