Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this little black piece at the rear axle can be removed along with the bolts so I can make it less fugly - I wanna mimic the slipper there, looks-wise, but I think the painter just taped over it. I don't wanna pull it apart unknowingly in case there's stuff in there that poke me eye out when I undo the last bolt...:)

I emailed Dymag but in my experience they NEVER get back to you...like ever.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
if you are talking about the black ring on the wheel, around the axle.
My guess it's that it's a integral part of the structure; reinforcement.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you are talking about the black ring on the wheel, around the axle.
My guess it's that it's a integral part of the structure; reinforcement.
That's my guess too - it looks like 'you shouldn't remove this part'.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then paint the bolts gold... ;)

I really don't think you can remove that part.
Yep...there's a post in the last bit on colour matches, so I ordered some red for the inevitable rim chips and a bunch of the 1098R gold rim paint for stuff like those bolts and the aluminum rear subframe I bought:)

I agree, it looks like it's not meant to be removed...

·
Registered
328 Posts
you could always take it off then go for a top speed run to see if it was vital..

:eek:

just joking, I say just paint it to match, or get one of those quick change thingies they look a lot better.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
i gotta ask why would you paint a carbon wheel,and then why only the rear.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i gotta ask why would you paint a carbon wheel,and then why only the rear.
Cuz I like the look of it and I wanted carbon for the weight reduction. I left the front one carbon-looking for the Ducati-Harley carbon-chrome guys:)

And if you look, it flows. The back top is black down to the front bottom. The back bottom is red up to the front top.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Dymag Rear Wheel

When i ordered my carbon dymag wheels i wanted the rear magnesium
hub black which they did and i wanted gold plated titanium screws
for the plate you mention and they told me that they have to be put in
at manufacture as it is all bonded together.
As i was just going to unscrew them and fit the titanium screws myself .

brian.

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When i ordered my carbon dymag wheels i wanted the rear magnesium
hub black which they did and i wanted gold plated titanium screws
for the plate you mention and they told me that they have to be put in
at manufacture as it is all bonded together.
As i was just going to unscrew them and fit the titanium screws myself .

brian.
Good to know for certain. Thanks, glad I didn't just try to do it myself. I guess I'll have to rely on paint at this stage.

Shawn

·
Registered
481 Posts
Shawn,

Your bike is coming along really well, it just looks awesome.

As for that black ring around the rear wheel hub, I would not remove it, as posted above, but I don't think I would paint it red, as I kind of like the contrast, but maybe a grey/ti color that matches the hub of the EVR slipper, or just a nicer gloss black.

Anyways just trying to throw a few ideas out there.

Keep her comin!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shawn,

Your bike is coming along really well, it just looks awesome.

As for that black ring around the rear wheel hub, I would not remove it, as posted above, but I don't think I would paint it red, as I kind of like the contrast, but maybe a grey/ti color that matches the hub of the EVR slipper, or just a nicer gloss black.

Anyways just trying to throw a few ideas out there.

Keep her comin!
Thanks man. Yeah, that's the plan, kinda. Mimic the slipper to a degree. I ordered a bunch of colorrite materials, most importantly the 1098R gold rim colour, to add a bit of that here and there (subframe, bolts on the Dymag, that sort of thing. Nothing obnoxious, just tasteful hopefully).

The main black area of the Dymag there I'll leave black, but want a closer black to the slipper, which is not grey at all and looks nice.

Time to get out the Fine Line tape:)

Thanks again for the phone last night, the bar ends went on perfectly!

Shawn

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you could always take it off then go for a top speed run to see if it was vital..

:eek:

just joking, I say just paint it to match, or get one of those quick change thingies they look a lot better.
What quick change thingies? That sounds good!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problemo,

I just hope I'll see you and the bike at Indy this year.
Do I need to book tickets? I will if I need to and that solidify me coming. Also ChrisRam said I should come down for tuning/Nemesis stuff to someone he trusts so that would be a good excuse to take 7 days off work!!! I haven't had a vacation since my mom died...that was like June last year...

I dunno if I should enter this in any contests though, til I have replaced every visible bolt with Ti, and removed the fart stains off the seat from when I go "oh boy"...and waxed her!

I can't wait to get the 1-under front/1-over rear done, it'll make a HUGE difference in the ride...

J/K...

·
Registered
481 Posts
I can't wait to get the 1-under front/1-over rear done, it'll make a HUGE difference in the ride...
That would be a straight wheelie machine, the stunters would be jealous.

As for Indy, DucatiUSA has a package deal where you get your ticket, parking in Ducati island, Ducati grandstand passes, t-shirts, parade lap, etc.. I think its about $200 on there site, just make sure you bring those hot foreign chicks you were talking about (I'm sure they'd play well with Amy :D).

Also, as if you need any more ideas...

I put some beautifully trick looking Red FrenTubo brake lines with black fittings on the bike today... so trick.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

- Randy

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Cuz I like the look of it and I wanted carbon for the weight reduction. I left the front one carbon-looking for the Ducati-Harley carbon-chrome guys:)

And if you look, it flows. The back top is black down to the front bottom. The back bottom is red up to the front top.
You should get the carbon belly pan and paint half red so the carbon is even with the carbon piece under the seat.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That would be a straight wheelie machine, the stunters would be jealous.

As for Indy, DucatiUSA has a package deal where you get your ticket, parking in Ducati island, Ducati grandstand passes, t-shirts, parade lap, etc.. I think its about $200 on there site, just make sure you bring those hot foreign chicks you were talking about (I'm sure they'd play well with Amy :D).

Also, as if you need any more ideas...

I put some beautifully trick looking Red FrenTubo brake lines with black fittings on the bike today... so trick.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

- Randy
I'm definitely NOT into wheelies LOL. They happen of course, but I don't really do them for show. Maybe I'll stick to the 1-under front for now and keep the gearing stock in the rear...nice thing is I can play with the 3 Alth sprockets:)

Might be a plan for me to see if anyone else in Toronto is planning on going, but one way or the other I'll check with DNA or even my Dealer might have something to offer.

Lines/cables/etc. are my next project area, along with bolts/nuts...so I'll take a look at the FrenTubo stuff - thanks man!

DPG - I know SOMETHING needs to happen there, I'm just feeling it out and want to repaint the bike in the winter - basically stock but with a much brighter red...so I'll get belly pan and/or sides and do a slight amount of line-tuning, so to speak, from there. I don't want to lose a lot of red or make any racy-looking lines, though...so it's a challenge:)

Carbon is strange stuff to me. In pics I'm like "OK I can lose that, no problem" but then looking at the bike I'm like "man that would be a shame". So...

Shawn

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It just boggles the mind LOL..
I get that a lot in life, generally. I think people consider me occasionally mind boggling LOL.

I like bold, simple lines. Randy was equally confounded and actually asked me several times before shipping it for paint, 'are you SURE you don't want to keep some of the carbon exposed' etc., but I'm glad I did it this way, it's a simple, easy to comprehend statement the way I did it...but again, taste is a very personal thing...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts