Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fitting a '94 900ss set of forks on a '04 Honda 599. I have sourced most of the parts, swapped the steering stem from the Honda onto the Ducati triples, and I am starting to start initial assembly.

I have a wheel from a '93 and a 17mm axle but I do not have the speedo sensor. I will be installing an aftermarket instrument cluster so I won't be needing the sensor but I need to have a new spacer machined to replace it.

Can someone let me know the width of the speedo sensor? Or point me to a thread that can help me out?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I've done similar operations, all you need is to offer it up and take some measurements of what you have to work with. Since you are going to take out the part that connects with the speedo, the washer with the two tabs, the measurement you are asking for won't cover the whole distance to the bearing. What you need is the distance from the wheel bearing to the shoulder of the left leg axle insert. It doesn't have to be tight to the axle, but it must mesh with the leg insert and the wheel bearing face. Might get a large washer to cover the wheel bearing to make it easier just to match only the insert.

Put the wheel in with the axle, shove the wheel all the way to the right side and mildly tighten the two bolts clamping the axle insert on the left leg so it holds when you tighten the axle. Screw in the axle until its outside edge is almost flush with the fork and then measure the gap on the other side remaining. Cut it, try it out, file down a little more and try again. The axle will not protrude from the right side when tight when you have it right.

Once you tighten the axle it will take up any tiny amount of slack if you filed too much off.

The measurement you asked for is approximately 23mm on my 95 SS with the 21mm axle. My 91 with a 17mm axle is approximately the same, so your spacer should end up being just a bit longer than that. Might try to measure the distance between the forks a few inches up from the bottom, my caliper could not with the discs mounted, but the pair of triple clamps should hold everything parallel I would think.

If you are not using the matching Brembo brake calipers, wheel and and rotors you may be in for a long night trying to match it all up! And if you don't do it right it can kill you~!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. Exactly the info I needed.

As for the rotors and calipers. I tried to get all the matching parts but we will see...there may be some stuff for sale on here cheap in a couple of weeks. :)

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Glad to help

...now that I presented at least the basic bonafides, why didn't you modify it with CBR F3 parts in the front end? The bike called the Hornet in Europe has a strong following of tuners. It really is a stripper CBR 600F3 anyway, (401lbs new), and as one of the last non-fuel injected models from Honda your post caught my eye,... I want pics

So if you make the spacer, get some good metal and I am not saying you need an expensive machine shop, but no Home Depot PVC stuff. Cut a good piece of metal close enough and keep grinding it down until it fits right between the left leg fork insert and the wheel bearing or washer. No fancy tools or machine shop needed for this. I've done this on the side of the road in the rain after my girl brought me a spare wheel when I hit a landslide rock the size of a helmet which split my front wheel in two throwing me five feet in the air. The CBR wheel she brought was all I had and I had to make it fit to get 200 miles back home. I cut down the bicycle seat post given from the old farmer just down the road that put me up for the night when I got stranded. All I did later was clean it up shiny and rode with it for ten more years and 80,000 miles. Honda.

Some racer can speak up here but I like thin wall CroMoly tubing which you can shop around for at used bicycle shops or Goodwill that sell crappy used bikes - look for the seat post. And yes, a whole bicycle frame of CroMo 4130, or Reynolds 7xx for 50 cents will allow you to cut a spacer out of of tube. Sure, you can use a high quality aluminum 7015,etc, seat post for your spacer instead of CroMO, might cost five bucks instead of 50 cents. You are working with a 17mm diameter axle? So take the axle or a micrometer with you to shop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...why didn't you modify it with CBR F3 parts in the front end? The bike called the Hornet in Europe has a strong following of tuners. It really is a stripper CBR 600F3 anyway, (401lbs new), and as one of the last non-fuel injected models from Honda your post caught my eye,...
Mostly aesthetics...I saw the combination on another build and loved it. Seemed like something that would be satisfying to try.

I want pics
I'll snap a few pics once I get the forks fitted up.

...Cut a good piece of metal close enough and keep grinding it down until it fits right between the left leg fork insert and the wheel bearing or washer. ...You are working with a 17mm diameter axle? So take the axle or a micrometer with you to shop.
How close to 17mm should the ID of the spacer be? I have the old spacer from the Honda or the old fork insert that I replaced on the Ducati forks. Both of them look like they could be cut down to fit but they have 20mm ID's. Every wheel spacer I have dealt with in the past has had no significant gap between the axle and the spacer. In your opinion do they need to be closer fit?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
The wheel bearings and the speedo have to have a tight fit around the axle, a spacer does not. Take a measure of the insert OD in the left fork leg - that is the limits of the diameter of the spacer because I think the wheel bearing surface (or the washer you place over it) will be larger. The tighter the fit, the easier it will be to put on because once the axle is tightened down it won't/can't move anywhere. 20mm ID might just work especially as the metal was chosen for a spacer to begin with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts