Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my continuing quest to address my idling, popping, and stalling issues with my GT1000 I've decided to move onto more drastic measures. My bike dies if I throttle down too fast and it won't even stay on unless it's over 180f. It's becoming an increasing pain to ride...

I bought the bike basically stock with a Fat Duc race line addition. I've played with the race line a few times and even had the dealer do a TPS reset when I had the tank replaced. The problem has just gotten worse over time. The bike runs rich, I'm seriously only getting 24 miles to the gallon right now.

So... after doing some research, I've found that most people who have this problem do an ECU swap (or mod?) which fixes everything. I, however, am completely unfamiliar with the process or even what options exist. That, coupled with the age of the bike, really limits me on what is even available or still in production to buy. Additionally, I've read about the Euro ECU and asked my dealer to see about changing it out... he said no.

The community has been great, any input here would be appreciated. My wallet is getting thin so I'm really just looking for the cheapest solution to address my symptoms and not an increase in horse power, speed, etc. Bonus points for finding a solution I can do by myself and not have a dealer get involved... considering they've done nothing but nickle and dime me every chance they get.

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can flash any fuel MAP in your ECU by yourself. DP ECU of course, too.

Here is all the information you need: forum of Ducatidiag
You can get free diagnostic tool there.
You can also get writer tool, which is not free, to flash your stock ECU.

Here are all the GT fuel map you will need:Ducati/GT1000/

I have flashed my stock ECU to be 96517006B, DP for SC1000.
All cost US$15 for cable, EU$40 for ECU registration.
The ECU may be re-flashed by any map you like for unlimited times.

It can also disable only the O2 sensor of stock ECU.
If you have a coded spare ECU, you can disable immobilization or revirgin it.

I think it is the cheapest and most efficient way to upgrade ECU.
I do not need FATDUC O2 any more.

You may read the thread, too.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/132923-ducatidiag-wow.html

·
Registered
257 Posts
Looks interesting but...........it's all in French.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You can flash any fuel MAP in your ECU by yourself. DP ECU of course, too.

Here is all the information you need: forum of Ducatidiag
You can get free diagnostic tool there.
You can also get writer tool, which is not free, to flash your stock ECU.

Here are all the GT fuel map you will need:Ducati/GT1000/

I have flashed my stock ECU to be 96517006B, DP for SC1000.
All cost US$15 for cable, EU$40 for ECU registration.
The ECU may be re-flashed by any map you like for unlimited times.

It can also disable only the O2 sensor of stock ECU.
If you have a coded spare ECU, you can disable immobilization or revirgin it.

I think it is the cheapest and most efficient way to upgrade ECU.
I do not need FATDUC O2 any more.

You may read the thread, too.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/132923-ducatidiag-wow.html
This looks cool. I work in IT so I'm familiar with soft modding my devices. However, as Bob noted, a lot of it is in French. I've been able to click around enough to find a download, install the software, and switch it to English. However, I'm not confident it's the correct version. Additionally, does the software create a backup of the stock ECU settings in case I screw up? I guess that's a question for the forum...

Re-flashing the ECU won't break my immobilizer, will it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
This looks cool. I work in IT so I'm familiar with soft modding my devices. However, as Bob noted, a lot of it is in French. I've been able to click around enough to find a download, install the software, and switch it to English. However, I'm not confident it's the correct version. Additionally, does the software create a backup of the stock ECU settings in case I screw up? I guess that's a question for the forum...

Re-flashing the ECU won't break my immobilizer, will it?
Here's the english section for all those do not know french.
ducatidiag :: Connexion

The latest Ducatidiag version is 2.4c.

You need a free license to enable all Ducatidiag function, if you have a IAW5AM ECU.
For IAW59M ECU, no license is needed.

You may dump stock ECU MAP and save it as a binary file.

You do not have to worry about screwing up ECU by Ducatidiag.
Ducatidiag is only a diagnostic tool, which can do some engine hardware tests, reset TPS, reset service warning, and trim CO value.
Actually Ducatidiag almost do no harm to ECU, because we can not change ECU core by it.

For flashing ECU, changing ECU core, you need the writer tool.

Re-flashing ECU won't break the immobilizer, though you may choose to disable it.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I bought the bike basically stock with a Fat Duc race line addition. I've played with the race line a few times and even had the dealer do a TPS reset when I had the tank replaced. The problem has just gotten worse over time. The bike runs lean, I'm seriously only getting 24 miles to the gallon right now.
Thanks!
Dude, check your plugs, at that MPG your running to rich not lean (Lean =to little fuel in mix, plugs would be white). You may be adjusting in wrong direction, if plugs are black. You want them as close to coco brown.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude, check your plugs, at that MPG your running to rich not lean (Lean =to little fuel in mix, plugs would be white). You may be adjusting in wrong direction, if plugs are black. You want them as close to coco brown.
Woops, I meant to type rich, not lean in my original post. The first thing I did was swap my plugs with Iridium ones. Still nothing...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You need a free license to enable all Ducatidiag function, if you have a IAW5AM ECU.

Ducatidiag is only a diagnostic tool, which can do some engine hardware tests, reset TPS, reset service warning, and trim CO value.
Actually Ducatidiag almost do no harm to ECU, because we can not change ECU core by it.

Re-flashing ECU won't break the immobilizer, though you may choose to disable it.
Where do I get the ECU writer tool?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The FatDuc is meant to make your bike run richer. If you are running rich at present, try disconnecting it and riding for a while, allowing time for the ECU to re-adjust.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's the next alternative from flashing my ECU on my own? Does anyone know? WASP system? Try to get my hands on an EU ECU?

On the to-do list:

Disconnect Fat Duc (I've tried this before but only for a few days, maybe I'll try longer this time).

Check exhaust leak (pretty sure it's fine, though. The previous owner did drill 2 extra holes to increase noise)

Check Coil Ignition

Check Air Intake

Check Spark Plug gaps

Voltage on battery

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
You can have Motowheels flash to DP specs for $250. But honestly if you have stock exhaust and air box, thats not the right solution. Just ditch the Fat Duc. I've read as many or more people having problems like you mentioned as ones who had benefits. Honestly I'm not even sure what the real benefit is on our bikes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've tried this before but only for a few days, maybe I'll try longer this time
As far as I know, the ECU should re-adjust itself in an hour or so of riding.

I second checking the Reg/Rec and if it's stock you should go MOSFET anyways. Do a search on that. Mine ran like crap then quit altogether.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Just ditch the Fat Duc. I've read as many or more people having problems like you mentioned as ones who had benefits. Honestly I'm not even sure what the real benefit is on our bikes.
This problem has to be analyzed and corrected, but unless the Fatduc has become defective - easy enough to check - just remove it from the loop - it is not a problem but a cure.

Like so many here the Fatduc was the complete solution to my GT's as delivered leaness. Without it it popped, ran jagged on off-throttle and lean surged. With it is is butter smoith.

-don

·
Registered
431 Posts
My experience was sending my ecu to motoelwheels to reflash it. Get the vip membership and its only 200 bucks. Then have your bike tuned. Saves all the down time waiting on a shop to do it. Gotham Cycles does it too but cost a little more.

·
Registered
152 Posts

wow. this is awesome info! thanks for sharing.

faint - you may have a bad TPS. just a thought.
otherwise i'd ask how many miles are on your bike and what kind of servicing you've completed to date.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow. this is awesome info! thanks for sharing.

faint - you may have a bad TPS. just a thought.
otherwise i'd ask how many miles are on your bike and what kind of servicing you've completed to date.
6,800 on the bike. I bought it with 6,200 and only performed minor maintenance... Oil, brakes, spark plugs, tank replaced, and a TPS reset by the dealer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My SC1000 has been having the same issues. It never responded to the FATDUC. Im curious to see if a TPS reset will help you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My SC1000 has been having the same issues. It never responded to the FATDUC. Im curious to see if a TPS reset will help you.
I had the dealer do a TPS reset about a month ago when the tank was replaced. It did not help... However, I'm skeptical they actually did do the reset. But that's just my gut.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts