Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to buy the MV Tail from a website in Germany. i purchased it but they returned my money b/c they will nnot send to the USA. can someone help please!

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
Legally? If you aren't licensed/permitted and have to get someone who is to do it, then somewhere not too far south of $1k I would think...

Bill
You don't have to be licensed or permitted, anyone can mail stuff IF they want to.

Some people are just too lazy to deal with the forms.

Tom

·
Registered
89 Posts
You don't have to be licensed or permitted, anyone can mail stuff IF they want to.
My mistake... Coincidentally I was also going back and forth to an arachnid forum (another hobby) discussing shipment of scorpions from Germany. Some types of scorps are referred to generally as 'Fat Tails', Germany is a common source and I cranked out a response faster than my brain registered the details.
The hoops you have to jump through to get live stuff into the USA make it a very expensive process, permits, brokers, inspections, etc. A dealer from Germany was recently charged/arrested for illegally shipping tarantulas in a sting operation by US Fish and Wildlife which has caused a bit of a stir in the arachnid keeping hobby.

Bill

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like you need to have it shipped to a sympathetic list member who's somewhere they'll ship to and have them forward it to you...
Since there's brokers who do bugs I'd presume there's some sort of broker for that sort of thing also but I would imagine it's not cheap unless you're spreading the cost over a quantity of items.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nope just 1 tail. ive shipped from usa to Singapore once and it was 60$ for 2-3 week boat ride. i hope its not more then that!!!????

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
But there is also the VAT problem.

Shipped direct to the USA, you don't pay German VAT (20%), just the US import duties on the value EXcluding VAT.

But, get it sent to someone in Germany (or other EU countries), and you pay the 20% VAT, and US duties on the value INcluding VAT.

Tom

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi,

How big is the tail? Shipping is quite expensive at 45 + Euros (conv is $1.4 to 1 Euro)... you should plan to spend about $100 for shipping... then you will have to deal with customs :rolleyes:

I buy stuff all the time in the US as it is pretty hard to find stuff here in Germany and the prices are really good in the US... I usually pay between $30 and $75 to have stuff shipped here... usually takes 3-4 weeks to get here and I have to pay 22% customs when it does arrive

Send me a link and I will take a look at it, I have helped someone before but it turnd out to be a bad deal... :mad:

Gray:think:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts