Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

can the weight of a 748 be supported by a block of wood and trolley jack under the sump? I intend to have the rear wheel on a stand before doing that. The reason is that I want to tighten my steering head bearings.

(My bike again started making a slight clunk in the front end when going over speedhumps and potholes. I always assumed this was "normal" because various mechanics told me so, but about a year ago the head stem bearings were found to be shot and replaced. The clunk disappeared, but has now reappeared. So I assume the steering head needs tightening, and I bought myself the tool. Now I need to figure out how to decompress the front end.)

Cheers,

bj.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
My personal opinion, but supporting the bike with a jack under the motor would concern me. I built a wood stand to hang the bike from when I put a new front end on mine.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
You can. I had to do it once when I didn't have a garage and was short on tools. But if you are doing just for the head bearings you don't need it off the ground.

·
9,757 Posts
Steering head bearings typically need a tightening after they have broken in.

Lifting from the sump with the rear wheel on a stand isn't the best option, but it'll work.

I personally lift from the frame with ratcheting nylon straps that are looped around beams in my garage's roof.

ps, a lot of guys build rigs like Hirshey's out of steel pipe using pre-made fittings found at any plumbing supply store. Lumber is quicker and cheaper though. Just make sure you reinforce it with steel brackets and big fat wood screws

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
265 Posts
My personal opinion, but supporting the bike with a jack under the motor would concern me. I built a wood stand to hang the bike from when I put a new front end on mine.

love the wall paint
well done on both

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,736 Posts
There is a better/safer way, can lift either end for work, the pin just slides in the engine mount tubes.
I made it from scrap rhs and a wheelie bin axle.
I just lift either end with the paddock stand, slide the supports in and lower away.
Can use the frame at the front and the paddock stand at the rear to have both wheels off the ground for serious servicing.

Attachments

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,736 Posts
I like that... "The ghetto lifter"
:cool:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol okay may try either way. I've seen a picture of someone suspending their front end from a ladder straddling the bike too.

But if I don't need to lift it like Namor says, then I can save this ghetto stand business for another day. :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
To adjust the steering bearings the weight needs to
be off them so the front wheel-suspension needs to be
free from the ground.

brian.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Get the back on a paddock stand then raise the front with a ratchet strap over the garage roof beams & under your front frame rails... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts