Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002, 748 / 853
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm about to change both sprockets and chain on a 2002 748.

My question is whether I can do it while the bike is on the side-stand? In other words, will the wheel come off when unfastening the big rear sprocket nut? Some people say it will, some say it will not - what's up and down here?

I do have a generic centre stand (one of those hydraulic things) but that fits poorly under the bike.
Maybe the answer is in my Haynes manual, but I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks,

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
You can swap the chain and sprockets while the bike is on the side stand. The large axle nut will allow you to remove the cush drive and sprocket. The wheel will not fall off. It is held to the hub on the other side by another large axle but.

·
Registered
2002, 748 / 853
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed you can and it looks like you have a quick change sprocket/carrier so don't need to touch the sprocket carrier nut, just the 6 nuts on the actual sprocket.
Well actually I have purchased a "normal" sprocket as it came in the chain and sprocket kit, so it seems I have to get the nut off. At any rate, if I can do it on the side-stand then that's what I'll do.

Thanks,

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Well actually I have purchased a "normal" sprocket as it came in the chain and sprocket kit, so it seems I have to get the nut off. At any rate, if I can do it on the side-stand then that's what I'll do.

Thanks,

Don't do that, use the quick change carrier and get a sprocket that suits, the carrier has retainers that stop the cush drive rubbers walking out the back of the carrier and damaging the eccentric, it's lighter as well and also makes sprocket changes much simpler.

·
Registered
2010 Ducati 848 Superbike
427 Posts
...the carrier has retainers that stop the cush drive rubbers walking out the back of the carrier and damaging the eccentric....
This happened to me a couple of months ago... a have the barest bee's dick of a sliver of eccentric left to grab onto to rotate for chain adjustment, those rubbers walked out and destroyed most of the alloy there.

Ouch!

·
Registered
841 Posts
the carrier has retainers that stop the cush drive rubbers walking out the back of the carrier and damaging the eccentric,
Or, the retaining clip groove can grow (for some weird reason) and also allow for the sprocket to move and do the same damage. I know this from first hand experience. Using 998 parts and milling some off of the eccentric can solve this.

·
Registered
2002, 748 / 853
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or, the retaining clip groove can grow (for some weird reason) and also allow for the sprocket to move and do the same damage. I know this from first hand experience. Using 998 parts and milling some off of the eccentric can solve this.
Hmm I see. The majority of you opt for the quick carrier. I'll stick to that then, and get a new sprocket for that. I see these are half price as well - even better. Will use the other one I have already purchased as a paper-weight.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Don't do that, use the quick change carrier and get a sprocket that suits, the carrier has retainers that stop the cush drive rubbers walking out the back of the carrier and damaging the eccentric, it's lighter as well and also makes sprocket changes much simpler.
I had both the above happen (on separate occasions).

The first time I put up with a slimmed down eccentric as I caught it in time but the second time it was too thin to adjust and obviously weakened so I had to buy a new hub.

Not only are replacement hubs & bearings expensive but I also needed a nigh on 200 mile recovery home in a van late one Sunday night after the cush popped.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can swap the chain and sprockets while the bike is on the side stand. The large axle nut will allow you to remove the cush drive and sprocket. The wheel will not fall off. It is held to the hub on the other side by another large axle but.
The wheel cannot come off the hub, but the whole hub/wheel assembly can slide out the right side of the eccentric with the sprocket carrier nut removed, so use caution.

·
Registered
2002, 748 / 853
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had both the above happen (on separate occasions).

The first time I put up with a slimmed down eccentric as I caught it in time but the second time it was too thin to adjust and obviously weakened so I had to buy a new hub.

Not only are replacement hubs & bearings expensive but I also needed a nigh on 200 mile recovery home in a van late one Sunday night after the cush popped.
Ouuuch! Alright! I have been convinced, converted and all that. Sprocket carrier it is. I wonder why the sprockets don't come with a "lip" that holds the cush in?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.