Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been out for my first night ride with the new HID dip beam......bl**dy fantastic but..............

Is it just me or can it be too good (at least with the original High Beam bulb) still fitted ?

Maybe it is me or perhaps it is psychological but whilst riding along on Dip everything is rosie , couldn't ask for more illumination. However when needing to switch occasionally to High (Dip Beam modified to stay on) my 'eye' does not move easilly to the far distance as it normally does because the brightness there is poorer than the area nearer (High does illuminate further but is a yellow colour and does not draw the eye to it naturally).
I found this quite disconcerting and had to conciously concentrate quite hard to maintain the forward view (like looking through a corner) rather than 'close-in' where my eyes naturally wanted to go because of the better light levels.

Has anybody else noticed this ?

I think I will be forced to switch the High Beam to HID to correct this situation but have been reluctant to do so because of the delayed charge time for the HID ballast ?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have HID on the high beam and I find that in practice the delay in achieving full brightness isn't really a problem. At first switch on it takes about 10 seconds to get fully bright but is most of the way there within 6 or 7 seconds. As long as it is not off for more than 15 seconds or so it will come back on at full brightness. On rural roads you don't meet that much oncoming traffic, at least around hear, so it is seldom off for longer periods than that. On busy A roads the volume of traffic means that it is seldom on main beam anyway.

One aspect of your problem may be the differing colour temperatures between the HID dip beam and the Halogen main beam. Your eye adjusts for the colour temperature of the light. When I had HIDs of 6,000K fitted everyone else's lights looked like red hot nails :D
I don't know what colour temperature your HID is but I found the best results for an HID/Halogen combination was to go for a colour temp of 4,300K along with one of the new generation of "brighter/whiter" halogens such as the Osram Night Breaker Plus so that both beams are of a similar colour temperature and you get the added advantage of a brighter main beam as well. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do you have a single beam low beam?

I installed a Bi-Xenon HID for my low bean, so it does low beam and Hi beam duties.

Problem I have with high beam is I am not sure the stock Halogen actually adds anything (That I can see anyway)

I love the HID.

Thinking of replacing the High beam bulb with an HID too.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is why I value this forum so much , there is always an answer promptly forthcoming.

"One aspect of your problem may be the differing colour temperatures between the HID dip beam and the Halogen main beam. Your eye adjusts for the colour temperature of the light."

That was my thought , I think I will just go for the HID upgrade on 'High' as I am otherwise impressed with the light output and I imagine our roads are similar to yours.

Thanks Derek

I will combine it with sorting out the voltmeter issue I have and a lack of power to my GPS mount that has just surfaced.........

Riding may be off the books this weekend anyway because , as I type , it is snowing !!!!!! :(

Still , will have MotoGP and WSBK's to watch :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
In my opinion, the best and safest way to do this is with a bi-xenon conversion. I've retrofitted a car, I have not taken on the bike conversion just yet.

Factors are 1) the factory halogen set up is pretty darn good (I have an 04) and 2) I really don't like riding at night, more beasts on the road.

-Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts