Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can take the rockers out of a Ducati 2005 749s head and install them in a 2006 749 head or would I be able to take the 749S heads and install them on the 749. If so would you know of any site or documentation that I could that would show me this can be done.
Reason I'm asking is my kid took his 2006 Ducati 749 to a shop they said they could put the 749s heads on and now they can't get the running.
Thanks for any help you can give me
Mark

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
as i understand it - the s opening rockers are a different profile and in conjunction with the s cams give more lift based on a rocker ratio type thing, but ive never put them side by side to see.

so you need to fit s cams and opening rockers as a set, not sure about closing rockers.

the heads themselves i think are the same holes on the underside wise. all the 749 excepting the r use the same head gasket.

i doubt the heads themselves would cause a non running issue. lack of performance under 9,000 rpm yes, but not a no go.

·
comrade moderator
27,413 Posts
Yeah, my 749S without any tune was underwhelming below 8k. I've owned inline four 600's that pulled harder.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
749 is such a mess between models, and with Ducati you ALWAYS have to check anyway.
Measure the valve stems, if both are 6mm its likely good, not bulletproof.
Dial it in in doubt! Making sure everything is right.

Rockers differing are openers, correctly assumed.
ALWAYS check cam timing along with clearance when messing around.
Have had too many turning up to the dyno with drop-in super duper pistons and I had to tell them to go home because the piston is touching the head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts